• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing on the Cheap - 2012-13 Edition

BenedictGomez

The website doesn't have the restrictions on it do I have to get the hand out at the participating gas stations?

Exactly.

As Billski said, most do use "adult" wording, but there are quite a few where it's "equal or lesser value".

I've still got probably another hour or so of work on my map, but this year is MUCH better than years past in terms of strategically locating gas stations so that the maximum number of people can take advantage to/from ski country. I cant stress enough how dramatically improved coverage is this year from that perspective.

Many folks from CT and MA will be able to take more advantage now, but regardless of where you live, they've placed many more participating gas stations right by mountains or along routes TO certain mountains, which should greatly improve utilization opportunity. Great news for all!

k123

Does anyone know if the 2 fer 1's are only good on adult tickets or could you also get 2fer1 for kids/teens?

Here you go, a little hard to read but you can at least see if it says adult or not. Gore is Thursdays only, and a bunch of them are only midweek or Sunday thru Friday:
Coupons.jpg Coupons2.jpg Coupons3.jpg

BenedictGomez

Gore is Thursdays only, and a bunch of them are only midweek or Sunday thru Friday:

Well, I guess that's a bit better than Tuesday only, lulz I really think they're missing the marketing boat. This can only serve to increase skier visits to their mountain, including additional fully-paids. The fact they're about the only one doing this, is telling. Frankly, it would be no skin off any mountain's back to at least do Monday through Thursday on this promotion. Just makes Gore look like tightwads, lol

BenedictGomez

2012-13 Ski Ride Free Map

This is one of the best lift ticket money savers, but a drawback of the skiridefree.com program is it's difficult to efficiently locate participating gas stations while you're out traveling through ski country.

As I did last year, I created this map to help people earn free skiing, so please feel free to share the below link with other Skiers + Riders. This map will work with the GPS on your smartphone. I have included the: station brand (i.e. Mobil, Citgo, etc.), Address, and telephone number of each location.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...&ll=42.391009,-73.00415&spn=6.83904,16.907959

There are, as of now, 66 gas stations participating in the program this year, and more will be added in the next few weeks. I will update the map accordingly as they are added. THINK SNOW!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Very cool BG. Nice job. You should put a paypal option on your map. In fact, we all should charge a lurker fee!

This is one of the best lift ticket money savers, but a drawback of the skiridefree.com program is it's difficult to efficiently locate participating gas stations while you're out traveling through ski country.

As I did last year, I created this map to help people earn free skiing, so please feel free to share the below link with other Skiers + Riders. This map will work with the GPS on your smartphone. I have included the: station brand (i.e. Mobil, Citgo, etc.), Address, and telephone number of each location.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...&ll=42.391009,-73.00415&spn=6.83904,16.907959

There are, as of now, 66 gas stations participating in the program this year, and more will be added in the next few weeks. I will update the map accordingly as they are added. THINK SNOW!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Way too many repeats and re-posts on here lately
Let's agree to disagree on this one. I'd rather have extra posts than miss something. At 17 pages, with the season just at a start, it's bound to be a big list. Besides, the east coast weather skcus an there isn't much else to do other than the honey-do list. :)

Skier4life

I'd rather have extra posts than miss something. :)

I agree, don't want to miss something trawling through 30 something pages of great deals!!

In that vein...I hope this has not been posted yet:
https://www.catskillswintersampler.com/

Not really much of a saving as it turns out to be about $50 a ticket [as has been mentioned here before lots of BOGO's or 2fers trump this], however, it could be useful to someone somewhere down the line.

Skier4life

Again you have outdone yourself...Well done mate and thanks!!!

BenedictGomez

Very cool BG. Nice job. You should put a paypal option on your map. In fact, we all should charge a lurker fee!

Like maybe a "contributions link" a la wikipedia, lol. Seriously though, I was pretty surprised how many viewers my 2011-12 map had so I figured I'd do it again.

Again you have outdone yourself...Well done mate and thanks!!!

Thanks, get those free lift tickets!

I agree, don't want to miss something trawling through 30 something pages of great deals.

I agree as well, with one caveat. Sometimes there are "value negative" posts in here that are unhelpful. What I mean by that is there might be a post on page 4 for a way to save $20 on lift tickets at XYZ mountain, but then on page 11 someone posts a deal for a way to save $10 off lift tickets at XYZ mountain. Dunno that anything can be done about that, just something I've noticed the last few years.

Smellytele

Let's agree to disagree on this one. I'd rather have extra posts than miss something. At 17 pages, with the season just at a start, it's bound to be a big list. Besides, the east coast weather skcus an there isn't much else to do other than the honey-do list. :)

I am just saying it makes even more pages to rifle through so instead of 10 pages it is 15 or what ever. It is kind of like multiple threads on the same subject that some have issues with.

Skier4life

What I mean by that is there might be a post on page 4 for a way to save $20 on lift tickets at XYZ mountain, but then on page 11 someone posts a deal for a way to save $10 off lift tickets at XYZ mountain.

One way this may be helpful is if the post on page 4 happened to be one of those ADADs [a deal a day - of the Groupon nature]. So if someone doesn't check this thread twice a day [an abomination in itself] they are liable to miss the ADAD and may have to resort to only getting the $10 saving on page 11. I have fallen prey to this a number of times, so I am ever grateful for those that post whatever they find!

With such an open topic [there are numerous perceptions as to what constitutes "Skiing on the cheap"] as Billski said it is bound to be a big list. Smellytele has a point but I think on the balance of all likelihood, it is appreciated more than it is not! :wink:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Greater Boston & Southern NH Entertainment Book 2013
The Skimos are raising funds for lodge items by selling the Greater Boston and Southern NH Entertainment Book. Two-for-one lift tickets, discounts on dining, movies, hotels, etc. 50% savings on almost everything! <http://www.entertainment.com> . Now being sold for $30 instead of $35 on their website. To order your book, contact me at acenski@earthlink.net or call (617) 680-8395 Thanks for your support in advance. Ace.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Sometimes there are "value negative" posts in here that are unhelpful. What I mean by that is there might be a post on page 4 for a way to save $20 on lift tickets at XYZ mountain, but then on page 11 someone posts a deal for a way to save $10 off lift tickets at XYZ mountain. Dunno that anything can be done about that, just something I've noticed the last few years.

This is very true. Anyone who takes what I report at face value is a fool! I don't say that in a mean way. Due diligence is always in order. Buyer beware. We've made it VERY EASY for you to find the deal, but there is no reason we should report the fine print.

I just lob 'em at you.

Now, if you want to send me a crisp new Jackson, I'd be happy to provide that info. :roll:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I am just saying it makes even more pages to rifle through so instead of 10 pages it is 15 or what ever. It is kind of like multiple threads on the same subject that some have issues with.
So make a note of something if it looks interesting so you don't have to rifle through and then just click on the "new post" icon so you only have to read new posts. People start posting deals in August, so I have the opposite issue: I ain't going back ten pages to find something I missed when I wasn't really thinking about deals.

jaytrem

Current Coke Rewards lift tickets...

Smuggs 825 points
Loon 988 (ouch)
Loon Learn to Ski/Ride 400
Titus 525
Sunday River 505 (SCORE)

If you consider a Sundau River ticket to be worth $50, that means a Coke cap is worth about 30 cents.

BenedictGomez

Current Coke Rewards lift tickets...

Smuggs 825 points
Loon 988 (ouch)
Loon Learn to Ski/Ride 400
Titus 525
Sunday River 505 (SCORE)

If you consider a Sundau River ticket to be worth $50, that means a Coke cap is worth about 30 cents.

Someone on this board mentioned this in one of the threads a ways back, and I remember thinking, HTH would anyone get 825 points before they expire. Wouldnt you realistically need to work at a bar or a restaurant? Do some people drink that much soda? I think I drink an unhealthy amount of soda as is (Pepsi products sadly) and I dont think I coudl hit 825 before expiration. :eek:

gmcunni

not to add to the non-value posts in this thread but i agree. too bad there isn't a feature in the forum software that allowed for us to organize the content better. the ski swap thread is a good example but it is manually done. people contribute content but tcharron edits the first doc to include the updated info. lots of work for tcharron (and it is appreciated) but easy for the rest of the community to drop in and see what's going on.

the way it is now with this thread is if i see an interesting deal i jump on it because i won't find it again later.

jaytrem

Someone on this board mentioned this in one of the threads a ways back, and I remember thinking, HTH would anyone get 825 points before they expire. Wouldnt you realistically need to work at a bar or a restaurant? Do some people drink that much soda? I think I drink an unhealthy amount of soda as is (Pepsi products sadly) and I dont think I coudl hit 825 before expiration. :eek:

The points don't expire as long as you have some type of activity. You're allowed 120 points a week not counting bonus points. If friends/family/co-workers know you collecting them there's probably a good chance you'll hit 120 a week quite often. If it was all caps, which are 3 points, it would take quite a while and be a bit of a pain typing in the codes. But box and plastic cutouts are worth 10-30 points. So for minimal effort I just got me 3 Sunday River tickets and almost have enough to get a 4th. Would have had enough for a 4th and 5th but I went for a discounted Walmart gift card the other day, doh!!!