Summer Olympics 2012 in London - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I follow tennis and swimming a bit during summer olympics.
    I watches a lot of the qualifying for swimming and cheered on my friends niece who came in 33rd.
    She's young so will try again in 4 years.

Building a quiver is just foreplay for snowgasms

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Psyched it's in London as that means the tennis events will be played on grass. The coverage won't be as good, but it's almost like getting two Wimbledon's in one summer, which is my favorite tournament of the year.
    Fwiw...CBC offers much better coverage than NBC for Maine tv..but does a good job with swimming and canoeing/kayaking/rowing, and track & field... Even if it's latenight scheduling for anyone in southern NewEngland...is terrific. NBC streaming should be great, but CBC usually covers a lot of events...than NBC can be watched for US vs country-X showdowns...usually in Gynastics.
    Last edited by bigbog; Jul 8, 2012 at 9:58 AM.
    SteveD

Quote Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
    I watches a lot of the qualifying for swimming and cheered on my friends niece who came in 33rd.
    Very cool! I was on both the swim & tennis teams in HS although nowhere close to being competent in competing on anything other than a friendly match
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I haven't been following it. It seems like every four years, the media hypes some US decathlon guy who is a total bust in the games. Is this another instance of this?
    Ashton
    Eaton is the real deal. He set a world record during the Olympic Trials and he
    is still pretty young for a decathlete. He should do very well in London.

The whole Dan O'Brian vs Dave Johnson thing from the run-up to the 1992
    Olympics really gave decathletes a black eye even though they were both great decathletes.
    You can be the best decathlete in the world and miss your height in the Pole
    Vault (like Dan did in the trials) and you're out of contention. Dave went on
    to the Olympics that year and won a bronze. Four years later Dan O'Brien went
    on to win gold in the next Olympics.
    You can see my photos here - http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
    Cool...I know someone whose daughter is on the US gymnastics team and is highly ranked in rhythmic gymnastics which is the event where female gymnasts use props during a floor routine. I think they use a ball, a ribbon, a disc, and one other prop.

I don't know her first name but her last name is Zetlin and I believe she is considered a strong contender for a medal in that event.

Opening ceremony started really slow but definitely got better into the music section. Go team USA!
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

I am hoping to catch some of the Judo online. Other than that looking forward to the fencing and diving events. Except for synchronized diving. That just a BS made up event.

Just waiting for the folks at NBC to get over the concept that all of the "signature" events should be shown on tape delay during primetime!! Seriously, events finals that end between 9 and 10PM or so in London, that's 4 to 5PM on the East Coast and 1 to 2 PM on the West Coast. THERE WILL BE A CAPTIVE and SIGNIFICANT viewership if you show it live. Now with the social media connections of so many, one's smartphone starts errupting with updates within seconds of the actual competition's finish.

Atleast I'm getting to watch actual live coverage of the cycling road races!
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

The issue is the broadcast model hasn't kept up with the times. And that is because they are still operating in the model that makes them the most money. Once more people start unplugging and stop paying for cable, things will change. We aren't going to get a la carte on demand and live national sport coverage under the current model. And the model won't change until it is not as profitable as a different model. I've never had cable and can't wait for the day that we have a la carte on demand via the internet. Once we get there, I'll start paying for it again.

Nice seeing women's road biking courtesy of sport-livez.com. I don't think I've ever seen online video coverage of an entire women's road race.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

NBC airs its coverage for profit ONLY...personnaly I can't wait to hear more top level tips while watching the many swimming distance races from McEnroe...
    Last edited by bigbog; Jul 29, 2012 at 8:06 AM.
    SteveD

Thread Information