• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AlpineZone Challenge 2012: Steve Wright of Jay Peak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard of Wahhs

I'm wondering if Jay peak has any plans to post a web cam somewhere on the mountain. Seems like everything else they do is on the front edge of technology. I would love to know real time , or close to it, when the snow is starting to fly or if the droplets have turned to flakes.

On the boasting of snowfall, i'd honestly say the reports are pretty accurate. I spend most weekends at the resort and have read many times the early snow report and then walked out my front door and be surprised at what i think is a better snowfall than i just read online. Go up mountain and I sometimes find Timbuktu has way more snow than they reported online. They have no reason or needs to sully their reputation of the best snow in the east. they do sometimes get a little aggressive but i think it's all within the standard deviation.

Unbiased opinions are always welcome. Even you concede that Jay practices fluffing.

RE: morning report vs day conditions.. if it's snowing then conditions will invariably be different mid day than the morning report. It's simply a live status

luvinjaycloud

Unbiased opinions are always welcome. Even you concede that Jay practices fluffing.

RE: morning report vs day conditions.. if it's snowing then conditions will invariably be different mid day than the morning report. It's simply a live status
As are all preconceived conspiracy theories! as for the 372 inch avg., i do believe that one. TFCI

fbrissette

As are all preconceived conspiracy theories! as for the 372 inch avg., i do believe that one. TFCI

372 inches translate to a snowpack of about 10 feet using a conservative snowpack density of 350 kg/m3. Even if you take into account some melting and sublimation, you are still left with 8+ feet of snowpack. I have no problem believing that above 3000', I have seen that much on Big Jay regularly. Near the base ? Not even close. May be half of that, but not much more.

As much as I love Jay, as much as I admire its marketing machine, one thing is for sure, when marketing is in charge of snow measurement, you can be sure that snowfall will never be underestimated.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Here are some Burke questions:

1. Steve, thanks for taking the Challenge again and congrats on the big news with Burke and the other improvements. Burke has long been known for great upper mountain terrain, and good groomers. The crew does an outstanding job considering the equipment and terrain they have--it is not easy grooming that mountain. One of the things that they have tried in the past was to demo winch cats, but Burke did not have the budget. Will we see a winch cat or two in the next few years at the mountain, especially with the increased snowmaking and terrain park work?

2. Burke has never had a big marketing budget. Do you plan on more joint marketing and efforts to introduce Jay's larger customer base to Burke? So far I have seen little cross-marketing, but the merger is still pretty recent.

3. Is it fair to say that the immediate improvements at Burke are going to focus more on the mountain product and overnight accommodations instead of developing and selling real estate? With the longer season and the Kingdom Trails, there will be an increased demand for good lodging (which is sorely needed).

4. And related to the last comment, will Jay continue to operate the Burke Mountain Campground for the state? If so, are there are improvements planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.