• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summer Olympics 2012 in London

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Anyone following this so far? The most interesting thing I have heard about so far is the 100M dash qualifiers, the tie for third place that went to the 1000's of a second.

Apparently one of the runners is backing out from the run-off (Jenebah Tarmoh), which means the other runner (Allyson Felix) will get to compete in the Olympics. I think that was wierd, what more fair way to determine who gets to go to the olympics than a run off?

http://tracking.si.com/2012/07/02/jeneba-tarmoh-100m-runoff-allyson-felix/

soposkier

Anyone following this so far? The most interesting thing I have heard about so far is the 100M dash qualifiers, the tie for third place that went to the 1000's of a second.

Apparently one of the runners is backing out from the run-off (Jenebah Tarmoh), which means the other runner (Allyson Felix) will get to compete in the Olympics. I think that was wierd, what more fair way to determine who gets to go to the olympics than a run off?

http://tracking.si.com/2012/07/02/jeneba-tarmoh-100m-runoff-allyson-felix/

Sounds like Tarmoh is upset because she was originally awarded third place but it was later determined to be a tie. NBC must be pissed, was probably going to give a boost to the trials rating tonite.

bigbog

They(the games) should be good... The US teams(track) seem filled with good athletes. I've been watching a lot of the swimming. Lots of good USA swimmers ~17yo!!!! Haven't seen any canoeing(flatwater nor WW), but always love that. CBC usually gives me the best coverate up here. I seem to remember that NBC is notorious for cutting & pasteing coverage, combined with Costas' personal Cold Wars with countries strong in the events....usually ends up with commentary as interesting as Pravda's 6pm News of the World...used to be.

Geoff

I just signed up for NBC streaming through Comcast Xfinity. I need to find the DVI/HDMI cable to put it up on my plasma screen.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Psyched it's in London as that means the tennis events will be played on grass. The coverage won't be as good, but it's almost like getting two Wimbledon's in one summer, which is my favorite tournament of the year.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I'm excited for the Track and Field events. It will be interesting to see how the US sprinters stack up to the Jamaicans. Bolt was a bit off in the Jamaican trials with Yohan Blake beating him in both the 100 and 200. Bolt was getting off to terrible starts, but maybe he was just making sure he didn't false start like he did in last year's world championships. And now he apparently has an "injury".
Both Gatlin and Gay are neck and neck with the two Jamaican stars. It will be interesting to see who gets left off the podium.

I'm also interested to see if Ashton Eaton will go for a new Decathlon record or just simply try to win the gold.

Geoff

I'm also interested to see if Ashton Eaton will go for a new Decathlon record or just simply try to win the gold.

I haven't been following it. It seems like every four years, the media hypes some US decathlon guy who is a total bust in the games. Is this another instance of this?

Trekchick

I follow tennis and swimming a bit during summer olympics.
I watches a lot of the qualifying for swimming and cheered on my friends niece who came in 33rd.
She's young so will try again in 4 years.

bigbog

Psyched it's in London as that means the tennis events will be played on grass. The coverage won't be as good, but it's almost like getting two Wimbledon's in one summer, which is my favorite tournament of the year.

Fwiw...CBC offers much better coverage than NBC for Maine tv..but does a good job with swimming and canoeing/kayaking/rowing, and track & field... Even if it's latenight scheduling for anyone in southern NewEngland...is terrific. NBC streaming should be great, but CBC usually covers a lot of events...than NBC can be watched for US vs country-X showdowns...usually in Gynastics.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I watches a lot of the qualifying for swimming and cheered on my friends niece who came in 33rd.

Very cool! I was on both the swim & tennis teams in HS although nowhere close to being competent in competing on anything other than a friendly match :lol:

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I haven't been following it. It seems like every four years, the media hypes some US decathlon guy who is a total bust in the games. Is this another instance of this?

Ashton
Eaton is the real deal. He set a world record during the Olympic Trials and he
is still pretty young for a decathlete. He should do very well in London.

The whole Dan O'Brian vs Dave Johnson thing from the run-up to the 1992
Olympics really gave decathletes a black eye even though they were both great decathletes.
You can be the best decathlete in the world and miss your height in the Pole
Vault (like Dan did in the trials) and you're out of contention. Dave went on
to the Olympics that year and won a bronze. Four years later Dan O'Brien went
on to win gold in the next Olympics.

JimG.

Staff member

Cool...I know someone whose daughter is on the US gymnastics team and is highly ranked in rhythmic gymnastics which is the event where female gymnasts use props during a floor routine. I think they use a ball, a ribbon, a disc, and one other prop.

I don't know her first name but her last name is Zetlin and I believe she is considered a strong contender for a medal in that event.

MR. evil

I am hoping to catch some of the Judo online. Other than that looking forward to the fencing and diving events. Except for synchronized diving. That just a BS made up event.

drjeff

Just waiting for the folks at NBC to get over the concept that all of the "signature" events should be shown on tape delay during primetime!! :mad: Seriously, events finals that end between 9 and 10PM or so in London, that's 4 to 5PM on the East Coast and 1 to 2 PM on the West Coast. THERE WILL BE A CAPTIVE and SIGNIFICANT viewership if you show it live. Now with the social media connections of so many, one's smartphone starts errupting with updates within seconds of the actual competition's finish.

Atleast I'm getting to watch actual live coverage of the cycling road races!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The issue is the broadcast model hasn't kept up with the times. And that is because they are still operating in the model that makes them the most money. Once more people start unplugging and stop paying for cable, things will change. We aren't going to get a la carte on demand and live national sport coverage under the current model. And the model won't change until it is not as profitable as a different model. I've never had cable and can't wait for the day that we have a la carte on demand via the internet. Once we get there, I'll start paying for it again.

Nice seeing women's road biking courtesy of sport-livez.com. I don't think I've ever seen online video coverage of an entire women's road race.

bigbog

NBC airs its coverage for profit ONLY...personnaly I can't wait to hear more top level tips while watching the many swimming distance races from McEnroe...

Last edited: