• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is Magic Mountain a Resort or Not??

Is Magic Mountain a Resort?

• Yes

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 14 82.4%

• Total voters

skidmarks

As seen on FaceBook

"Magic ranked #4 by readers of 2012 Snoweast Magazine as "favorite classic resort" in the east...We're #2 in VT behind our good friends Mad River Glen. Not sure "classic" and "resort" go together though...."

I love Magic Mountain don't get me wrong, but aren't they a resort? Lots of Condos and Homes. Granted they don't have a Sushi Bar and you won't find people dilly dallying in fancy restaurants.

History-Magic Mountain
"It is no wonder Thorner was so selective in his search for a mountain at which he could create "A Little Corner of Switzerland." He ended selecting Glebe Mountain in Londonderry Vermont. Glebe's separate valleys created diverse terrain heading in various directions from the lifts almost like miniature Swiss Valleys. At the bottom of it all Hans built a miniature Swiss Village complete with hotels like Dostal's and the Blue Gentian. Every structure from the base of the access road to the summit was master planned."

thetrailboss

Staff member
A "resort" by 1960's standards maybe, but it is not a "resort" that we think of today. It is a ski area I'd say.

Hawkshot99

If there is not a hotel, and restaurants and everything required to keep a family at the "resort" for the entire trip then it is not a resort in my book.

skidmarks

If there is not a hotel, and restaurants and everything required to keep a family at the "resort" for the entire trip then it is not a resort in my book.

Resort: A place that is a popular destination for vacations or recreation, or which is frequented for a particular purpose.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Almost every mountain has condos. I don't think condos make a mountain a resort. Even MRG has second homes and ski club houses along its boarder. Cannon has Mittersill. Wildcat is completely second home and condo free but I can't really think of any other major without any condos or real estate. Stowe used to be in that class but Spruce Peak development changed that. Depending upon how small you want to go, Dartmouth and Middlebury don't have any development. I don't think Gunstock has any condos but Gunstock has a LOT of non-skiing stuff going on.

I would define a ski resort as a mountain that has on mountain lodging along with a restaurant and some non-skiing things to do (i.e. pool, game room, etc). You should generally be able to show up at a resort and not get back into your car during your stay (unless you want to go somewhere else).

skidmarks

I was thinking Wildcat is the only pure ski area other than smaller places like Ski Sundown, Cochrans, Middlebury.

Magic has all those on Mountain condos and homes and people come up and hang for the weekend. They even have snow tubbing, Yikes!!

Hawkshot99

I was thinking Wildcat is the only pure ski area other than smaller places like Ski Sundown, Cochrans, Middlebury.

Whiteface? Has Lake Placid nearby, but must drive to the mtn.

Magic has all those on Mountain condos and homes and people come up and hang for the weekend. They even have snow tubbing, Yikes!!

I have never been to Magic. Looking at the Magic websight I did not see any of that on the map, or notice a link to something of the sort.

gmcunni

I would define a ski resort as a mountain that has on mountain lodging along with a restaurant and some non-skiing things to do (i.e. pool, game room, etc). You should generally be able to show up at a resort and not get back into your car during your stay (unless you want to go somewhere else).

^ this

yes but i still can't put Magic in the "resort" category. fantastic, awesome, incredible ski area that i'd love to ski at a lot - YES. resort - No.

deadheadskier

Staff member

some Mid sized pure ski areas as well. Sunapee, Ragged, Gunstock. Don't think I've seen any lodging at Mt Abram in Maine either, though I've never ventured over to the west side of the Mountain

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Why would I want to ski somewhere that I can't buy a luxury condo?

Spoken like a true K-Mart skier! :).

Magic used to be a resort, when I first skied there as a kid in the early 70's. Dostal's was a first-class mountain Inn and there were a bunch of other crowded places and Inn's back then. Then, they lost their panache, I guess. But, the skiing never changed or faltered. It was and still has the best terrain in Southern Vermont.