• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

best burger ever

Puck it

LOLA in Nantucket. 8oz Hand-Packed Fresh Certified Black Angus Beef Patty Served with Aged Cheddar Cheese,
Red Onion Compote, and Foie Gras Sauce(for DHS)on a Toasted English Muffin.

lolaburger.jpg

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
My local beer store has been selling ready-made sliders. Just salt, pepper and plop on the grill. But, these aren't your daddy's sliders. They've been all different cuts of beef. And not just sirloin and top round. The best so far have been the short-rib ones with the brisket sliders a close second.

Bubba Black Angus burgers in your grocer's freezer section are quite good and awesome since you can go from freezer directly to grill.

Riverskier

Probably the Gucci burger (cheesburger with crispy pepperoni) from the Bag at Sugarloaf. For years I heard over and over how great the burgers were there, to the point that I was almost hoping I wasn't going to like it. I mean, it is just a burger, how good could it be? Well, it lived up to the hype.

deadheadskier

Staff member
LOLA in Nantucket. 8oz Hand-Packed Fresh Certified Black Angus Beef Patty Served with Aged Cheddar Cheese,
Red Onion Compote, and Foie Gras Sauce(for DHS)on a Toasted English Muffin.

View attachment 6246

Nice!

but certified black angus is mid-grade beef IMO

I'll take the burger at the Four Season's in Boston using Painted Hills Farms beef. They've been undefeated in Boston Burger Bashes. Best ground beef out there IMO

deadheadskier

Staff member
Probably the Gucci burger (cheesburger with crispy pepperoni) from the Bag at Sugarloaf. For years I heard over and over how great the burgers were there, to the point that I was almost hoping I wasn't going to like it. I mean, it is just a burger, how good could it be? Well, it lived up to the hype.

I'll have to try the Gucci. I get a regular Bag burger each year at the summit and while good, it's somewhat overhyped IMO

o3jeff

A couple places have good burgers, but I find making them myself is usually the best. I've also started going to the local meat market to get all my meats now which has made a big difference and they are about the same price as the grocery stores and they even grinds the hamburg right in front of you so you know you aren't getting any pink slime in it!

Riverskier

I'll have to try the Gucci. I get a regular Bag burger each year at the summit and while good, it's somewhat overhyped IMO

I have only had one Bag burger, and the crispy pepperoni is what really made it incredible to me. I may be less enthused about their plain cheeseburger, and I don't doubt they are overhyped.

Another real good burger is at Rosie's in Portland. I don't have a ton of tasting experience though, as unlike most people, burgers are not one of my favorite foods.

MR. evil

I was at lunch with some clients at Morton's steak house last year and they had a Kobe beef burger on special for the day. Very expensive and VERY Fg awesome. Just the meat and a bun. Was going to get cheese on it and the waiter recommended that it would be better without. Was actually sad when it was finished. I would never spend $60 of my own money on any burger, but this was on the company's dime.

o3jeff

I was at lunch with some clients at Morton's steak house last year and they had a Kobe beef burger on special for the day. Very expensive and VERY Fg awesome. Just the meat and a bun. Was going to get cheese on it and the waiter recommended that it would be better without. Was actually sad when it was finished. I would never spend $60 of my own money on any burger, but this was on the company's dime.

Why wasn't I invited to this client meeting?

deadheadskier

Staff member
$60 for a "Kobe" Burger???

Hilarious. Ground Wagyu (there is no true ground Japanese Kobe in the States) runs about $8/# wholesale tops. I've seen "Kobe" burgers fetch $35, but $60 is astronomically over priced given the food cost of the ingredients. I'm sure it was awesome though.

steamboat1

$60 for a "Kobe" Burger???

Hilarious. Ground Wagyu (there is no true ground Japanese Kobe in the States) runs about $8/# wholesale tops. I've seen "Kobe" burgers fetch $35, but $60 is astronomically over priced given the food cost of the ingredients. I'm sure it was awesome though.
The Old Homestead in Manhattan has a Kobe beef burger for $81. They stuff the center with ground sirloin.

Attachments

• 040108expensive_burger_nyc.jpg
    040108expensive_burger_nyc.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 12

deadheadskier

Staff member
The Old Homestead in Manhattan has a Kobe beef burger for $81. They stuff the center with ground sirloin.

No it doesn't

It has an American or Australian Wagyu Beef Burger that they are completely ripping off their customers with at that price.

Since about summer 2009, there has been ZERO true Japanese Kobe beef in this country other than smuggled product. Japan had a hoof in mouth outbreak in their Kobe region resulting in a US embargo on the product, which to my knowledge still stands today. Prior to that, the only cuts of true Kobe coming to America were Tenderloins, Striploins and Ribeyes, all of which sold wholesale for $75-$100/# at that time depending on grading and supplier.

Now, Wagyu beef cattle (the Kobe breed) were brought to America in the 90s and there are several American producers. Thing is, they're not the same as Japanese Kobe cattle. They were crossbred with black angus because that breed grows faster. There is some OUTSTANDING quality American "Kobe" Beef out there, but even the best is only 60% as good as true Japanese Kobe. And the best is also 60% the cost at most.

I left the wholesale trade 10 months ago and at that time I was selling the highest grade Wagyu beef available in the country. Whole uncleaned tenderloins were going for $42 a pound wholesale. You'd never use tenderloin for a ground beef application. The highest graded Sirloin was going for $34/#. So even if the Old Homestead in Manhattan were grinding Wagyu Sirloin and stuffing the center of their burgers with it, you're talking about 3 ounces of meat tops for a cost of $6.38. The remaining 5 ounces of beef assuming a half pound burger most certainly came from ground Wagyu chuck which at most costs $8/# but can easily be found as low as $6.

I'd put the total cost of the meat in that $81 burger at about $8.50 max. I'm sure it tastes phenomenal, but if you knew that $81 "Kobe" Burger plate cost the restaurant about $11 combined for the burger, bun, accoutrements and fries wouldn't you feel like a sucker for spending $81 on it?

steamboat1

Its creators admit it is the ultimate in decadence: a $175 hamburger.
The Wall Street Burger Shoppe just raised its price from $150 to assure its designation as the costliest burger in the city as determined by Pocket Change, an online newsletter about the most expensive things in New York.
"Wall Street has good days and bad days. We wanted to have the everyday burger (for $4) ... and then something special if you really have a good day on Wall Street," said co-owner Heather Tierney.
The burger, created by chef and co-owner Kevin O'Connell, seeks to justify its price with a Kobe beef patty, lots of black truffles, seared foie gras, aged Gruyere cheese, wild mushrooms and flecks of gold leaf on a brioche bun.
The eatery sells 20 or 25 per month in the fine dining room upstairs versus hundreds of $4 burgers each day at the diner counter downstairs, Tierney said.
Pocket Change previously designated the double truffle burger at Daniel Boulud's DB Bistro Moderne as the most expensive at $120, and the Burger Shoppe set out to top that.
Boulud's creation -- available only during black truffle season from December to March -- rose to $150 this past season, so the Burger Shoppe raised its price on Monday to $175.
"Our burger is not about the price," said Georgette Farkas, a Boulud spokeswoman. "If you are making something concerned only about the price, you are off in the wrong direction."
Without truffles, Boulud's burger costs $32. It has a ground sirloin patty stuffed with red wine braised short ribs.
O'Connell said the Burger Shoppe was "finding the ultimate expression of each one of the ingredients."
"The concept was like a mushroom-bacon-Swiss cheese burger, which is my favorite sort of burger," he said.
The burger comes with golden truffle mayonnaise, Belgian-style fries and a mixed greens and tomato salad. O'Connell pairs the dish with many fine wines, a lager or a toasted brown beer, or ginger ale.

s1.reutersmedia.net.jpeg