• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any golfers in da house ?

drjeff

Wow that sounds great Doc .Im always amazed at just hoe smoooooth the pros swing and with apparent ease yet the distance is phenomenal . I hit it ok for a 69 yr old - its straight and about 220 to 240 but me be I need one of those R 11's @ 46 inches with a 12 degree loft and sr shaft to begin to approach 250 plus again ????? Not sure but I' m sure lusting after more distance off the tee . guess I got to get to a good club fitter with a practice range. Like the one near Albany just off the Northway .

have fun Doc. And BTW how's your game this season ? You always inspire me with the high quality of your game !!!

Keep it on the short grass

W

Warp, I LOVE my R11! I've been swinging it for about a year now. I played around with all the loft/lie/face settings the 1st day on the range with it, and then just set everything up in the maxiumum draw settings to help combat my natural fade that my swing has and haven't thought about it since! A serious sweet spot on that club face that just launches the ball! I've got the 9* model that with how I have it set up plays more like 8*. I was so impressed by that club that I picked up an R11 3wood/metal (whatever you want to call them these days :lol: ), just set it for maximum draw and walked right onto the course with it and have been equally as impressed with Taylor Made's product!

Been hitting the ball pretty well so far this year. My last 4 rounds have all been charity scrambles so I haven't posted an actual 18 hole score in almost a month, but overall I've been getting off the tee very well, hitting some solid iron shots (to the extent that i've won 2 closest to the pin prizes in those 4 scrambles, and that didn't even include the 195 yard par 3 I played last Friday in a scarmble where I hit the flagstick with my tee ball, of course it then bounced about 35 feet away from the stick onto the fringe :rolleyes: but the "clank" off the flagstick sounded mighty good!), and chipping and putting what i would call above average for me as of late. So I can't complain. I'm going to be curious to see how I hit the ball later next week when my wife and I head down to Cancun for 5 days to celebrate our 15th anniversary. Where we're staying has 27 holes designed by Jack Nicklaus on site, and from when I played there 5 years ago, he totally designed it not as a tour level, tournament caliber course, but as a user friendly (read as pretty wide fairways and flattish greens) resort course which if my swing is as solid in Mexico as it has been in CT as of late could result in some really good scores!

Hit 'em well out there Warp! I just hope that when i'm 69 yrs old that I'll be tearing up the links to the quality that you are!

Warp Daddy

Lmao !! that is the damn juxtaposition of the game my man :lol: ONE ROUND ur on top of the world, then when you least expect it a double bogey or god forbid a snowman appears from nowhere to whack u upside the head ,but u hit enough good shots to keep us coming back for more . We are all masochists and love the suffering :smash::lol::blink:

hey 75 is killer !'!!!'!! Keep swinging and don't let the game get to you

enjoy

jrmagic

Lmao !! that is the damn juxtaposition of the game my man :lol: ONE ROUND ur on top of the world, then when you least expect it a double bogey or god forbid a snowman appears from nowhere to whack u upside the head ,but u hit enough good shots to keep us coming back for more . We are all masochists and love the suffering :smash::lol::blink:

hey 75 is killer !'!!!'!! Keep swinging and don't let the game get to you

enjoy

Looks like everyone's game is rounding into shape nicely. My last couple of rounds were an 82 and an 85 and I had 2 triples in that 85 round so I'm very happy given where I was a month ago when I couldn't break 90:-o Warp the new generation of drivers are nothing short of awesome. Definiteyl go to a good fitter and try everything you can. I thing with the proper head and shaft you should definitely be able to gain some distance. I got fitted for the callaway Razr fit 9.5* with a project X shaft and am loving the trajectory distance and forgiveness over my old driver.

jaywbigred

Looks like everyone's game is rounding into shape nicely. My last couple of rounds were an 82 and an 85 and I had 2 triples in that 85 round so I'm very happy given where I was a month ago when I couldn't break 90:-o Warp the new generation of drivers are nothing short of awesome. Definiteyl go to a good fitter and try everything you can. I thing with the proper head and shaft you should definitely be able to gain some distance. I got fitted for the callaway Razr fit 9.5* with a project X shaft and am loving the trajectory distance and forgiveness over my old driver.

I agree with this and should have added to my post that I bought an R11s about 2 months ago. I bought it with the intention of returning it within the 30 days allowed under a special manufacturer's guarantee, whether I liked it or not. I liked it, but was going to return it, go back to my old driver for a few months, then re-buy it in the winter on sale and save a few hundred bucks. I even called Taylor Made and got the tube to send it back in. But then I shot that 75, a slew of other good scores (including shooting two 80s from the big boy (though not the tips) tees at the Cornell Univ. Robert Trent Jones course where I have previously broken 90 1 time (an 89)), and I said "screw it", because I was hitting it too good and didn't want unlearn it, relearn my old driver, then unlearn that and relearn the R11s again when I repurchased.

I got no extra distance from the club, I have always been a very long hitter, but I got a LOT more accurate with the new club.

Also, when I purchased it at Dick's, their launch monitor was broken so I didn't get to use. Recently I went back to get some clubs regripped and it was working again, so I got to use the launch monitor with the R11s, and got to do so now that I am accustomed to it. It was very intriguing and gratifying to see the numbers that came out of it. I recommend anyone try this to get some feedback on their swing. I bet most Dick's/Golf Galaxy's/Golfsmith's would let you do that while you wait e.g. for other clubs to be regripped.

I need to look for a 3 wood. I currently carry two Callaway Hybrids (2h 17 degree and 3h 20 degree). I like them but am not confident with them, which I think is actually a result of their versatility, bc I don't make up my mind on how I want to hit them, I am indecisive. You can hit down on the ball like with an iron, you can sweep them pretty well like a fairway metal, and you can hit them like a driver off the tee in picking the ball clean. Fouls me up sometimes.

You guys have any recommendations for something you hit consistently from both the mat and the tee?

I am also having a lot of trouble with my 54 degree wedge. I investigated and I think it may be the 10 degrees of bounce. I tend to chunk it, esp. from the fairway, and with a weak fade, which is not my normal ball flight with wedges. I think my heel and leading edge are getting buried early at the contact point as part of the chunkiness and so I'm hitting it with an open face and getting the little fade. I think this is because of the bounce. I have a 58 degree which is probably the club I use the most after my putter that has 11 degrees of bounce and I hit it pretty good from the fairway, no real chunk bias. Anyone think that one degree of bounce could make a difference like that?

jrmagic

I agree with this and should have added to my post that I bought an R11s about 2 months ago. I bought it with the intention of returning it within the 30 days allowed under a special manufacturer's guarantee, whether I liked it or not. I liked it, but was going to return it, go back to my old driver for a few months, then re-buy it in the winter on sale and save a few hundred bucks. I even called Taylor Made and got the tube to send it back in. But then I shot that 75, a slew of other good scores (including shooting two 80s from the big boy (though not the tips) tees at the Cornell Univ. Robert Trent Jones course where I have previously broken 90 1 time (an 89)), and I said "screw it", because I was hitting it too good and didn't want unlearn it, relearn my old driver, then unlearn that and relearn the R11s again when I repurchased.

I got no extra distance from the club, I have always been a very long hitter, but I got a LOT more accurate with the new club.

Also, when I purchased it at Dick's, their launch monitor was broken so I didn't get to use. Recently I went back to get some clubs regripped and it was working again, so I got to use the launch monitor with the R11s, and got to do so now that I am accustomed to it. It was very intriguing and gratifying to see the numbers that came out of it. I recommend anyone try this to get some feedback on their swing. I bet most Dick's/Golf Galaxy's/Golfsmith's would let you do that while you wait e.g. for other clubs to be regripped.

I need to look for a 3 wood. I currently carry two Callaway Hybrids (2h 17 degree and 3h 20 degree). I like them but am not confident with them, which I think is actually a result of their versatility, bc I don't make up my mind on how I want to hit them, I am indecisive. You can hit down on the ball like with an iron, you can sweep them pretty well like a fairway metal, and you can hit them like a driver off the tee in picking the ball clean. Fouls me up sometimes.

You guys have any recommendations for something you hit consistently from both the mat and the tee?

I am also having a lot of trouble with my 54 degree wedge. I investigated and I think it may be the 10 degrees of bounce. I tend to chunk it, esp. from the fairway, and with a weak fade, which is not my normal ball flight with wedges. I think my heel and leading edge are getting buried early at the contact point as part of the chunkiness and so I'm hitting it with an open face and getting the little fade. I think this is because of the bounce. I have a 58 degree which is probably the club I use the most after my putter that has 11 degrees of bounce and I hit it pretty good from the fairway, no real chunk bias. Anyone think that one degree of bounce could make a difference like that?

I can't help you much with the woods/hybrids. I'm still playing my titleist 975F 3 wood and A Callaway Big bertha 5 wood lol. As for your wedge, 1 degree difference in bounce is nothing. I'm thinking that maybe it got bent a bit. take it to Dicks or another shop and have the lie and loft checked.

xwhaler

I'm pretty excited about this upcoming wknd. Visiting some freinds who have a lake house about an hour SE of Sugarloaf. My buddy and I are getting up early Sat AM and playing 18 at the Loaf.
I've been golfing for the past 15 yrs and have been skiing at the Loaf for the past 20 and have never played the course.
I'm quite familair with the accolades and press the track gets so I can;t wait to experience it myself.

Anyone on here played it before. I'm about a 20 handicap on normal courses if I putt well. Not expecting a great score by any means given how tough I've heard it plays but the scenery and just being up there the 1st day of Sept should be great.

$59 with cart is also pretty nice!

drjeff

I'm pretty excited about this upcoming wknd. Visiting some freinds who have a lake house about an hour SE of Sugarloaf. My buddy and I are getting up early Sat AM and playing 18 at the Loaf.
I've been golfing for the past 15 yrs and have been skiing at the Loaf for the past 20 and have never played the course.
I'm quite familair with the accolades and press the track gets so I can;t wait to experience it myself.

Anyone on here played it before. I'm about a 20 handicap on normal courses if I putt well. Not expecting a great score by any means given how tough I've heard it plays but the scenery and just being up there the 1st day of Sept should be great.

$59 with cart is also pretty nice!

I've played the Loaf once. Beautiful course, no doubt about it. Had me wishing for many reasons that I went right back out and played it again!

A few quick tips:

1) Play it purely as a target golf style course - aim for the middle of the fairways as with all the tee to fairway and then fairway to green elevation changes, I personally can attest that what looks like something from an elevated tee or elevated fairway that you should be able to fly without problems often is further away that Robert Trent Jones made it appear as he designed the course!

2) Play more break in the greens than they look. Coming from a course that has greens that break more than one would expect, it took me 5 or 6 holes to realize that I had to generally play even more break than I thought

3) Bring a bunch of balls - you'll more than likely loose a few more than during a typical round (see my elevation changes comment in tip 1! )

4) Bring a camera!!! The views are spectactular

5) Just have a good time and forget about the scorecard. More than likely when your in the "19th hole" reliving your round you'll have more than a few thoughts like "if only I had just aimed a bit further left on that hole" or "I really should of laid up off the tee on that hole" It's totally the type of course where a bit of experience could easily cut off a bunch of strokes in future rounds, but the 1st time you just don't really grasp some of where you can and can't hit it, even if it looks like apparent from the tee/fairway

kickstand

Everything drjeff said about Sugarloaf applies to Sunday River Golf Course. The 9th green at SRGC is the craziest thing I've ever seen on a golf course. A 2-putt is solid, 3-putt not uncommon.

xwhaler

I've played the Loaf once. Beautiful course, no doubt about it. Had me wishing for many reasons that I went right back out and played it again!

A few quick tips:

1) Play it purely as a target golf style course - aim for the middle of the fairways as with all the tee to fairway and then fairway to green elevation changes, I personally can attest that what looks like something from an elevated tee or elevated fairway that you should be able to fly without problems often is further away that Robert Trent Jones made it appear as he designed the course!

2) Play more break in the greens than they look. Coming from a course that has greens that break more than one would expect, it took me 5 or 6 holes to realize that I had to generally play even more break than I thought

3) Bring a bunch of balls - you'll more than likely loose a few more than during a typical round (see my elevation changes comment in tip 1! )

4) Bring a camera!!! The views are spectactular

5) Just have a good time and forget about the scorecard. More than likely when your in the "19th hole" reliving your round you'll have more than a few thoughts like "if only I had just aimed a bit further left on that hole" or "I really should of laid up off the tee on that hole" It's totally the type of course where a bit of experience could easily cut off a bunch of strokes in future rounds, but the 1st time you just don't really grasp some of where you can and can't hit it, even if it looks like apparent from the tee/fairway

So I played the Loaf last Saturday. Really cool golfing experience. The place certainly earns all the accolades it gets as the layout is really unique. They have a big drainage/irrigation project ongoing right now so there was some pipe laying across the course on some holes. Once work is complete though which should be in the next couple weeks it should be really awesome.
I played pretty well---very well by my standards actually. Only used driver on 1 hole and was comfortable hitting my 5 wood and 4 hybrid on most tees. I only lost a few balls all day and played in control trying to just execute my swing.
We played frmo the whites as there was no reason to make it any tougher than it already was. The course demands a premium on accuracy off the tee. Greens were very fast and had lots of break to them as mentioned.
Some had just been aerated so that made it tricky. The views from some of the holes were truly amazing. We hit from the tips on #10 and 11 for the downhill shots. Really cool experince taking a 6 iron on #11 (216 yards with 120 yards of elevation change tee to green) and launching a high fade giving myself a 15' birdie putt.

Leaves are starting to change a bit up there which is great. Pace of play was nice as well----we were expecting to get paired up for a 4 some and have a 5+ hour round but they let 2 somes out all the time up there even weekend mornings. We finished up in 4 hrs even. Having a cart helps...walking that course would be tough.

Definately something I will never forget...would love to get up there again...a foliage round in late Sept/early October I think would be the best time to play up there.

Too bad golfing is over for now. back in the day I was on the high school golf team. Great time to mess around with a few buddies

Warp Daddy

Ok so i.m still skiing ,BUT i got the clubs out and started swinging the silly stick and messin around with the little stick in anticipation of season opening . With 3 ft of snow still in our yard it will be awhile yet , but looking forward to getting back out there .

Anybody else jonesing ?

drjeff

Ok so i.m still skiing ,BUT i got the clubs out and started swinging the silly stick and messin around with the little stick in anticipation of season opening . With 3 ft of snow still in our yard it will be awhile yet , but looking forward to getting back out there .

Anybody else jonesing ?

No real jonesing yet - although I did pick up a new big stick a few weeks ago (Taylor's SLDR) that did get the golf juices flowing a bit! My course here in CT *should* open up by this coming weekend. I will admit though that I really don't start thinking golf too much until Master's weekend when there's no way that any golfer can't get the urge to swing the club after seeing the grandeur of Augusta National on TV! :)

Since I just was asked to play in 2 3 day member guests on successive weekends in early June, I better start swinging the club a bit soon, or else I'll loose my invite to these 3 day'ers, and from past experiences in them, I want to keep being asked back!!

Savemeasammy

I only play once or twice a year when we visit my family in Myrtle Beach during the summer. At that rate, it's no wonder that I suck! ;). I usually have a handful of good shots each round, so that keeps me coming back.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

jaywbigred

No, I hate golf. I play to a 7-9 index but it is such a frustrating sport. The line I often use is "Golf is just something frustrating I do between ski seasons."

dlague

I play, but I am a hack! I go for fun and it is basically a reason to hit the clubhouse for drinks afterwards! We are planning on going to a driving range this Sunday. Son has Lacrosse so since I cannot ski hitting a few balls works! I generally golf like 6-7 times each summer but this year we hope to get out more. However, once it warms up I would rather continue to work on surfing!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I've recently felt an itch to swing a club again. I"m horrible, but it's enjoyable. I just need a day of something slower paced. life with 2 kids under 2 has been ... insane, to say the least :)

dlague

My wife and I just picked up new clubs - nothing spectacular just an upgrade from where I was at before. Technically a hack golfer but it is still fun to get out. This summer my wife and I plan on improving our game - so we shall see. We also picked up 11 2 fers for some of our local courses. Trying to attempt the same deal approach to golf as I do towards skiing!

Our wetsuits, surf boards and half boards are ready to go too! Now looking into kayaks! The problem with summer - it seems short and I have activity ADHD! At least winter has a single focus!

Golf will be at the top of our list!

xwhaler

So I played the Loaf last Saturday. Really cool golfing experience. The place certainly earns all the accolades it gets as the layout is really unique. They have a big drainage/irrigation project ongoing right now so there was some pipe laying across the course on some holes. Once work is complete though which should be in the next couple weeks it should be really awesome.
I played pretty well---very well by my standards actually. Only used driver on 1 hole and was comfortable hitting my 5 wood and 4 hybrid on most tees. I only lost a few balls all day and played in control trying to just execute my swing.
We played frmo the whites as there was no reason to make it any tougher than it already was. The course demands a premium on accuracy off the tee. Greens were very fast and had lots of break to them as mentioned.
Some had just been aerated so that made it tricky. The views from some of the holes were truly amazing. We hit from the tips on #10 and 11 for the downhill shots. Really cool experince taking a 6 iron on #11 (216 yards with 120 yards of elevation change tee to green) and launching a high fade giving myself a 15' birdie putt.

Leaves are starting to change a bit up there which is great. Pace of play was nice as well----we were expecting to get paired up for a 4 some and have a 5+ hour round but they let 2 somes out all the time up there even weekend mornings. We finished up in 4 hrs even. Having a cart helps...walking that course would be tough.

Definately something I will never forget...would love to get up there again...a foliage round in late Sept/early October I think would be the best time to play up there.
Bump----so I'm heading back up to our friends lake house in ME over Memorial Day wknd. Sugarloaf opens course that Friday and we'll play 18 on Sunday. Bought the Fore Pack which is 4 rounds (fully transferable to use yourself or among friends) for $50 each round includes cart.
I've played the course 3 times now (2 18's and 1 9) and its an incredible experience every time. Last yr over Memorial Day wknd we played a very wet 9 on their opening wknd in heavy rain while it was snowing from Superquad on up. Cool contrast to see white at above you while you are golfing in the rain down below.

I highly recommend it for anyone that finds themselves up in that area and enjoys golf----not even about the score when you are there just the sheer beauty and quality of course/layout is awesome.

Warp Daddy

With the late start to the season Been struggling so far this season had an 84 and 3 successive 88's . But today cranked out a 78 with 12 pars and only 31 putts so felt like the groove is coming back ;)