• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Hampshire v Vermont

SF1966

I may have an opportunity to relocate to Rutland, VT or the Plymouth NH area. We have 3 active boys with one in high school.

Part of the reason to leave my current southeastern location is to live proximate to ski areas. I know Killington & Pico are good, tell me about ski areas in New Hampshire, proximate to Plymouth, with pros and cons.

:daffy:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I moved from MA to VT (St. Johnsbury) and then settled down in Plymouth. I can't help you with Rutland. But I can say I enjoy where we are in NH much more than we enjoyed St. Johnsbury. I don't have kids but from what I understand, Plymouth has a good school system.

Don't choose based on ski areas unless being close to a specific one is really important to you (which it sounds like that is not the case). Both Rutland and Plymouth have the benefit of being sandwiched between Lakes and Mountains. Rutland is a little bigger and more congested. Plymouth is right off an Interstate which is good for access. 40 minutes to Concord, 1 hour to Manchester, and 1.5 hours to Boston so Plymouth is a bit closer to cities. 1:45 from Rutland to Burlington, consider that your mini-Boston alternative in VT (its a little slice of Cambridge in VT). White Mountains have tremendous four season including hiking. Rutland is close to the Dacks though, not as close as Plymouth to the Whites (literally on the doorstep).

New Hampshire has no sales tax and no income tax. Property tax is a high percentage but land isn't too bad, especially if you don't live in Plymouth proper. Plymouth High School is regional so you can get the good school without actually living in town. Vermont has sales tax and income tax. Minor consideration but there it is.

You can get to any ski area in VT that matters in about 2.5 hours from Plymouth and there are good options within 40 minutes (Waterville, Loon, Ragged, and Cannon) and more good options just a little further out (Bretton Woods and Burke). Night skiing at Gunstock or Pat's are within an hour if you are into that sorta thing.

Here is something interesting to note: Rutland to Jay Peak is 3 Hours but it is only 2 Hours from Plymouth. Same distance from Smuggs and only a few minutes faster to Stowe. Everything else is closer to Rutland but if you love NoVT and especially Jay, ironically central NH is closer than much of central VT.

Vermont gets more snow on average than NH and I-93 resorts (Loon and Waterville) tend to be very crowded on weekends. Views at NH mountains are superior in every possible way. Only Stowe/Smuggs have anything close and even that really doesn't compare to the views in the Whites.

Killington is one of the first to open and last to close but Loon isn't too far behind. Cannon is the best in NH for challenge, I'd call it my home mountain. I always say that if Cannon got NoVT snow numbers, I'd never ski any where else. Rutland gets you fairly close to the MRV which offers Bush/MRG... far superior to Killington/Pico. About a tad over an hour north.

If your only consideration is skiing, I'd do VT. Been there, done that. Skiing isn't my only consideration.

But all that said, the skiing should be a distant second or seventh on your list of comparisons. Love the area you live, not just the skiing. If you love the skiing but not the area, you'll find it isn't worth the move. I'd suggest extended vacations in both areas to try them out a little bit and try to avoid the touristy stuff and try to get a feel for the area itself.

SF1966

Excellent information. Ski access is a small, however, important factor.

New Hampshire seems like a real option to consider. An important part of this move will be transitioning my freshman son who plays varsity baseball and football. Sports are important to him and big deal down here...

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
not from experience (I live in MA) but i would think in NH you are more "in the middle of it all" - quicker to get to VT, ME, the beaches along the coast, Boston, and so forth. Plus you have all the stuff to do in and around the white mountain national forest in Plymouth.

bobbutts

I think a big difference is I-93 being right there in Plymouth vs. Rutland being about as far as you can get from an interstate in NE. Also Okemo is a very short drive from Rutland, don't think anyone mentioned that yet.

Based on Rutland being kind of sprawly and trashy especially for Vermont, IMO, I'd go with cute college town Plymouth.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I think a big difference is I-93 being right there in Plymouth vs. Rutland being about as far as you can get from an interstate in NE.
You think one hour is the furthest drive from an interstate in New England? There are much further places from the interstate in northern NH and much of Maine. Being right on an interstate is definitely important for me.

bobbutts

You think one hour is the furthest drive from an interstate in New England? There are much further places from the interstate in northern NH and much of Maine. Being right on an interstate is definitely important for me.

^populated areas of^

ScottySkis

NH. has some mountains that reminds me of the west and lots of liberal up their which I love, but north Vermont gets that sweet lake effect snow, both have a lot to offer.

Cannonball

Great advice from Riverc0il as usual. Except I don't fully agree with this part....

New Hampshire has no sales tax and no income tax. Property tax is a high percentage but land isn't too bad, especially if you don't live in Plymouth proper. Plymouth High School is regional so you can get the good school without actually living in town. Vermont has sales tax and income tax. Minor consideration but there it is.

No state income tax in NH is a pretty huge consideration!! And not every town in NH has high property taxes. You could find yourself in town near Plymouth with reasonable property taxes and not pay state income tax. For example: We just (last week) bought a house in Lincoln, NH. My wife will become a NH resident. Her savings in state income tax alone will cover over 85% of our mortgage. That's not minor.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
No state income tax in NH is a pretty huge consideration!! And not every town in NH has high property taxes. You could find yourself in town near Plymouth with reasonable property taxes and not pay state income tax. For example: We just (last week) bought a house in Lincoln, NH. My wife will become a NH resident. Her savings in state income tax alone will cover over 85% of our mortgage. That's not minor.
I guess if you are making big bucks or coming from a state with a big income tax it is a big issue. My VT income taxes were significantly less than my property tax in NH. I rented in VT and bought in NH so it isn't apples to apples, so perhaps I don't see it as much of an issue.

I still don't think that alone should be a major factor. If someone was on the fence and equally split, it could be a the straw that tips the scales. Otherwise, its only money. Being happy with where you live is a far superior issue. But I would not have mentioned it if I didn't think it wasn't worth at least minimal consideration.

Vortex

Plymouth is a really nice area. I like the area more in the summer than the winter. Many nice places to eat. The Common man Chain locations. My Campton Taxes are very reasonable IMO.

Great hiking in the southern Whites, Great lakes, skiing is great. You can ski central and northerern nh, western Maine and the Northeast Kindom of VT in a managable time. No income tax and a nice highway system.

I grew up in Vermont and am very happy in NH. Wish I could move furthur north into the Whites.

I moved North To Maine to ski. Still have property here. This is an area
I am condidering having my retirement home

Last edited:

xwhaler

I'd also add that NH has a signicantly better job market. You sound like you have a job that is giving you the option to re locate which is great.
However, VT is pretty limited in my opinion for larger companies. Burlington is a decent sized city but there are not many big employers in VT.

NH has some large companies in Manchester, Seacoast NH, Nashua/Salem area.

We live in Epping which is centrally located enough to allow me to commute to Northern MA for work everyday and my wife goes to Manchester/Tilton for work.

You prob have a great job now but maybe a consideration should be future jobs or opportunities both for yourself and your kids once they get thru college.
I've heard lots of young ppl move out of VT due to the poor job market.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I worked for three years in Rutland. Sorry, but it's a hole. Vermont is much more expensive than NH and the salaries are lower.

UVSHTSTRM

Also if I were looking at Rutland, I would consider Lebanon, NH area instead. Job market is solid, plenty of high paying jobs (I don't know what you do), you have Dartmouth, DHMC, Hypertherm, Alice Peck Day, etc which give the Upper Valley (Lebanon, Claremont, Hanover, Lyme, WRJ, etc) a fairly stable economy, no income tax, affordable housing if you look for it, cultural events at the HOP, Leb Opera House, etc. Even though I lost my job at TomTom, I am one of the few in the area and would still highly recommend the area.

My two cents

Gnarcissaro

I went to school at PSU and have been living in the greater Plymouth area (Ashland, Campton, Thornton, Holderness) for the 6 years post-grad, currently in Campton. Plymouth is a vibrant small town with the college. The new "Flying Monkey" is open and attracts some good musical acts. If you live in a town like Thornton the property taxes are a little lower than Holderness or Plymouth.

I really enjoy the outdoor lifestyle year round. Many good shred choices nearby and not a bad drive to VT or Maine resorts (2 - 4hrs depending.) Backcountry options available closeby when the snow is good and in the spring.

When not in ski season I go right to hiking, biking, and kayaking the many great lakes, ponds and rivers. Again, the drive to VT and ME isn't bad to do these same activities.

It's been said the drive to Boston isn't bad and Concord/Manchester are easy.

My only experience with RUTLAND is it being my least favorite town stop on my Long Trail thru-hike.

xwhaler

Also if I were looking at Rutland, I would consider Lebanon, NH area instead. Job market is solid, plenty of high paying jobs (I don't know what you do), you have Dartmouth, DHMC, Hypertherm, Alice Peck Day, etc which give the Upper Valley (Lebanon, Claremont, Hanover, Lyme, WRJ, etc) a fairly stable economy, no income tax, affordable housing if you look for it, cultural events at the HOP, Leb Opera House, etc. Even though I lost my job at TomTom, I am one of the few in the area and would still highly recommend the area.

My two cents

+1 I don't know much abt the UV but I've told me wife that if I re locate anywhere in NH it would be to the Lebanon area. Seems the best job market north of Manchester in the state.

UVSHTSTRM

+1 I don't know much abt the UV but I've told me wife that if I re locate anywhere in NH it would be to the Lebanon area. Seems the best job market north of Manchester in the state.

If I recall, Lebanon/Hanover/Hartford population grows from it's normal 25,000+/- during non buisness hours to something around 50,000+ during work hours. Pretty good indication of a solid jobs market.