• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Flags on the 48 2012

SilentCal

Flags on the 48 2012 will be held on Saturday, September 8th 2012. On the closest Saturday to September 11th, hundreds of hikers converge on New Hampshire's 4000 foot peaks and raise flags as part of a memorial to those lost on that fateful day. Flags should be at the peaks and flying by noon-time until at least 2:00 pm. This is a LEAVE NO TRACE event. This is our 11th year and we do have a streak of covering all 48 peaks going back to 2004. Let's keep it going.

********IMPORTANT NEWS********
Signups for the event will be on Monday, AUGUST 6th at 6:00pm this year. Peaks go very very quickly so please have a second peak in mind and or be willing to share some of the more popular peaks. We are requesting this year one of two things. We would prefer a picture of the hiking party and the flag at your peak to be posted to the website promptly after the event. If not that, then we would appreciate an e-mail of confirmation that the flag did indeed make it.

There is alternate access for non-hikers of the event on Cannon, Washington and Wildcat D. Please send me an e-mail or private message should you like one of these particular peaks.

The event's homepage is located here:
www.Flagsonthe48.org

Any personal questions can be sent as a private message to me or as an e-mail to the website here:
Contact@flagsonthe48.org

Thanks!

SilentCal

[h=6]
[/h][h=6]Signups are a week away. Remember Monday August 6th at 6:00 pm.

A couple things to rememember.

1. The toughest problem that we deal with with signups is persons signing up for multiple peaks. This occurs usually when someone does not get the peak they want and they "jump" to another peak. What this does on the signups end is that it creates a domino effect of jumping and it takes several days to figure out who is going where. The event has been so successful in recent years that several peaks now have multiple flags. This is 100% okay and we encourage groups to work together to help each other out.

THEREFORE: PLEASE ONLY SIGN UP ONCE FOR ANY PEAK.

2. No one has put in a claim for Cannon, Washington or Wildcat D so those peaks will be ready to go on signup day.

3. PICTURES. One goal that has not been met is that the event has never recieved pictures from all 48 peaks in one event year. So, lets try to fix that this year.[/h]

wtcobb

Looking forward to joining this year! Any tips on flag pole bases to make it stand, or do you just hold it?

SilentCal

I would reccomend looking around some of the past photos of certain peaks. The gallery is here:

http://forums.flagsonthe48.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index

Everyone does it there own way but PVC is very popular choice for the flagpoles. Having it properly tied down is essential as high winds can and have knocked some displays over. Flag size and weight also are things that you need to consider.

wtcobb

Ah I see. The PVC pole was my plan from other reading, but the guy lines are a good solution to make it stand. I was trying to imagine constructing a lightweight (possibly rectangular from PVC corner fittings) base that could have rocks placed on top to steady it, but the wind would probably topple that in a matter of minutes.

SilentCal

My design was pretty much done by trial and error. I used a ten foot piece of electrical conduit the first two years. But I had Cannon and Carrigain and I merely c-clamped it to the railing. Worked great. Then on Monroe, I got a sling that flagbearers use in parades and that is pictured in my avatar. I did that for a couple years until on Jefferson, High winds forced us to guy it down and it was bent at two different angles. I am a sucker for tradition so I hammered and bent it straight and now I have a telescopic sheath of PVC that it can slide in and out of and I can change the hieght depending on the winds. Lightweight enough for me and my group.

wtcobb

Appreciate the advice! I checked out the galleries and stopped off at the hardware store this weekend to scope out some supplies. I have a couple of ideas in mind so I plan on attempting a few builds (and packs) to see which is easiest to carry and assemble. Really looking forward to being a part of this.

SilentCal

Signups are open:
Orphaned Peaks include:
Adams
Cannon
Carter Dome
South Hancock
Owl's Head
Passaconaway
Middle Tripyramid
North Tripyramid
Washington
Waumbek
Whiteface
Wildcat D

SilentCal

I waited to see what was left behind, I signed up to be PC on Owl's Head! I will get the flag over the tree tops this time around!

My email-s must have crossed. John, we swapped e-mail before but Owl's Head PC has cancelled and you are indeed the PC for the peak. Running around more like chicken with it's head cut off this year. Sorry for any mixup.

Now we need good karma on the weather front!

SilentCal

Nice setup. I have something similar. You should clear the trees, no problem. Bring bungee cords just in case. I once lashed the assembly to the summit trees to keep it steady.

SilentCal

Almost hike day. Points to remember.

1. Flags can be any size, nation, state or what not.
2. Please try to take a photo of your flag and the crew. Post to the Flags site afterwards.
3. Please confirm after your hike whether or not the flag made it to the summit. There will be a thread for that.
4. Have some fun and make some new friends.
5. Keep your eyes on the weather. First sign of Thunderstorms, leave the summits.
6. We go rain or shine. There is no rain date. If you feel that it is unsafe to hike, then DO NOT HIKE. Everyone's safety is much more important.

I'd like to thank Frodo, Chris, Michael, Jay and Brian for kicking me in the butt and getting me back to doing this. Some times, I'd like to pull my hair out with all the behind the scenes stuff but it's worth it.

We've come a long way in 11 years. It's all done by volunteers and that's what makes it special.

Be safe everyone!

Puck it

From the Cannon Website

7976178443_0385658b14_b.jpg