• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

legalize it already

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've written this before and it's unpopular among the stoner crowd but I'm against legalizing marijuana. My concern is over the draconian laws they're going to pass where you give an implied consent to a blood test for drugs the same way you now give an implied consent to the police giving you a breathalyzer test. I really don't want some moron cop with an attitude vampiring blood out of my arm because my eyes are bloodshot from swimming laps in the pool.

Police in some states (I believe Texas is one) can administer a roadside blood test already on drunk driving suspicion.

People get DUI's for driving while under the influence of drugs all the time without any set standard like BAC level for drinking and driving.

In regards to marijuana, it is metabolized extremely fast in the body. Pretty much an hour after use a blood test won't be able to determine how recently and how much marijuana was consumed. A blood test can detect the presence of marijuana in the user for nearly a week after usage, but the short term diagnostics aren't there like they are with a breathlyzer test for alcohol. There are currently zero standards for measuring marijuana intoxication and consumption levels. Current blood testing procedures can't provide that information after basically an hour of use.

I'm not sure whether the legal status of a chemical really has all that much relevance in the debate honestly. Even with illegal drugs, if there were accurate means of testing quantity ingestion and intoxication from such drugs like there is with alcohol, they would be currently employed by law enforcement. Think about that.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think your fears of roadside vampire testing due to bloodshot eyes on the way home from the pool are rather sensational.

Edd

I agree with Snoseek that legalization is coming but I'm less optimistic about how long it will take. Once the old guard dies in great enough numbers it should happen. I think alot of older folks are just misinformed and the attitudes are so ingrained that there is absolutely no convincing people that it's much ado about nothing.

On TV these days you notice much greater pot use than in the past. Regular, everyday folks getting stoned because that's just what many people do. Non-violent, tax-paying, educated, pay their bills on time kind of folks.

I've often wondered how much of a hand the alcohol industry has in preventing legalization.

hammer

I've never tried it and I'd never go near it (and I'm practically a non-drinker as well) but I don't see the big deal. Make it legal, regulate it, and get some tax revenue out of it like we do with other "sin" substances.

Seems to me that tobacco is a lot more dangerous long-term (father died from lung cancer and mom has lung problems, both likely due to decades of smoking) and that's been legal since when...forever?

Glenn

We spend a lot of money enforcing the laws on it. I often wonder if it's worth it. Arrest one supplier...another pops up. The drug trade is a huge source of crime as well. One only has to look at prohibition and what that did for the rise of organized crime.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
What I find interesting in this whole debate is that but for perhaps our lovely Gov. Cuomo, it's the conservative republicans, who are always expousing the evils of big government and excessive regulation, that are the ones that seem most against legalizing it and decriminalizing it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've often wondered how much of a hand the alcohol industry has in preventing legalization.

I would say the prescription drug companies play a very large roll. Partnership for a Drug Free America was started by the Johnson & Johnson family. Many of their major sponsors are pharmaceutical companies.

Companies like Pfizer stand to lose billions if people start growing a product in their yard to treat certain ailments as opposed to buying their expensive synthetic drugs that often carry horrible side effects.

http://www.drugfree.org/about/our-partners/sponsors-supporters

bigbog

For those in favor, would you want to do it infront of say your 5yr old kid? (And then try and explain to them that smoking ANYTHING isn't healthy??

If the answer is "no" then why bother in the 1st place??

Maybe we should keep the use of sedatives, possibly observed by children, confined to big-pharma pills and alcohol...? Is smoking a whole joint any different than guzzling down beer after beer in the middle of your tv room on the weekend till one becomes blind drunk?
Moderation in certain areas = what kids are not being taught. There are activities for kids...and there are activities for adults...no? Study hard, work diligently but have some choice of personal freedoms at home once you've grown up...but live in fear of a police state once home...y/n? In public = should be a crime...just as alcohol consumption...agreed.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
personally i think it's like anything else. you abuse it and it becomes an issue. I'm not a smoker but I know folks that smoke a couple times a year and are 100% normal. I also know some folks who smoke daily and even when they aren't high they just look demented and half brain dead. YOu know, like this;

snoop-dog-stoned-14.jpg

Anyway. I thought I heard last week that this was going to be coming down in MA to. Have to see if I can find where I read that.

2knees

I smoke 2 joints before I smoke 2 joints
and then i smoke 2 more.

SkiFanE

Maybe we should keep the use of sedatives, possibly observed by children, confined to big-pharma pills and alcohol...? Is smoking a whole joint any different than guzzling down beer after beer in the middle of your tv room on the weekend till one becomes blind drunk?
Moderation in certain areas = what kids are not being taught. There are activities for kids...and there are activities for adults...no? Study hard, work diligently but have some choice of personal freedoms at home once you've grown up...but live in fear of a police state once home...y/n? In public = should be a crime...just as alcohol consumption...agreed.

Moderation. My 16yo has been to Colombia 2x (actually 3, but she was just a baby first time), and is spending Junior year of HS there next year (leaves in July..sniff sniff). Everyone thinks of the country as drug ridden, dangerous, etc.. But did you know they have no laws against drugs and no drinking age? They just send all the drugs to the US, bwahaha. It is so socially 'bad' to do drugs, that noone does, even though they can. My girl went to a quinciniera party for her 15yo cousin when she was 14yo in Medellin. She had a beer, no big deal. But she also said how much more responsible adults are with alcohol, there were no drunk adults there, according to her. If you compare it to a wedding (she's been to many)...think of all the adults by last call that are stumbling drunk...none at that party. She went last summer at 15yo and went to teen parties with booze, no problems. They even have these 'chiva' buses that are parties on wheels in Bogota that teens/young adults hang out on and drink on...but again..they aren't falling down drunks out of control, just normal teens. I have zero fears of her going there next year. She doesn't go to her HS dances b/c of all the drunks there...and if she wanted to go to one, I'd be in fear...how crazy is that?!

2knees

I smoke 2 joints in the morning I smoke 2 joints at night
I smoke 2 joints in the afternoon it makes me feel alright

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
personally i think it's like anything else. you abuse it and it becomes an issue. I'm not a smoker but I know folks that smoke a couple times a year and are 100% normal. I also know some folks who smoke daily and even when they aren't high they just look demented and half brain dead.

And, I know many people that smoke pot daily and are extremely successful business owners, professionals, parents and people. What's your point here? Smoking a few hits of pot a day is not going to make one unhealthy or a burn-out if they lead an otherwise healthy lifestyle.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
So alcohol good, pot bad? If I had kids, I'd rather they be home and stoned than drinking and driving. (I'm using alcohol here because I know you drink beer per your posts about the Mount Snow bar, so just using a juxtaposition of vice here).

There are a lot of very high level athletes that smoke up. Smoking pot equals poor athletics? Really?

Freedom baby, freedom. Otherwise, let's go back to prohibition. We all have our vices, few of us live a 100% completely healthy lifestyle. Pretty judgmental to determine your vice is acceptable but someone else's is not. After all, drinking beer isn't exactly healthy and it is a leading cause of violence and shortened lifespan. You drink in front of your kids?
Michael Phelps comes to mind. Damn pot smoking swimmer won 7 gold medals. I like how everyone is worried about everyone eles's kids. You'd think parents would be more upset about bringing a kid into this country and instantly shackling them (as of today) with a $48,000 debt.

I've written this before and it's unpopular among the stoner crowd but I'm against legalizing marijuana. My concern is over the draconian laws they're going to pass where you give an implied consent to a blood test for drugs the same way you now give an implied consent to the police giving you a breathalyzer test. I really don't want some moron cop with an attitude vampiring blood out of my arm because my eyes are bloodshot from swimming laps in the pool.

There's no evidence of laws like that (or police using red-eyes as PC) in any of the 15 states with medical marijuana programs today. I'll send you some eye drops just in case.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think your fears of roadside vampire testing due to bloodshot eyes on the way home from the pool are rather sensational.
Vaporizers don't give you the red-eye. :wink:

We spend a lot of money enforcing the laws on it. I often wonder if it's worth it. Arrest one supplier...another pops up. The drug trade is a huge source of crime as well. One only has to look at prohibition and what that did for the rise of organized crime.
$40,000,000,00 a year with nothing to show for it. Supply and Demand are greater then ever. That's just for law-enforcement. The prison costs are even higher.

What I find interesting in this whole debate is that but for perhaps our lovely Gov. Cuomo, it's the conservative republicans, who are always expousing the evils of big government and excessive regulation, that are the ones that seem most against legalizing it and decriminalizing it.
Ironic, isn't it? Big pharma has deep pockets when they can get the D's and the R's to agree on something.

I smoke 2 joints before I smoke 2 joints
and then i smoke 2 more.
I smoke 2 joints in the morning I smoke 2 joints at night
I smoke 2 joints in the afternoon it makes me feel alright
2knees knows how to roll...:flag:

SkiFanE

And, I know many people that smoke pot daily and are extremely successful business owners, professionals, parents and people. What's your point here? Smoking a few hits of pot a day is not going to make one unhealthy or a burn-out if they lead an otherwise healthy lifestyle.

Same here..MDs, PhDs...CEOs... My lil sis had a cleaning job supplementing her income. One customer was a highly reputable hospital's head of the ED (and I worked there), he had a wicker coffee table in his LR that was loaded with seeds.

ScottySkis

I didn't start with mj into I was 20 and my life i was always depressed, I have been on antidepressant and for me they do not work, Mj always works, some people might smoke to much and plenty of people who are professionals smoke but you never know because its not they wright social thing to amit... it is great for cancer victims and takes away pain and brings hunger which they need, that is one thing I don't like personally is munchies causes me to want junk food but that i take responsible thing to do would eat fruits when i get munchies i should but i don't. I been off for a while because i looking for new job, it's really saved my life because i didn't enjoy life really into i tried mj, and i think to many police agency in our country will keep it illegal because of the money they make with it like that unfortunately.

JimG.

Staff member
Fascinating thread.

I agree it should be totally legal.

We live in a puritanical society that does some pretty wacked out things. Can't show nudity on
TV, but it's OK to show bodies and heads exploding into bloody messes. Laws say folks under 21 can't touch alcohol and if parents give kids alcohol they go to jail, then we wonder why kids kill themselves with alcohol when they come of age. Duh, if you don't get educated at a young age on how to imbibe safely, you won't!
And we have decided that pot is the gateway to a lifetime of addiction to harder drugs, yet there is no proof of that. I'd rather associate with a quiet stoner than a loud obnoxious drunk.

The kids argument just pisses me off. I have 3 boys. I'm not so naive as to think that if I tell them that pot is bad that they will stay away from it. Quite the opposite, the taboo is attractive. So they'll go check it out themselves. Just like alcohol education, I'd rather my kids learn from me as opposed to strangers.

I too believe that the alcohol lobby has alot to do with the continuing witch hunt perpetrated on the pot smoking community.

SkiFanE

I didn't start with mj into I was 20 and my life i was always depressed, I have been on antidepressant and for me they do not work, Mj always works, some people might smoke to much and plenty of people who are professionals smoke but you never know because its not they wright social thing to amit... it is great for cancer victims and takes away pain and brings hunger which they need, that is one thing I don't like personally is munchies causes me to want junk food but that i take responsible thing to do would eat fruits when i get munchies i should but i don't. I been off for a while because i looking for new job, it's really saved my life because i didn't enjoy life really into i tried mj, and i think to many police agency in our country will keep it illegal because of the money they make with it like that unfortunately.

I am one of the few middle aged wives I know that has not been on some type of anti-depressant at some point "to help over a rough hump". Reading the side effects makes me ill. Yet it's okay to admit that to the PTO crowd...yet I'd be ostracized or termed a bad influence if I admitted I lit up on occasion. Oh..there's even a yearly form for the schools for "safe houses"..where you sign it and say you have no drugs and alcohol is locked up...so if your kid is going to Jane's house you can be sure it's a "safe house". Haven't signed it in 10 years...I'm not a liar ;)

ctenidae

You need to know how to drink and not get sick or stupid.
You need to know how to smoke and not choke or get caught.
You need to know how to play pool, swim, and cheat at cards.
You need to know how to fire a gun and approach a dog.
You need to know how to talk to cops and priests.
You need to know how to drive a stick and back up a truck.

If you can do these things, you'll be just fine in life.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
personally i think it's like anything else. you abuse it and it becomes an issue. I'm not a smoker but I know folks that smoke a couple times a year and are 100% normal. I also know some folks who smoke daily and even when they aren't high they just look demented and half brain dead. YOu know, like this;

snoop-dog-stoned-14.jpg

Anyway. I thought I heard last week that this was going to be coming down in MA to. Have to see if I can find where I read that.
I know people who look like that all the time and never touch the greens. So what?

Funny, I've got that same jar. :p
317612_10150433913720802_207770190801_10423173_1421665022_n.jpg