• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Colorado Mass Murder

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
What a mess, huh? I feel horrible for the victims & families. My sister (Ski Stef) is only about an hour away from there so of course it hits closer to home.

Can't even imagine what that must be like to have been in that theater..... a truly horrible story :(

JimG.

Staff member
Truly horrible.

The worst story is about Jessica Ghawi, a journalist who narrowly escaped the Toronto shooting that occurred last month only to die yesterday at the movie theater. I guess when your time comes you go no matter what.

Why does the media glorify these assholes with endless coverage that we will all have to listen to for the next 2 weeks? I'm convinced many of these barbarians commit these acts to get that media attention. It should be illegal.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I was in pretty big shock after hearing about this tragedy this morning :'( Very sad, condolences to all families and victims involved.

gmcunni

my son went to the midnight showing here in CT last night. i can't imagine the what the families of the victims are going through right now.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Horrific.

Not to focus on the alleged perpetrator, but I was expecting to hear it was some "trench coat mafia" type guy who was on the fringes of society. I just heard on NPR that he was a PhD student. Not at all what I was expecting. WTF?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Wtf?

the man suspected in the mass shooting at an aurora, colorado, movie theater screening of the new batman film early friday had colored his hair red and told police he was "the joker," according to a federal law enforcement source with detailed knowledge of the investigation.

ScottySkis

The whole thing is just horrible. You go to a movie to escape reality and this happens just horrible.

drjeff

The couple now that the media seem to be focusing on, who were in the theatre with their 4 MONTH OLD KID and then after they were safe, he propsed to her yesterday, really has me fuming!! WTF is a parent doing with a 4 month old at a midnight showing of a movie that you know is going to be LOUD in the 1st place!!!!!!

JimG.

Staff member
The couple now that the media seem to be focusing on, who were in the theatre with their 4 MONTH OLD KID and then after they were safe, he propsed to her yesterday, really has me fuming!! WTF is a parent doing with a 4 month old at a midnight showing of a movie that you know is going to be LOUD in the 1st place!!!!!!

I thought exactly the same thing.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

So as someone who now has an 6 week old at home, we were planning on going to a 10pm show for another movie. As far as I can tell being a totally new parent, kids that young are pretty oblivious to noise. They most likely will sleep through the entire thing anyway.

I think it makes more sense if you bring someone who is 2 who should be in bed and can be impressed by what is happening on the screen. At 4 months old they have no clue really what is happening.

Anyway, that was how I was justifying it, maybe it's a horrible idea and I am just a new parent and have zero clue haha

ctenidae

Aside from the simple silliness of bringing a 4 month old to a midnight Batman movie, it's pretty insensitive to the other theater patrons, I think. I mean, only 3 things can happen, right?
1) Kid sleeps through, you're just a twit for bringing your baby out (plus, your leg and arm have been asleep for 2 hours now...)
2) Kid wakes up and cries and you leave the theater (you've blown a brazilian dollars on a bad idea)
3) Kid wakes up and cries and you sit there (unfortunately, the most likely outcome)

Just a bad idea all teh way around. Even ignoring the whole shooting portion.

Plus, shock and awe, unwed parents! Sinners!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
well fwiw if I went to the movie with my son and he started crying I would not just sit there and let it happen. I would be pissed if someone did that so I wouldn't do that either. Regardless if it was a night or daytime movie.

bvibert

Staff member
I only take my kids to kids movies in the theaters, so a little bit of noise is to be expected... I would have never considered taking them into a theater at less than a year old though, for fear of them disturbing the entire theater. Not to mention being concerned that the loud noises at a theater could damage their little ear drums.

deadheadskier

Staff member
One of the things I least look forward to about being a parent someday is going to the theater. Neither my wife or I dig movie theaters. In six years together we haven't been once and we've already begun arguing as to whose responsibility it will be to take our child to the movie theater when we cross that bridge. :lol:

bvibert

Staff member
One of the things I least look forward to about being a parent someday is going to the theater. Neither my wife or I dig movie theaters. In six years together we haven't been once and we've already begun arguing as to whose responsibility it will be to take our child to the movie theater when we cross that bridge. :lol:

That's pretty funny! Compared to everything else that comes along with having children, deciding who goes to the theater will seem like small potatoes.. ;)

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't think you understand how much I loathe going to the theater. I'll take a months worth of diaper duty to avoid it.

bvibert

Staff member
I don't think you understand how much I loathe going to the theater. I'll take a months worth of diaper duty to avoid it.

The good news for you is that they probably won't start begging to go until they're 3 or 4... ;)

My kids only get to go to the movies 2 or maybe 3 times a year, and typically 1 or 2 of those times are with my mother... I don't mind going though, it's just so damn expensive.