• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington - Best news of the new millenia!

mondeo

As I posted over on KZone, the announcement was for the 2012 Dew Tour. Killington already had a Dew Tour stop in 2012. The next Dew Tour stop at Killington would be in 2013.

People are jumping the gun a little bit early on this one.

Highway Star

As I posted over on KZone, the announcement was for the 2012 Dew Tour. Killington already had a Dew Tour stop in 2012. The next Dew Tour stop at Killington would be in 2013.

People are jumping the gun a little bit early on this one.

Please re-read the article.

They have changed the whole summer/winter dew tour format. They went from 6(+?) events, to 3 events, with only one being a winter event.

From the link:

Host Perspective:
Reply from Killington (eastern host last 2 years): "We’re definitely disappointed that the Dew Tour won’t be returning to Killington or the east coast next winter. The Killington community really got behind the event in year’s past so it’s a shame to see it go. Hopefully that dedication will mean the return of high profile events in the future." - Chris Danforth, Marketing Manager, Killington Resort

Although, it would be more accurate to say most people wanted to get behind it and push it out of town.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'll never see it, but I'd be curious to see a cost/benefit analysis next season without the event. It's hard to do on revenue measurement because obviously weather/conditions skews business levels and it's hard to put a number on K's return on free advertising from being host.

Hard to do on a cost measurement because weather will dictate how much of that snow they would need to blow on other areas of the mountain. A cold and great snow year and NO ONE would bitch about how much snowmaking the Dew tour requires.

After this difficult season, I can certainly see how many K regulars are happy the Dew Tour isn't happening next season.

It was more than just the snowmaking that the Dew Tour used. Another huge problem was the trail closures for weeks before and during the event. Essentially, it forced most skiers at Bear to have to travel down one trail (Lower Wildfire) to return to the lift. It was not just annoying - the overcrowding was often downright dangerous. How can you put a dollar figure on that? Good riddance indeed!

RENO

They're just gonna have a different event. They've had other events before the Dew tour. BMMC is dead and buried plus it's boring without the party which is the main thing that's missing and won't be returning.

skiur

They're just gonna have a different event. They've had other events before the Dew tour. BMMC is dead and buried plus it's boring without the party which is the main thing that's missing and won't be returning.

events are ok, the problem is when the event shuts down that section of the mountain for over a month.

RENO

events are ok, the problem is when the event shuts down that section of the mountain for over a month.

I wasn't totally against the DEW tour. I thought it was pretty cool to check out some of the incredible things the athletes can do. Like you said, I was against the closing of so much terrain for several weeks and funneling everybody down 1 trail at the bottom which made weekends a dangerous mess. With the weather being so crappy this season, it seemed like we barely had any runs at Bear. Then after the event was over and you were able to use the terrain that was closed off for the event, they stopped running the Bear Quad midweek :x, thus limiting the terrain on the other side?! Really was an odd mess at Bear this season...

Highway Star

I too somewhat enjoyed the event in passing for various reasons, but the cost to skiing at Bear and the snowmaking certainly were not worth it.

I think Killington's park and freestyle venue at Bear is basicly pretty poor. Not a fan of the pipe location - one wall ice, one wall mush most of the time. Dreamaker is too flat and narrow for a proper park. Then they take over all of lower skyeburst for a major park event and close lower dreamaker.....:roll:

If I was running the place, the main park would be moved to lower wildfire, and the pipe would be moved to between OL and LWF below spacewalk. That way everything is on one route below the stash.

I would use superstar (or part of it) for a major park event, and blow snow on it accordingly.

drjeff

I too somewhat enjoyed the event in passing for various reasons, but the cost to skiing at Bear and the snowmaking certainly were not worth it.

I think Killington's park and freestyle venue at Bear is basicly pretty poor. Not a fan of the pipe location - one wall ice, one wall mush most of the time. Dreamaker is too flat and narrow for a proper park. Then they take over all of lower skyeburst for a major park event and close lower dreamaker.....:roll:

If I was running the place, the main park would be moved to lower wildfire, and the pipe would be moved to between OL and LWF below spacewalk. That way everything is on one route below the stash.

I would use superstar (or part of it) for a major park event, and blow snow on it accordingly.

Serious question for you HS. Would you be willing to "give up" a trail pod of atleast 3 to 5+ trails at K for them to totally dedicate to just parks and a pipe(s) something along the lines of what Mount Snow has done with Carinthia??

As weird and on 1st glance as crazy as it sounds, from the perspective of a skier, whose park use is mainly confined to just following my kids through the park from the side of the features and occasionally going off a small jump in a small park, the concept of having all the park features in 1 trail pod really has worked, and has allowed a strong marketing presence to a sector of the skier/rider market who tends to show up from opening to closing day reguardless of the weather, and has also served to keep the traffic that tends to spend the majority of their day in the parks off of non park trails

oakapple

I'm not sure Killington has an entire trail pod that anyone would willingly sacrifice to the Terrain Park gods. Mount Snow fortuitously had a layout where that made sense. Killington does not.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I'm not sure Killington has an entire trail pod that anyone would willingly sacrifice to the Terrain Park gods. Mount Snow fortuitously had a layout where that made sense. Killington does not.
Rams Head. Scrap the whole family slow area concept.

drjeff

When Mount Snow took Carinthia over for an all park area (I believe it's been 4 seasons now) there was, and still is some griping about folks who liked to cruise some of the trails over there in a park free environment who no longer would have those options. This is till the case as can be witnessed early season as their working on making enough snow to build the park features and typically have some of the trails over there open in a "park free" state, and they tend to have a pretty high skier density on them for that short period of time. Also, this year, when because of mother nature's generally non cooperative ways, they didn't build their largest park, Inferno (the old Stugger's Chute trail in it's pre-park days) until early February, and there was plenty of "cruiser" as well as racer traffic on it day in and day out. The flipside though is that by giving up that pod of terrain, the remainder of the mountain generally seems to be a "better" experience for those that used to like cruising those trails that are now parks.

If K would do something like this, would there be an "ideal" area of terrain for it, absolutely not. Someone would always complaing about "loosing" such and such a trail(s), and not just because it involves K and complaining ;) For K, one would presume that because of all the ski school facilities there that Snowshed and Ramshead would be "off limits" as a full park pod conversion, but aside from that, I would think that almost anywhere else could be a potential site (and PLENTY of folks would make likely a valid arguement for why one pod should or shouldn't be used), but if this was something that could be done where a few trails are "given up" to make things better for an active and enthusiastic market segment, would that be a bad thing??

And BTW, I know it's TOTALLY different in layout, but at Park City Mountain Resort, *if* Powdr gets to run it next year, they've consolidated most of their parks into a relatively small area of the mountain out there, so they have done something like this elsewhere. Who knows???

Highway Star

When Mount Snow took Carinthia over for an all park area (I believe it's been 4 seasons now) there was, and still is some griping about folks who liked to cruise some of the trails over there in a park free environment who no longer would have those options. This is till the case as can be witnessed early season as their working on making enough snow to build the park features and typically have some of the trails over there open in a "park free" state, and they tend to have a pretty high skier density on them for that short period of time. Also, this year, when because of mother nature's generally non cooperative ways, they didn't build their largest park, Inferno (the old Stugger's Chute trail in it's pre-park days) until early February, and there was plenty of "cruiser" as well as racer traffic on it day in and day out. The flipside though is that by giving up that pod of terrain, the remainder of the mountain generally seems to be a "better" experience for those that used to like cruising those trails that are now parks.

If K would do something like this, would there be an "ideal" area of terrain for it, absolutely not. Someone would always complaing about "loosing" such and such a trail(s), and not just because it involves K and complaining ;) For K, one would presume that because of all the ski school facilities there that Snowshed and Ramshead would be "off limits" as a full park pod conversion, but aside from that, I would think that almost anywhere else could be a potential site (and PLENTY of folks would make likely a valid arguement for why one pod should or shouldn't be used), but if this was something that could be done where a few trails are "given up" to make things better for an active and enthusiastic market segment, would that be a bad thing??

And BTW, I know it's TOTALLY different in layout, but at Park City Mountain Resort, *if* Powdr gets to run it next year, they've consolidated most of their parks into a relatively small area of the mountain out there, so they have done something like this elsewhere. Who knows???

Not quite sure what your point is here, but Bear is the park/freeride area.