Stowe Pass?? - Page 9

AlpineZone

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Stowe Pass??

I think the 250 on Sterling was approved, IIRC. I thought I saw that on the net sometime this past year but I may be mistaken. I haven't heard any plans to follow through even if the plan was approved.

I can see a six pack working on Sterling, there is enough terrain to spread folks around and it is more protected than Madonna. I can't see a high speed lift going to Madonna summit. Not a chance on that happening practically. And definitely not enough terrain for that type of capacity as the expert trails are closed due to conditions frequently.

What I can see happening is a HSQ replacing Madonna II and the summit lift being cut in half with a new double similar to Castlerock going from the mid-station area to the summit. So the HSQ would service blue terrain almost exclusively and the double would service black terrain and it could be lapped without having to ski back down to the base. Top to bottom die hards might cry, but I think that would be a better setup (though there are some nice low angle trees below the mid-station ).
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Yeah I could not see a HSQ going to the top of Madonna...without some major terrain expansion/reconfiguration. And I think it would ruin the mountain.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by riverc0il View Post
    I think the 250 on Sterling was approved, IIRC. I thought I saw that on the net sometime this past year but I may be mistaken. I haven't heard any plans to follow through even if the plan was approved.

I can see a six pack working on Sterling, there is enough terrain to spread folks around and it is more protected than Madonna. I can't see a high speed lift going to Madonna summit. Not a chance on that happening practically. And definitely not enough terrain for that type of capacity as the expert trails are closed due to conditions frequently.

What I can see happening is a HSQ replacing Madonna II and the summit lift being cut in half with a new double similar to Castlerock going from the mid-station area to the summit. So the HSQ would service blue terrain almost exclusively and the double would service black terrain and it could be lapped without having to ski back down to the base. Top to bottom die hards might cry, but I think that would be a better setup (though there are some nice low angle trees below the mid-station ).
    These are good ideas. I'm not even sure a HSQ would be needed on Madonna 2. A fixed grip would be fine, maybe with a conveyor like Spillway at Sugarloaf. I definitely agree with shortening Madonna 1 to start about a third the way up the hill. It's a pretty ruthless run out to wait in a big ass line for a long slow lift. If you could cut the ride time down by a third and the traffic by a third with the intermediates skiing off of Madonna 2, it would vastly improve the ski experience for the summit. Both less traffic waiting for the lift and less people hammering the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    My opinion is probably not a popular one, but I'd love to see a day when Stowe and Smuggs are interconnected.
    Why wouldn't that be popular ? Not a Stowe skier, but I fail to see the negative.

Francois

Quote Originally Posted by fbrissette View Post
    Why wouldn't that be popular ? Not a Stowe skier, but I fail to see the negative.

Francois
    The two areas attract very different demographics of skiers. There is also the whole tree hugger demographic who would be against developing the corridor between Smuggs and Stowe even if it was simply a relatively benign interconnect such as a T-bar as I suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    The two areas attract very different demographics of skiers. There is also the whole tree hugger demographic who would be against developing the corridor between Smuggs and Stowe even if it was simply a relatively benign interconnect such as a T-bar as I suggested.
    Yeah, unfortunately even though there is somewhat of an interconnect, the idea of any ski terrain expansion in Vermont is pretty slim. Not to get political, but it has gotten to the point where the environmentalists/NIMBY's are protesting wind development and even a solar farm. Unreal.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

It's easy enough still to traverse from one to the other. Problem is getting a cheap ride up the Big Spruce chair or whatever they call it now days over to Smuggs. Just a little uphill hike from the top of the new chair. I do think they keep a sign on the Stowe side saying it's closed, not sure about the Smuggs side.

As an aside am I the only one who thinks they they ruined Big Spruce with the new chair not going to the summit eliminating easy access to the best terrain off Spruce Peak? I know it gets windy up the old lift line but geeze. Not to mention the view from the top.
    Last edited by steamboat1; Aug 11, 2012 at 10:29 PM.

yes, I would've preferred the old lift terminus. across the street though, the new Forerunner being a 50 feet longer is much better. Easy to get to Nosedive now. It wasn't that big of a deal cutting around the Stone Hut, but most visitors weren't aware of that option and had to hike the little hill.

I'm torn on how I feel about the overall regrade and addition of snowmaking on Main Street. Though it rarely lasted long due to it's exposure, Main Street was often a great all natural trail before the "upgrade." That said, they buff that sucker out pretty sweet and it's a heckuva groomer now. I say this as someone who generally doesn't care much for groomed terrain.

$1,653. Wow.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Thread Information