• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Google Nexus 7

bvibert

Staff member
So far I'm loving this thing. It's going to be hard to use my phone again after playing with the nexus. It makes my droid RAZR seem like an outdated , slow, piece of crap. Jelly bean is quite a bit better than ICS as well.

bobbutts

Grabbed a 16GB, nice toy. can't go wrong for the money now.. performance on the cpu/gpu seems great, screen has great viewing angles but is a bit washed out looking to me vs. my oled galaxy nexus.
If you want to unlock/root/rom it, check out Google Nexus Toolkit

bvibert

Staff member
The screen seems much better than my Razr in all areas. Of course the Razr has a screen protector that's pretty scratched up, in addition to having anti-glare, which I think muddies things itself, so it's not quite apples to apples.

I'm going to hold off on rooting it unless I find something I want to do that's currently blocked.

One thing I am missing big time compared to the Razr is the Swype keyboard, which doesn't seem to be available for the Nexus 7, yet. I've become very dependent on it since I started using it a few months ago. It's not that it's really needed on the Nexus, I've just become very used to it..

bobbutts

Ad blocking is a good reason to root as is the ability to backup (with CWM and Titanium Backup).. My fave feature on Glazed Jelly Bean is the ability to toggle the Nav bar so games and movies can use the entire screen.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
You know I used to ad block all the time but I have since become ok with ads. .... I mean for apps its how the developers make money. Unless I'm paying for an app, then I don't want ads.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bvibert

Staff member
One thing I am missing big time compared to the Razr is the Swype keyboard, which doesn't seem to be available for the Nexus 7, yet. I've become very dependent on it since I started using it a few months ago. It's not that it's really needed on the Nexus, I've just become very used to it..

I just installed Swype beta on my nexus, so far so good. Looks like that may no longer be an issue for me..

SkiDork

Just gave it to my daughter today(birthday). I liked it when I "configured" it (meaning get to play around with it prior to giving it to her

SkiDork

I don't really feel the need for one. I think my phone is fine, it doesn't give me much extra functionality (IMHO of course)

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I sold my Asus Transformer tablet, but the one major thing I do miss about it was using it to watch video while on the treadmill.