• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt. Washington Auto Road: Early Opening?

snowmonster

The Auto Road Facebook page is saying that they might open earlier than usual. Posted photos show that they've begun clearing the road at Mile 6. Slackcountry skiing on the Great Gulf or the snowfields, anyone?

Cornhead

Hum, maybe this will be an option for me. I was planning a trip to Vermont this weekend, looks like a washout. I think I read that T4T is thinking of moving up the date of their "Slackfest". I attended last year's, and there wasn't much left of the snowfields then. If they do open it early, maybe I'll take a trip to NH.

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
There's no official T4T Slackfest, there usually are several. This year the window will be pretty small, and there will be groups up there the first weekend Otto opens, whenever that is. How much snow is left by then is the big question.

Cornhead

There's no official T4T Slackfest, there usually are several. This year the window will be pretty small, and there will be groups up there the first weekend Otto opens, whenever that is. How much snow is left by then is the big question.

Thanks David, It was nice to meet you last year. Thanks for posting my pic also, I don't have too many of myself in action, as I am usually solo. Hopefully I'll be able to make it this year, if not, I'm sure I'll be back to Mt. Washington and Tux in the future.

awf170

http://timefortuckerman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9975

The one and only official slackfest. Day was one of my all time best. Probably would have my been my best ever if I made back in time for hot dogs and hamburgers. ;)

Breeze

Lets all hope that the Road Crew has been able to open up culverts this week....AND that the coming precip isn't ALL NCP on the Rockpile.

Its easier and faster to push snow off the road than it is to rebuild the road when it gets washed out. Pushing some new snow off the road right now is a pretty minor consideration compared to the threat of 4 inches of NCP in 48 hrs.

Anyone care to guess how many drainage culverts need Spring Cleaning on the Auto Road?

Breeze