Training to Hike Mount Washington - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 57
  1. #31
    Love the Dacks in the fall.


  2. #32
    RENO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by andyzee View Post
    Love the Dacks in the fall.
    Love anyplace up north in the fall!

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by RENO View Post
    Love anyplace up north in the fall!
    Like it up north any season of the year.

  4. #34
    Cracks me up on those days when the Presidentials are in the fog with 30' visibility, and one range away, LaFayette is offering 100 mile views

  5. #35
    RENO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by mattm59 View Post
    Cracks me up on those days when the Presidentials are in the fog with 30' visibility, and one range away, LaFayette is offering 100 mile views
    I'd like to do the Franconia Ridge Trail. Never did it. Maybe this will be the year! The White mountains are my favorite area to hike in the northeast!

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by RENO View Post
    I'd like to do the Franconia Ridge Trail. Never did it. Maybe this will be the year! The White mountains are my favorite area to hike in the northeast!
    Hey, Reno! Let me know if you're interested in hiking the local hills AZ mentioned - Breakneck Ridge, for example. Need a partner. Might hook up with AZ sometime as well, if he's available.

  7. #37

    some pix

    some pix of last summers whites trip. Franconia ridge was sweet, and we took the train up washington, which was a hoot. Franconia was in the sun, presidentials in the fog... Also climbed the shortest 4,000 footer, Mt. Tecumseh, which was down the road from our site. Climbed Cannon and Mooselauke the year before, in addition to LaFayette. Good weather on the tops of all those, while Washington never attracted me weatherwise, seeing as I was homeless for awhile in my younger years, and no longer feel the need to suffer

    http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/580639333PgtlZb
    Last edited by mattm59; Apr 26, 2012 at 3:52 PM.

  8. #38
    Like said weather is probably the biggest shock in the Presis. Be prepared for any weather period. It will be 90 in the Notches and the summit will be 50 with 50+ MPH winds...on a good day. My first time there it was in 40s, 20 foot of visiblitiy maybe, and sleet on the way up. Then I was trapped in the summit building waiting a TStorm passing...This was in mid july. I've been on Washington several times and am disappointed with it. Too much going on. I even had the summit to myself one time and it's disappointing sitting among all the structures despite the view. In summer the summit is a madhouse with cars, train smoke, SOOOO many people. Pretty much any route will have some people on it.
    Adams is my favorite peak in the range and it has many great trail options. You could combine Adams with Madison or Jefferson to make a loop and get quite a bit of time above treeline and would still see less people than Washington and there are a couple of shelters and a hut to escape weather if need be. Another great summit in the Whites with an easier approach but great alpine zone is Mt. Moosilauke, the approach up the AT (carriage road) is fairly tame despite elaevation gain and you get a nice alpine walk.
    I've never been there but I hear both the Precipice and Devil's Path in the Catskills are tough trails that might be training options. More up and down but good endurance builders. Just get out and hike as much as you can to train.

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Like said weather is probably the biggest shock in the Presis. Be prepared for any weather period. It will be 90 in the Notches and the summit will be 50 with 50+ MPH winds...on a good day. My first time there it was in 40s, 20 foot of visiblitiy maybe, and sleet on the way up. Then I was trapped in the summit building waiting a TStorm passing...This was in mid july. I've been on Washington several times and am disappointed with it. Too much going on. I even had the summit to myself one time and it's disappointing sitting among all the structures despite the view. In summer the summit is a madhouse with cars, train smoke, SOOOO many people. Pretty much any route will have some people on it.
    Adams is my favorite peak in the range and it has many great trail options. You could combine Adams with Madison or Jefferson to make a loop and get quite a bit of time above treeline and would still see less people than Washington and there are a couple of shelters and a hut to escape weather if need be. Another great summit in the Whites with an easier approach but great alpine zone is Mt. Moosilauke, the approach up the AT (carriage road) is fairly tame despite elaevation gain and you get a nice alpine walk.
    I've never been there but I hear both the Precipice and Devil's Path in the Catskills are tough trails that might be training options. More up and down but good endurance builders. Just get out and hike as much as you can to train.
    Very helpful, Tomcat! Appreciate it. Going to look up those peaks in the Catskills!

  10. #40
    Cannonball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    This user has been deleted
    Posts
    3,670
    All of the advice given here is great and should be heeded. There is certainly the potential for issues (especially weather). But at the same time don't let all of the talk intimidate you. On a nice day, on a good route, it's really not that hard a hike for a reasonably fit person. You'll see young kids, elderly people, and everyone in between on the trail and on the summit.

    Common sense is your best tool. Be prepared for the weather and be willing to turn back if needed. Follow the advice for gear, water, routes, and weather forecasts. Then find a comfortable pace for yourself, relax, and enjoy! And then post pics......
    Last edited by Cannonball; Apr 27, 2012 at 3:23 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:48 AM.