• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Google Nexus 7

zakyr

iPad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member
Looks pretty sweet! If I were in the market for a tablet that would be high on my list. It's actually making me think I need a tablet even though I didn't previously think so.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Yeah I'm interested as well.

I need a new laptop and I'm considering an ultrabook. I would probably sell my Transformer (android tablet that has a detachable keyboard) if I did that and maybe pick up a smaller tablet like the Nexus 7. I use that for watching movies and stuff on the treadmill :)

SKI-3PO

Got it mostly for travel.it seems pretty good so far. It is my first toy like this so it will take some getting used to.

Glenn

After using a Kindle Fire for a number of months, I can see the appeal of a smaller tablet. The iPad isn't "bulky" by any stretch, but the Fire and Nexus 7 will fill a nich. As will the iPad "mini" eventually.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I like the idea of the slightly smaller form factor if all you are doing on it is content consumption (reading forums, etc.)

bvibert

Staff member
Looks like the demand for the 16GB version was higher than expected, they have stopped taking orders for it.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Just saw that. I was debating getting one but without an SD slot the 16gb one seemed like the one to get. I'm honestly not sure what I would actually put on it (almost everything I do is "on the cloud", all my music is on Google (and Amazon) all my pics are on Picasa, etc.

THe only thing I think would eat space would be any program or app files. They are usualy pretty small but with the improved games coming out on the tablets some of them are now pushing 500, 600 MB, so that fills up 8gb pretty quick.

bvibert

Staff member
They should have a SD slot, IMHO. My android phone does, why not my Android tablet? I agree with you, the 16GB is the better option. It sucks to run out of room! Apparently the rest of the markets in which it's available felt the same way.

SkiDork

Ordered a 16GB for my daughter. She's been wanting some kind of bookreader and figured this looked like the way to go after considering the Nook color

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I'll hold off on ordering anything Amazon has new Kindle coming out tomorrow

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bvibert

Staff member
I'll hold off on ordering anything Amazon has new Kindle coming out tomorrow

I considered that, but I didn't like the sounds of their locked down version of android.

I stopped in GameStop tonight to see if they had any of the Nexus's to play with. They didn't, but the manager was nice enough to let me try out his personal one. They only had one of the 16gb's in stock... and, well, I'm posting from it now

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I considered that, but I didn't like the sounds of their locked down version of android.

I stopped in GameStop tonight to see if they had any of the Nexus's to play with. They didn't, but the manager was nice enough to let me try out his personal one. They only had one of the 16gb's in stock... and, well, I'm posting from it now

Cool! They have them at Staples also

SKI-3PO

How have you been liking it? I've been thinking of getting one.

I like it quite a bit - not really any problems at all. It's seemed to slow down a little as I've loaded it up with stuff, but I'm still real happy with it. It's primary intended purpose for use during travel worked perfectly during my trip to Chile. My primary travel is ski trips and it seems perfect for that. For sitting around the house and using it here, I can see the appeal of something larger like the iPad, but I'm not willing to pay twice what I paid for the nexus (for the new one) for that.

SKI-3PO

Guess I should have kept reading...so what do you think of it?