• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Hampshire v Vermont

Edd

Wow. That is the most inane thing I have read in a long time. Makes Fox News look like professional journalism.

There is no greater insult.

Barnicle ultimately failed misserably when he got canned from The Boston Globe for lying and plagiarizing

I had no idea about this. He always seemed ok on Morning Joe. Just did some brief searching and what I found is not good. I hate being disillusioned. And that NH vs. VT piece sucked too.

UVSHTSTRM

Barnicle is a complete dope always has been. One thing is clear he has really never been to either state....or he at the very least got as far has the Hampton tolls and never really ventured into New Hampshire nor did he venture into Brattleboro, Rutland, WRJ to see that there is in fact a seedy side to Vermont. I would love to see if there were any type of op ed or negative feedback to this column. One more thing, he has never met a true old time Vermonter, they like many in NH and ME have wicked New England accents/speach.

SF1966

Barnicle is a complete dope always has been. One thing is clear he has really never been to either state....or he at the very least got as far has the Hampton tolls and never really ventured into New Hampshire nor did he venture into Brattleboro, Rutland, WRJ to see that there is in fact a seedy side to Vermont. I would love to see if there were any type of op ed or negative feedback to this column. One more thing, he has never met a true old time Vermonter, they like many in NH and ME have wicked New England accents/speach.

nm

Last edited:

abc

But who is going to but a 100k home when then are making 150k a year? That is unrealistic.
Depends on what kind of house that 100k buys!

What kind of thinking is that to think one has to buy a house 3 times the annual income, regardless of the size of family and the house?

I didn't grow up American so I don't automatically prescribe to this "buy the biggest house you can afford" concept. There's a lot of other use for the money. Season pass, for example. Or maybe a trip out west or to Europe for the family every other year? Or summer down to South America. Or maybe save up the money to retire early!

Last edited:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Depends on what kind of house that 100k buys!

What kind of thinking is that to think one has to buy a house 3 times the annual income, regardless of the size of family and the house?

I didn't grow up American so I don't automatically prescribe to this "buy the biggest house you can afford" concept. There's a lot of other use for the money. Season pass, for example. Or maybe a trip out west or to Europe for the family every other year? Or summer down to South America. Or maybe save up the money to retire early!
First of all, it was a generalization. Second, I think you'll find it to be mostly true that people that make a lot of money like to spend it. I'm not judging. I don't know any one pulling in three figures living in a $100k house. I'm not saying there aren't a few people out there pulling in three figures, driving a rust bucket, socking everything into retirement, and living in a trailer park. But it is pretty unusual. I'm all for saving for retirement and I have what I consider a good strategy. But carpe diem! You can't take it with you. And all that jazz.

SkiFanE

There is no greater insult.

I had no idea about this. He always seemed ok on Morning Joe. Just did some brief searching and what I found is not good. I hate being disillusioned. And that NH vs. VT piece sucked too.

His kid was a close friend of mine in HS and college. He's an awesome writer, and really liked the guy, great dad.. I can say his writing did not always project his personality/ beliefs. Didn't read this article yet, but you gotta take his stuff tongue in cheek from a Bostonian perspective.

abc

Second, I think you'll find it to be mostly true that people that make a lot of money like to spend it. .
Spend it, yes. Spend all of it in a too large house, not neccessarily!

I'm not talking about trailer park living though. I worked in the aeronautic industry briefly. Quite a number of guys who spend their money on planes! Aeronautic engineers pull in pretty nice pay check. But not enough to have BOTH a big house and a different plane every few years! ;) Many settle for more moderately priced house. A lot of those aeronautic engineers are not born and breed American. That might be the source of different mindset.

I got rides on private planes to skiing twice, kind of nice I have to say. Beats a big house and 2.3 kids.

BLESS

clearly you dont have kids, if you think a private plane ride beats them. The hardest yet best thing Ive ever done in my life is raising my kids...... Anyway, I vote NH.

abc

clearly you dont have kids, if you think a private plane ride beats them. The hardest yet best thing Ive ever done in my life is raising my kids...... Anyway, I vote NH.
Riding in a private plane isn't hard at all, just nice. ;)

bigbog

Think riv has talked a little about the kind of people I just love distancing myself from...in my leisure time:-D ...but NH's setting is pretty unique...

Last edited:

stomachdoc

We own property in Waterville Valley, and spend quite a bit of time in Plymouth. Really nice town, great to have a University so close; the Silver Center has quite a bit of cultural stuff going on. Plymouth's location makes it easy to access the nearby lakes (Newfound is a JEWEL). Next time you are in Plymouth, have dinner at Six Burner Bistro......

Geoff

I guess if you are making big bucks or coming from a state with a big income tax it is a big issue. My VT income taxes were significantly less than my property tax in NH. I rented in VT and bought in NH so it isn't apples to apples, so perhaps I don't see it as much of an issue.

I still don't think that alone should be a major factor. If someone was on the fence and equally split, it could be a the straw that tips the scales. Otherwise, its only money. Being happy with where you live is a far superior issue. But I would not have mentioned it if I didn't think it wasn't worth at least minimal consideration.

Vermont has a fairly stiff graduated income tax. Your income above $34.5K is taxed at 6.8% or 7.8%. With Act 68 state school tax and their strange & wonderful formula that penalizes towns that tuition-out most of their students, Vermont property tax can be higher than most places in New Hampshire. If you make no money and rent, Vermont is great.

As was pointed out earlier in the thread, property tax rates in NH vary wildly from town to town. In towns with a lot of very expensive homes, vacation homes and/or commercial property, the tax rates are extremely low. A number of towns near ski resorts and on lakes fall into that category.

For example, Plymouth is $18.74, Holderness is $12.96, Lincoln is $9.11, and Moultonborough is $7.7 per thousand valuation. Those towns are only a few miles apart.

To give you some idea of how much it varies, New Castle has a $4.70 per thousand valuation property tax rate. Claremont is $30.45 per thousand valuation.

Geoff

Truth. NH has a huge amount of cross contamination of accents from MA. Many rural Vermonters have amongst the thickest accents in all of New England.

Yeah. Senator Bernie Sanders has the thickest Northeast Kingdom accent ever. :)

Southern New Hampshire is a metro-Boston suburb. A very large slice of the population south of Concord was either born in Massholia or has parents/grandparents from there. The lakes and ski towns have always been mostly the haven of metro-Bostonians.