Burton stickers recommend poaching MRG

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 84
  1. #1

    Burton stickers recommend poaching MRG

    Thoughts? Just saw it on the MRG Facebook page thought it was interesting. I think this sticker has probably been around for a while although I've never seen it.

    http://www.pbteen.com/products/burto...y=cburton-shop

    img8b.jpg

    I did read before about the Burton recommendation to Poach, here in a 2007 Boston Globe article

    http://www.boston.com/sports/other_s...urtons_bounty/

    That's the message from Burton Snowboards during a campaign designed to entice riders to document their experiences trying to ride at four North American resorts where snowboarding is banned.Burton's "Poacher Freedom" campaign is looking for the best snowboarding video at Mad River Glen in Vermont, Deer Valley and Alta in Utah, and Taos Ski Valley in New Mexico. The person or group with the top video from each resort wins $5,000.
    In his pitch on the Burlington, Vt.-based company's website -burton.com/poachers - snowboarding pioneer and company founder Jake Burton calls the four areas "elitist" and "fascist," and the bans "Draconian."


    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

    Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

    Get AZ on your mobile phone!

  2. #2
    I took part in the poach movement back in college.

    It really showed the true colors of a lot of MRG's clientel. I got called a nigger (Im white) and all sorts of other stuff. It was pretty sad.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I took part in the poach movement back in college.

    It really showed the true colors of a lot of MRG's clientel. I got called a nigger (Im white) and all sorts of other stuff. It was pretty sad.
    Wow, really?

    I skied MRG this past year and I had an awesome time. I don't really have a perspective on the snowboard or not thing, mostly because it didn't affect me at all; I feel like if there was a place that was snowboard only I wouldn't really have an issue with it, it's just a schtick in some ways.

    In any event, you will always have A_holes on any side, and no one should have said that to you.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

    Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

    Get AZ on your mobile phone!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Wow, really?

    I skied MRG this past year and I had an awesome time. I don't really have a perspective on the snowboard or not thing, mostly because it didn't affect me at all; I feel like if there was a place that was snowboard only I wouldn't really have an issue with it, it's just a schtick in some ways.

    In any event, you will always have A_holes on any side, and no one should have said that to you.
    Completely agree. I honestly wasn't affected that much personally. Just kinda shook my head at how some people act.

    Honestly, within 20 years, probably less, MRG will integrate. Their old school attitude is just not going to fly when my generation is paying the bills. Still have some time for that to take effect.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

  5. #5
    snowmonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In my mind, northern New England
    Posts
    4,066
    I remember that MRG was accused of being racist for banning snowboarders. Now, I know where that came from.=)
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - H. D. Thoreau

  6. #6
    thetrailboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
    Posts
    27,471
    The sticker is no surprise. In fact, Snowboarders poached MRG and made a video of it for a contest several years ago--either 2007 or 2008.

    As to attitude, yes there is a vocal minority. We have them too at Alta. These few folks like to exclude people. Others just go with the flow and like the place. I would not let a few bad apples spoil the whole barrel. And we have yet to have a snowboarder only place.
    Live, Ski, or Die!


  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    Posts
    3,636
    Isn't this kind of old? I thought Taos allowed boards now. I always understood part of the reason MRG banned them was because of the single chair and derailments at the unloading station. DV and Alta obviously think there's a market for skier only. Fair or unfair its their business.

    Alex

    Lake Hopatcong, NJ

  8. #8
    That sticker has been around for a while....I've got one on the beer fridge from a few yrs back. I've earned my turns with my board a couple times at MRG and never heard a word from anyone else there, the place wasn't exactly open yet though, just others like myslef making the hike up. I do agree that it's only a matter of time, can't believe it hasn't happened yet it just doesn't make any sense to me.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by 4aprice View Post
    Isn't this kind of old? I thought Taos allowed boards now. I always understood part of the reason MRG banned them was because of the single chair and derailments at the unloading station. DV and Alta obviously think there's a market for skier only. Fair or unfair its their business.

    Alex

    Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    Taos has allowed boarders for at least a couple years now. Probably close to 5. It is awesome when they have snow.

    It also had nothing to do with the single chair and everything to do with the owner back in the day getting her panties in a bunch because a snowboarder looked at her funny.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    It also had nothing to do with the single chair and everything to do with the owner back in the day getting her panties in a bunch because a snowboarder looked at her funny.
    Acually it did, and some boarders did more than look at her funny. Here's your history lesson...

    http://business.transworld.net/13641...snowboard-ban/

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.