• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NHL hockey playoffs start tonight

ScottySkis

Who were those goalies tonight? I didn't recognize either of them.

Crazy game, I think I should go get some blood pressure pills before game 6.

Well they needed the defense to step it up, congratulations to Devils fans your team is playing harder then mind, we need two more but it be tough, lets go Ranger's.

4aprice

To quote Yogi Berra "Its deja vu all over again". We (the Devils and their fans) were in this same position 18 years ago. (can't believe it was that long ago). I certainly hope that history does not repeat itself. I will not throw dirt on the Ranger's until that final buzzer sounds and the Devils have the lead. LETS GO DEVILS

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

jaytrem

I will not throw dirt on the Ranger's until that final buzzer sounds and the Devils have the lead. LETS GO DEVILS

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Yeah, it's still far from over. Elimination games are always tough, I'm sure the Rangers will bring everything the got. For now I'm just thankfull we survied game 6, stupid 3 goal leads!!!

Scotty, thanks for your graciousness, may the best team win.

JimG.

Staff member
The game was a microcosm of the series so far...Devils get ahead, Rangers catch up.

Both goalies were less than spectacular last night. I was kind of glad it ended in regulation, I was too tired to last through OT.

See all you Devils fans back at the Garden for game 7...we all know that's where we are headed.

And the longer the LA Kings sit the better for the Eastern Conference winner.

jaytrem

And the longer the LA Kings sit the better for the Eastern Conference winner.

I don't know, the Rangers often look tired out there. I think that might be a big part of the reason the Devils are doing so well. The high of winning a couple days before the next round might carry over a bit, but I think I'd rather have the extra days off.

kickstand

I don't know, the Rangers often look tired out there. I think that might be a big part of the reason the Devils are doing so well. The high of winning a couple days before the next round might carry over a bit, but I think I'd rather have the extra days off.

And couple the fact that both teams are tired, it doesn't matters who LA plays, I think they're the favorite. The eastern conference plays a much more physical game than the western, but it's hard to keep that up when you're tired. LA is great at taking advantage of mistakes, and you tend to make more mistakes when you're tired.

Plus, assuming it's NYR, they'll have played the maximum number of games needed to make the Cup finals, where as LA has played only 2 over the minimum. You can't dismiss a team having that much rest and that much less wear and tear on their bodies.

JimG.

Staff member
And couple the fact that both teams are tired, it doesn't matters who LA plays, I think they're the favorite. The eastern conference plays a much more physical game than the western, but it's hard to keep that up when you're tired. LA is great at taking advantage of mistakes, and you tend to make more mistakes when you're tired.

Plus, assuming it's NYR, they'll have played the maximum number of games needed to make the Cup finals, where as LA has played only 2 over the minimum. You can't dismiss a team having that much rest and that much less wear and tear on their bodies.

It's happened many times before that the "hot" team in the playoffs wins a semifinal series early and then has to sit and watch the other semi go to 7 games. By the time the finals start the edge the hot team has because they are playing well disappears because of all the rest.

Alot of experts say the Kings weren't really an 8 seed, but their record over the regular season put them there. That counts for something and it is certainly possible that they will revert to their regular season form.

Not saying it's a given, just saying.

ScottySkis

Ranger's are a inexperienced in playoffs, so I have no problem losing to fantastic Martin, its been a great 20 years of seeing him save so many pucks, i kind of want him to win one more cup, and Ranger's should be set for a few seasons to go into deep playoffs rounds.

jaytrem

Alot of experts say the Kings weren't really an 8 seed, but their record over the regular season put them there. That counts for something and it is certainly possible that they will revert to their regular season form.

There's just so much parity these days I think it's hard to predict anything. I wouldn't be surpised is any of the 3 remaining teams missed the playoffs next year. I rememeber looking at the 1 through 8 seeds before the playoffs started and thought anybody other than the Panthers and Senators could win it (Florida was in a huge slump).

kickstand

It's happened many times before that the "hot" team in the playoffs wins a semifinal series early and then has to sit and watch the other semi go to 7 games. By the time the finals start the edge the hot team has because they are playing well disappears because of all the rest.

I agree. Sometimes sitting is not the best thing. However, the NHL is going to make them sit anyway. Even if the Devils take Game 6 on Friday, they're all sitting around until next Wednesday:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=632441

So, assuming the Devils are getting hot after taking 2 straight from NYR to win it, they have to sit another 5 days. Personally, I can't stand the way scheduling is done most of the time, but it is what it is. Possibly going all of Memorial Day weekend without any playoff hockey stinks.

JimG.

Staff member
I agree. Sometimes sitting is not the best thing. However, the NHL is going to make them sit anyway. Even if the Devils take Game 6 on Friday, they're all sitting around until next Wednesday:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=632441

So, assuming the Devils are getting hot after taking 2 straight from NYR to win it, they have to sit another 5 days. Personally, I can't stand the way scheduling is done most of the time, but it is what it is. Possibly going all of Memorial Day weekend without any playoff hockey stinks.

Yeah, the NHL and NBA do this dumb scheduling stuff. Drags these series out forever, takes away from the excitement.

JimG.

Staff member
Congratulations Devils fans...my Rangers gave you all you could handle but it wasn't enough.

BEAT LA!

jlboyell

at least the penguins are out. gotta root for the kings, its philadelphia west. mike richards, jeff carter, simon gagne, gotta root for em. oh yeah im a flyers fan...

jaytrem

Congratulations Devils fans...my Rangers gave you all you could handle but it wasn't enough.

BEAT LA!

Thanks, can't believe the Devils are in the finals. Was crazy how things were matching up like 1994 so much. Very happy there is no game 7, don't think the old ticker could have handled it.

4aprice

BEAT LA!

JimG, Scotty:

I want to say Thank You for the way you guys handled this series. Hockey is such an emotional game and its easy to get down in the gutter, but you guys kept it on the up and up. I do think I have an idea of how you guys feel today because of what happened 18 years ago last night. As a Devil fan it was a long wait but it finally feels like that cloud is gone.(It was always there despite winning 3 cups) The New York Rangers are a GREAT team, have GREAT fans and I think a very bright future. Remember after that crushing defeat in 94 the Devils won the cup the next year so keep your chins up.

LA is going to be a steep mountain to climb. Really hope Marty can get #4 and match the great Patrick Roy. LETS GO DEVILS

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

ScottySkis

JimG, Scotty:

I want to say Thank You for the way you guys handled this series. Hockey is such an emotional game and its easy to get down in the gutter, but you guys kept it on the up and up. I do think I have an idea of how you guys feel today because of what happened 18 years ago last night. As a Devil fan it was a long wait but it finally feels like that cloud is gone.(It was always there despite winning 3 cups) The New York Rangers are a GREAT team, have GREAT fans and I think a very bright future. Remember after that crushing defeat in 94 the Devils won the cup the next year so keep your chins up.

LA is going to be a steep mountain to climb. Really hope Marty can get #4 and match the great Patrick Roy. LETS GO DEVILS

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Thanks Alex, I really always have loved Martin and am happy for him, Rangers honestly played better in regular season then there talent I always thought we were a good team with a great goalie. I think that as long as we do not do what we did in past(trading away good young players for stars that are not in their youth years we should have lots more great post seasons to come. I am happy for Devils and their fans and will root for them to beat LA. I want to see Martin drink from the cup he has been great for hockey and I been lucky to see him live several times and will always have found memories, lets go Devils.

JimG.

Staff member
JimG, Scotty:

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

My team played well, that's all I ever hope for. Brodeur was better than Lundquist in the last 2 games by a hair and that's all it took.

Alot of upside for NY in years to come.