• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke Snowmaking Upgrades for 2012/13

thetrailboss

Staff member
Hotel & Conference Center would be a great add for Burke. Combine that (if that is what it is) along with the new HSQ, better snow making, and a commitment to early season and Burke is really going to launch itself into the big time. Plus all of those folks coming over from Jay on the combo pass. Sleeply Burke may be a thing of the past once that hotel goes up. The NEK doesn't really have much for conference centers, right? Outside of Jay at least...

Jay is the only one. They want to build one at the East Side in Newport as well. There are a few smaller facilities here and there, but nothing big.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So does this mean that we will see at least some snowmaking on Little Dipper? I was not there last season, but in the recent past they made little if any snow on Little Dipper, which is too bad because it offers another route off the last section of the upper mountain. It would be nice if they, say, moved the Jet Triple to the old Poma line. I know that Northern Star thought about putting a lift back in there.

Masskier

So does this mean that we will see at least some snowmaking on Little Dipper? I was not there last season, but in the recent past they made little if any snow on Little Dipper, which is too bad because it offers another route off the last section of the upper mountain. It would be nice if they, say, moved the Jet Triple to the old Poma line. I know that Northern Star thought about putting a lift back in there.

The plan is to put down a lot of snow on this trail. The Academy plans on using it to do some training. Burke is going to blow way more snow this year than ever before. So this will be a big change for them.

I've heard others say that the old poma line is a good place for a lift.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
It would be nice if they, say, moved the Jet Triple to the old Poma line. I know that Northern Star thought about putting a lift back in there.

I've heard others say that the old poma line is a good place for a lift.

There is absolutely no reason to put a lift in along that old Poma line. It would serve at the most 645ft of vert unless it was exetended up across Big Dipper to just behind the Pavilion. That would get you up to 808ft of vert.
I'm not clear what the benefit of this lift would be in either case. The ONLY thing I could see is if they decided to make an upper mtn terrain park on Little Dipper (it is where they used to have a half pipe). Then the lift could service that.