• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

legalize it already

jimk

All the T shirt stores were going wild with the weed analogies….I must say I liked most of them but with my 16 YO daughter around I didn't go there !

Scotty, it's a free country and I wish you all the best. However, like Roma, I just got back from CO and was skiing there on Jan 1st and 2nd when this thing went into effect. Heard radio reports that the tourism/commerce people throughout much of CO are handling this topic with kid gloves. A lot of conservative old tourists like myself and/or family types view a bunch of open dope smoking in public places (such as liftlines or ski town sidewalks) as a big negative. They are waiting to see how the public accepts this before jumping on the bandwagon to promote it and risk backlash.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Scotty, it's a free country and I wish you all the best. However, like Roma, I just got back from CO and was skiing there on Jan 1st and 2nd when this thing went into effect. Heard radio reports that the tourism/commerce people throughout much of CO are handling this topic with kid gloves. A lot of conservative old tourists like myself and/or family types view a bunch of open dope smoking in public places (such as liftlines or ski town sidewalks) as a big negative. They are waiting to see how the public accepts this before jumping on the bandwagon to promote it and risk backlash.

Do you have a similar view of people drinking beer openly at sporting events?

ScottySkis

http://admin.alternet.org/drugs/it-...1088550.m3vv0r&rd=1&src=newsletter941597&t=11

9 Study: No Association Between Cannabis Smoking And Lung Cancer
Subjects who regularly inhale cannabis smoke possess no greater risk of lung cancer than do those who consume it occasionally or not at all, according to data presented in May at the annual meeting of the American Academy for Cancer Research. UCLA investigators analyzed data from six case-control studies, conducted between 1999 and 2012, involving over 5,000 subjects (2,159 cases and 2,985 controls). They reported, “Our pooled results showed no significant association between the intensity, duration, or cumulative consumption of cannabis smoke and the risk of lung cancer overall or in never smokers.”

deadheadskier

Staff member
what is the colorado law on openly cosumption in a public place?

Open containers used to be allowed in Pitkin County as recent as 2001. You could drive down the road drinking a beer, as long as you weren't drunk. Not sure what the laws are around the state today.

snoseek

None seems to mind if you're drinking a pbr in the lot at Loveland/abasin/mary jane. That's my excuse when I fire one up.

ScottySkis

I should have said the public cosumption of marijuana, what does the new law say,

What is that? Cannabis is the proper name. Don't know what the law is but at least it is a start, a lot of people use it professionals and all kinds. If it weren't for Cannabis my anxiety and depression would have had me done something stupid. Besides look at any people on chair lift and when you see smoke coming from the chair it probably not tobacco.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I should have said the public cosumption of marijuana, what does the new law say,

I believe it's still illegal to consume in public. So, I'm not sure I understand the argument of people concerned about their kids seeing others partake in public any more than the chances of that happening now.

bdfreetuna

Right. Like everyone is going to try smoking weed (I mean Cannabis sorry Scotty) in public for the first time just because they can buy it legally.

I'm personally much less offended by 2nd hand cannabis smoke vs 2nd hand tobacco smoke. Although I might be offended if that 2nd hand cannabis smoke doesn't turn into 1st hand cannabis smoke soon thereafter.

Beware the Cheebahawk

ScottySkis

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-York-State-Committee-to-Legalize-Marijuana/134828109898362
This is a good page for getting it legal in NY state and they need people to help.

HELP WANTED/HELP WANTED/HELP WANTED
*GET MARIJUANA LEGALIZED IN N.Y.S.*

TITLE: COMMUNITY ORGANIZER.
HOURS: 10 - 40 HOURS PER WEEK.
WAGES: Voluntary.

WHO WE ARE: The ‘New York State Committee To Legalize Marijuana’ is a project of ‘The American Pot Smokers Association’.

OUR MISSION: The ‘Committee’s’ mission is to get marijuana legalized and regulated in New York State.

(100) Community Organizers

We are looking for people who live in New York State to work together with ‘The New York State Committee To Legalize Marijuana’ to get marijuana legalized in New York State.

No formal training is required to be a community organizer. Most community organizers should come from a background of study in social justice issues, social services, and they want marijuana legalized. You Can Make a Difference by establishing a group, encourage Democratic Participation; have regular meetings, communicate with 'Committee' every week.

Description
• Community organizers will work to advance and promote the legalization of marijuana, teach leadership, and develop contacts with people and other Organizations who can help in our

skiNEwhere

DENVER - Thieves have been stealing the 420 mile marker sign so often, the state's transportation department has changed it to "419.99" in an effort to try and stop the problem.
A photo of the 419.99 mile marker sign, which is about 148 miles on Interstate 70 east of Denver, began circulating on twitter through the @JournalistsLike twitter account on Friday.
"So this is our way to test it out. So far it's working," said Amy Ford, a spokesperson with the Colorado Department of Transportation. "It's a traffic safety thing. It's a helpful thing to have these sings on the road. But people kept ripping them off."
The number 420 is often used as a reference to smoking marijuana.
The 419.99 sign has been put up within the last year Ford said.
Ford also says they've had problems with thieves stealing the 69 mile marker sign in the past.

1389395352000-420-milemarker.jpg