• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Bross & Cameron 5/1/12 *My first 14er*

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Date(s) Hiked: May 1st, 2012

Trails(s) Hiked: Front of Bross (Dolly Varden/following switchbacks)

Total Distance: Really don't know...14ers.com says 4 miles but we crossed that path so I'd say 4mi+

Difficulty: Moderate to easy to difficult (mostly based on weather conditions)

Conditions: Sunny, warm on bottom. Sunny, windy, cold halfway to top.

Special Required Equipment: We didn't need snowshoes or anything else. Special equipment for us required just being prepared (hats, mittens, food, water, etc)

Trip Report: My first edited video..be kind, it is a bit long. We started our hike right from our house around 8:30 am and had summited both peaks by 12:30. Took a couple breaks to let the dogs drink and for us to have some snacks but were back home by 2:00. Total round trip 5.5. hours. I will try to make a more detailed TR in the next couple days. Enjoy!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Great vid! like the summit beers.

Even thought the vid was shot with an iphone i'm still wondering why it came out so narrow. it should be high res. at least 720p wide scene. did you hold the phone vertically while shooting maybe?

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
i'm sure i did...and when i uploaded it the time for a 'medium' sized video really appealed to me for 20 minutes v. 3 hours. regardless 75% of the pics/vids were from the iPhone.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
^ That's the plan..now that I've done those two (although Cameron isn't "ranked" as 14er) I hope to get a lot more in this summer.

skiNEwhere

I climbed Gray's, Torrey's, and Mt.Elbert, which were 7,7 and 9 miles respectively. Pretty damn tiring lol I hope to conquer all of them everytually, I'm thinking of climbing elbert again in the winter and skiing down, looks like it has some good lines

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
yeah this hike was not really what it says.... ha! we summmitted Bross but not Cameron. I ended up doing Bross, Cameron, Lincoln and Democrat in one hike from Kite Lake and realized that this was not an accurate description of what I thought we hiked. I ended up hiking a total of 13 14ers this summer...I am really excited to do some winter hikes (probably hike/ski quandaray and baldy this winter) and get back into it again next summer.

I haven't hiked Elbert but I did do Grays and Torreys a few weeks ago. I'd like to do Elbert and get some turns out of it this winter, that sounds fun!

skiNEwhere

When climbing Gray's/Torrey's, did you see anyone running? I saw that, and they ran all the way to the top, blew my mind

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
HA no but i have a friend who runs up 14ers. My girlfriend and I hiked Mt. Bierstadt and invited him along, he thought we were running up it, we were like uh no, we are hiking it?? so he bailed. Apparently there are some crazy people out there...granted Bierstadt is pretty moderate, still, I don't think you would catch me running up it.

snoseek

I climbed Gray's, Torrey's, and Mt.Elbert, which were 7,7 and 9 miles respectively. Pretty damn tiring lol I hope to conquer all of them everytually, I'm thinking of climbing elbert again in the winter and skiing down, looks like it has some good lines

Grays/torreys has some super bad ass lines. You will need to wait till late late spring to get on them though.