• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe Pass??

jaytrem

The thing about Stowe is they never got involved in the "pass wars". I remember about 20 years ago a Mt Snow/Killington pass was around $1100. Assuming Stowe was about the same back then, that comes to about $27.50 increase each year. Seems resonable when you think of it like that, but then when you look at the competitions prices...

ScottySkis

What do Aspen, Telluride or Deer Valet get for their season pass price? Those would be the appropriate comparisons for Western areas IMO.

But is it much more money to run East coast mountain because of snowmaking so I would think all season passes would be higher here then are west of our part of the US ? Do not need as much snowmaking ,is that part of prices of season passes or do they get that money back in daily lift tickets?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
But is much more money to run East coast mountain because of snowmaking so I would think all season passes would be higher here then were they do not need as much snowmaking ,is that part of prices of season passes or do they get that money back in daily lift tickets?
Snowmaking alone does not account for discrepancies or else all eastern areas of similar size would be similar prices. DHS was appropriately suggesting that the east/west big names are comparable because you pay for the name as much or more than the product. There are many eastern areas that blow far more snow than Stowe but cost significantly less.

Back to the OP, I withdraw my recommendation for a Stowe pass. It may be the best mountain in the east with the most to offer but no mountain is worth $1600+ early season rate, let alone $2000+ regular rate. I thought the early season was just $1200 or so in past years? Mid-week for $1000 isn't so bad as long as you have a work schedule with at least two mid-week days off.

It boggles my mind that they charge so much for regular season pass but only $400 early season for students. Total no brainer on that one. Is Stowe really converting college kids into long time Stowe pass holders, though? Why price adults out of the market but have the student rate only a hundred or so more than other college deals?

thetrailboss

Staff member
What do Aspen, Telluride or Deer Valet get for their season pass price? Those would be the appropriate comparisons for Western areas IMO.

Deer Valley, first price is before Halloween. Second is after:

First Adult (24–64 years) $1,810
$2,100
They do some locals deals, but they are not that crazy. Mainly coupon books with midweek tickets running about $57 per day if you buy the max number.

As to comparison, Stowe blows DV away in terms of terrain. Yes DV is very well groomed, has good snowmaking, great service, and nice lifts, but the expert terrain is quite limited. Snowmonster and I found some bumps and glades here and there, but nothing like Stowe.

Geoff

Labor costs and infrastructure cost per skier visit are much higher at Deer Valley than at a Killington or a Sunday River. That more than offsets eastern snowmaking costs.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Snowmaking alone does not account for discrepancies or else all eastern areas of similar size would be similar prices. DHS was appropriately suggesting that the east/west big names are comparable because you pay for the name as much or more than the product. There are many eastern areas that blow far more snow than Stowe but cost significantly less.

I agree. Snowmaking only counts for some of it. Stowe has a new automated system but not everything is covered IIRC. What you are paying for is the privilege of skiing there. Their clientele, from NYC, have lots of options and they see Stowe as the very best and they are willing to pay NYC prices for it. But they demand a lot, hence the new hotel, etc. That is what you are paying for. I had heard once from a local that management are under constant pressure to make a profit/break even because this branch of (the now former) AIG was expected to cover its own expenses and not draw off the main business. Pretty much eat what you kill....sound familiar? So that partially explains why things are not so discounted.

It boggles my mind that they charge so much for regular season pass but only $400 early season for students. Total no brainer on that one. Is Stowe really converting college kids into long time Stowe pass holders, though? Why price adults out of the market but have the student rate only a hundred or so more than other college deals?

Because, again, they say they are the best and the UVM kid will get Mommy or Daddy to buy it for them anyway. So ask for more.

This is cheaper than what it used to be....like $600 or more. Then it was a joke.

FWIW student passes out here in Utah at Snowbird and Alta are quite expensive as well.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Labor costs and infrastructure cost per skier visit are much higher at Deer Valley than at a Killington or a Sunday River. That more than offsets eastern snowmaking costs.

For those that have not been, the amount of infrastructure for their real estate at DV is simply mind blowing. There are miles and miles of roads alone. The real estate is spread out a long ways. DV is a very large resort.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think the low priced Student pass is targeted at getting midweek business. I know when I was a student at UVM purchasing that pass, I rarely skied on the weekends. I'd schedule my spring semester classes either Tu - TH or M,W,Fr and ski there on my days off from class or just skip classes all together on Powder days. I was typically too hung over on the weekends to bother heading out there when I'd wake up at noon from the prior evenings debauchery. ;)

Regarding the comment "no mountain is worth $1600+ early season rate," for a certain percentage of the population that dollar figure doesn't really matter much. A golf membership to their in town course is $1750 a season. Then you have to pay cart fees each time you go on top of that. They don't even publish the rate to the Mountain Club, which leads me to believe a membership probably costs tens of thousands in initiation fees plus several thousand in annual dues.

Whether looking at the $92 daily rate or $2000 pass price, it's apparently what the market will bare. The place is packed on weekends and holidays. I'm just happy I have friends who are business managers or owners in town that can get me on the hill for $50. ;)

steamboat1

Stowe is usually one of the more generous mountains when it comes to offering deals to ski club members. They usually run ski club appreciation days during 3 separate weekday periods during the winter. If I remember correctly lift tickets for ski club members are about $40 for a single day ticket & about $30 for multiple day tickets during these offers. Between ski club appreciation days & using Vt. Passes I get to ski Stowe several times a season at a very reasonable cost. They also offer bulk ticket rates to ski clubs but I don't remember what the rate is. I'd venture to guess somewhere around $60 for a day pass.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Another deal they offered as recently as 05 was industry appreciation days. 1st Thursday of the month any employee working for a VT hospitality industry business could bring their pay stub and ski for free.

jaytrem

For those that have not been, the amount of infrastructure for their real estate at DV is simply mind blowing. There are miles and miles of roads alone. The real estate is spread out a long ways. DV is a very large resort.

You're not kidding, and the Canyons too. All those bridges and tunnels, I can't imagine how much it cost to build those things. Not to mention is ruins the ambiance somewhat for me. I think Deer Valley did a better job than the Canyons though.

Way off topic here, but if you look on Bing you can see one of the Canyons new ski tunnels off the back of Iron Mountain pointing directly at PCMR. Hmmm.....

Huck_It_Baby

Back to the OP, I withdraw my recommendation for a Stowe pass. It may be the best mountain in the east with the most to offer but no mountain is worth $1600+ early season rate, let alone $2000+ regular rate. I thought the early season was just $1200 or so in past years? Mid-week for $1000 isn't so bad as long as you have a work schedule with at least two mid-week days off.

I'm still undecided on what to get. $1600 is a pricey but I really want access to Stowe. SB is $1,280 and I would go for that for sure if SB got as much snow as Stowe.

SB reports average of 269 inches per year
Stowe reports 333 inches

Does that really equate to more powder days at Stowe?

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm still undecided on what to get. $1600 is a pricey but I really want access to Stowe. SB is $1,280 and I would go for that for sure if SB got as much snow as Stowe.

SB reports average of 269 inches per year
Stowe reports 333 inches

Does that really equate to more powder days at Stowe?

I have a lot of experience at SB and 5-7 days at Stowe total. I know that Stowe, with its higher elevation and location, gets a bit more snow than SB. That said SB North is colder than SB South and gets good snow as well. Both, I think, have similar numbers of powder days, but the snow may be a bit deeper at Stowe than SB. So, for example, if SB gets 10 inches at North, Stowe may get 14, and Jay may get 20.

And I have heard that Stowe is generous to ski clubs with the discounts. In the last few season there have been an occasional deal or two midweek.

HowieT2

I have a lot of experience at SB and 5-7 days at Stowe total. I know that Stowe, with its higher elevation and location, gets a bit more snow than SB. That said SB North is colder than SB South and gets good snow as well. Both, I think, have similar numbers of powder days, but the snow may be a bit deeper at Stowe than SB. So, for example, if SB gets 10 inches at North, Stowe may get 14, and Jay may get 20.

And I have heard that Stowe is generous to ski clubs with the discounts. In the last few season there have been an occasional deal or two midweek.

That is my observation as well.

HowieT2

also, I think Jspin has been compiling data which would definitively answer your question

thetrailboss

Staff member
also, I think Jspin has been compiling data which would definitively answer your question

JSpin probably does. Bolton and Stowe aren't too far off when it comes to snow accumulations. It always surprises me how folks don't know about Bolton's good snow.