• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe Pass??

HowieT2

I dont know, but for each snow event he has the reported amounts for VT, north to south.

J.Spin

Website
JandEproductions.com
Thanks! I was just looking through some of Jspins posts and reports.

Is there a place he has posted this data besides TR's?

Huck, the best place to find reported snowfall for the Vermont ski areas on a storm-by-storm basis is to go to our Winter Weather Page:

http://jandeproductions.com/winter-weather/

On that page, scroll down just a bit, and you’ll see a list of the past six seasons on the left – click on the season of interest and it will bring you to that season’s weather summary page. Once on the summary page, scroll down past the first five snowfall plots and you will come to a big table – that table contains a link to each accumulating snowstorm that hit our location in the valley during the season. We generally get about 40-50 storms a season (there may be a few more that hit the mountains on the fringes of the season when we don’t accumulate snow in the valley). I generally try to make a list of the north to south ski area snowfall along the Green Mountain spine in my weather observations, and I don’t do it for every storm, but the bigger the storm, the more likely I’ll have the snow totals listed. Click on the word “text” for whatever storm you want, and if you scan through that text you’ll find the snow totals if I recorded them.

In terms of overall season averages, there is a clear north to south trend when it comes to snowfall along the Green Mountain spine (see the list below), and all things being equal (elevation, aspect, etc.) you’re going to get more snow the farther north you go; the snowfall more than doubles as you head from south to north in the state. This trend is due to two main factors: 1) Latitude-based rain/snow lines during storms, and 2) orographic or “upslope” snows – the farther north one travels in the Green Mountains, the more the orographics are favored on west/northwest winds because the mountains aren’t blocked by mountains to the west (such as the Adirondacks). The Northern Greens are also positioned well to pick up moisture that has pooled to the north of the Great Lakes, and they may get a tiny boost of moisture from Lake Champlain when it’s not frozen (the east-west fetch of Lake Champlain is really just far too short to provide any real lake effect in that direction though).

Below I’ve added the north-south snowfall numbers for the Vermont ski areas along the spine – these are all either current numbers from the resort’s websites, the Ski Vermont website, or the most recent number I had if I couldn’t find it at either of those sites. Using the numbers below, snowfall is almost 25% more at Stowe than it is at Sugarbush. That’s definitely significant, but the impact on skiing can vary from season to season – in a good season it’s less noticeable, but from what I heard it was a bit more noticeable last season when Stowe’s total was 211” and Sugarbush received only 161”. I never got down to Sugarbush last season, but others who skied at both areas last season may be able to comment on any differences they observed.

Jay Peak: 376”
Smuggler’s Notch: 322”
Stowe: 333”
Bolton Valley: 312”
Mad River Glen: 250”
Sugarbush: 269”
Middlebury: 250”
Pico: 250”
Killington: 250”
Okemo: 200”
Bromley: 145”
Magic Mountain: 156”
Stratton: 180”
Mount Snow: 156”

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
This is what I keep telling myself!

:lol: In many ways the best thing to do is get a pass because it motivates you to go more and you won't have those mornings when you go, "is the snow good enough to buy a day ticket?" You just go....

Huck_It_Baby

Huck, the best place to find reported snowfall for the Vermont ski areas on a storm-by-storm basis is to go to our Winter Weather Page:

http://jandeproductions.com/winter-weather/

On that page, scroll down just a bit, and you’ll see a list of the past six seasons on the left – click on the season of interest and it will bring you to that season’s weather summary page. Once on the summary page, scroll down past the first five snowfall plots and you will come to a big table – that table contains a link to each accumulating snowstorm that hit our location in the valley during the season. We generally get about 40-50 storms a season (there may be a few more that hit the mountains on the fringes of the season when we don’t accumulate snow in the valley). I generally try to make a list of the north to south ski area snowfall along the Green Mountain spine in my weather observations, and I don’t do it for every storm, but the bigger the storm, the more likely I’ll have the snow totals listed. Click on the word “text” for whatever storm you want, and if you scan through that text you’ll find the snow totals if I recorded them.

In terms of overall season averages, there is a clear north to south trend when it comes to snowfall along the Green Mountain spine (see the list below), and all things being equal (elevation, aspect, etc.) you’re going to get more snow the farther north you go; the snowfall more than doubles as you head from south to north in the state. This trend is due to two main factors: 1) Latitude-based rain/snow lines during storms, and 2) orographic or “upslope” snows – the farther north one travels in the Green Mountains, the more the orographics are favored on west/northwest winds because the mountains aren’t blocked by mountains to the west (such as the Adirondacks). The Northern Greens are also positioned well to pick up moisture that has pooled to the north of the Great Lakes, and they may get a tiny boost of moisture from Lake Champlain when it’s not frozen (the east-west fetch of Lake Champlain is really just far too short to provide any real lake effect in that direction though).

Below I’ve added the north-south snowfall numbers for the Vermont ski areas along the spine – these are all either current numbers from the resort’s websites, the Ski Vermont website, or the most recent number I had if I couldn’t find it at either of those sites. Using the numbers below, snowfall is almost 25% more at Stowe than it is at Sugarbush. That’s definitely significant, but the impact on skiing can vary from season to season – in a good season it’s less noticeable, but from what I heard it was a bit more noticeable last season when Stowe’s total was 211” and Sugarbush received only 161”. I never got down to Sugarbush last season, but others who skied at both areas last season may be able to comment on any differences they observed.

Jay Peak: 376”
Smuggler’s Notch: 322”
Stowe: 333”
Bolton Valley: 312”
Mad River Glen: 250”
Sugarbush: 269”
Middlebury: 250”
Pico: 250”
Killington: 250”
Okemo: 200”
Bromley: 145”
Magic Mountain: 156”
Stratton: 180”
Mount Snow: 156”

WOW! Thanks for all of this. Your data is invaluable!

The difference in snow from SB to Stowe is clearly significant and makes me lean towards Stowe which then makes me lean towards Jay. The problem with Jay is distance and the problem with Stowe is cost.

I think I'm just driving myself crazy trying to find a perfect balance. I love skiing all northern resorts so I'm sure I'll be a happy guy no matter what!

thetrailboss

Staff member
The truth is that if you are moving to BTV the drive to Jay is not too bad. It is longer, but not like driving to Jay from Boston or something.

Huck_It_Baby

The truth is that if you are moving to BTV the drive to Jay is not too bad. It is longer, but not like driving to Jay from Boston or something.

Google says 1 hr 28 mins to Jay and 1hr 8 mins to Stowe.

Really not much of a difference. Jay pass is so much cheaper too.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Google says 1 hr 28 mins to Jay and 1hr 8 mins to Stowe.

Really not much of a difference. Jay pass is so much cheaper too.

Wow. Interesting. Stowe is further than you think because once you get to Stowe proper you still have a ways to go up the Mountain Road before you get to the resort. I would have said one hour.

90 minutes or so to Jay seems about right, but it has been a long time since I drove from Middlebury via BTV to JPR.

And a Jay pass includes Burke, which is great if you have not been. BTV to Burke is not a short drive though.....

ScottySkis

Wow. Interesting. Stowe is further than you think because once you get to Stowe proper you still have a ways to go up the Mountain Road before you get to the resort. I would have said one hour.

90 minutes or so to Jay seems about right, but it has been a long time since I drove from Middlebury via BTV to JPR.

And a Jay pass includes Burke, which is great if you have not been. BTV to Burke is not a short drive though.....

Is their back ways to Stowe?

Huck_It_Baby

This was what google said from Colchester to Stowe Mountain Resort, not the village of Stowe.

Never been to Burke but hear good things though!

Huck_It_Baby

I found this posted about why someone skis at Stowe on the TGR forums. Accurate????

"I ski stowe because...
1. You don't have to avoid it on canadian holidays
2. I have never waited more than 15 or 20 minutes in line on the worst days. If thats the case you just go hiking and take 2 hour long bc runs
3. The patrol guys are awesome, respect them and they leave you alone... Includes hucking the waterfall.
4. There are cliffs everywhere, and some huge ones too
5. Jay's ridge doesn't have anything that compares to the chin.
6. The gondola is nice and warm, and the quad isn't nicknamed the "green mountain freezer"
7. There are sick lines on spruce that nobody skis
8. I like the feel of the stowe hardwood glades better than jay.
9. Stowe has chutes such as the pipeline and goat chute that I have found nothing like at jay.
10. Free samples at the cider mill and cabot on the ride home.
11. I think that park is ok, I don't really know... I ride flat-tails.
12. When on wind hold the double is often running and its a 15 minute hike to the top of the quad.
13. Its a long way to stowe but its fast unlike meandering through bumblefuck northern vt
14. 53 of my 93 ski days last winter were at stowe that brings daily cost to ski in at $8.01 a day. (spent around that on gas, an issue carpooling can solve)
15. The kitchen wall is sick
16. The further back in the notch you go the sicker it gets
17. We feel the need to ski with full avey gear during big storms
18. You skate back to the resort down the notch road, no big jay car spotting involved (I hear the record is chin hellbrook 5 times in a day, I did 2 once and that wore me out)
19. You get to fuck with lots of rich people.
20. There are lots of places to stay on the mountain especially taft lodge.

thetrailboss

Staff member
This was what google said from Colchester to Stowe Mountain Resort, not the village of Stowe.

Never been to Burke but hear good things though!

Yeah, I agree with you, re: time and distance. I was just saying that folks seem to think that it is close to BTV, but the last leg from Stowe village up to the mountain is longer than one would think. But you can take the cutoff through Moscow. Just don't speed!

Huck_It_Baby

Lots more snow same commute and much cheaper pass ,best trees in the east I hear you know were to go , Jay.

Jay trees are awesome, no doubt! Lots of side country too.

I actually enjoy hiking back Rt 242 to the resort or Dip lot.