• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe Pass??

HowieT2

I thought slidebrook was "off limits" except for the tours SB runs? Feel free to answer in PM as opposed to the open forum.

not true. not patrolled but certainly not off limits in the winter (my wife thinks its my weekend home). I believe in the spring/summer it is off limits due to bear mating season or something like that.

HowieT2

I was looking at this on google earth actually. Looks like the Long trail runs the ridge from ME to CR and is more or less down hill.

This plus Slide brook access is making the ME pass start to look better and better.

while your looking at google earth, check out the area north of the Exterminator trail which is great woods skiing. there is some crazy stuff in there off the ridge line and extending well beyond the on map portions.

Huck_It_Baby

while your looking at google earth, check out the area north of the Exterminator trail which is great woods skiing. there is some crazy stuff in there off the ridge line and extending well beyond the on map portions.

I was totally eyeballing that zone this morning! Looks like a lot of potential and easy connecting back into the resort via Northway or Brambles.

Decent cliffs or drops back there?

Thanks for pointing this out and confirming my hopes about that area. =)

AdironRider

Is this "huh" because you disagree it takes minimal effort?

The ridge between ME and CR looks to be about a little more than a mile. Not bad really but maybe there is something I don't know about up there?

Man thats nothing. Sounds like its maybe a bit more bushwacking than "hey lets head right over there" kinda thing, but who says thats a bad thing?

I do probably twice that with every Four Pines lap.

Huck_It_Baby

Man thats nothing. Sounds like its maybe a bit more bushwacking than "hey lets head right over there" kinda thing, but who says thats a bad thing?

Agreed. I'm all for a bit of a bushwhack for good lines and pow. The Long trail runs the ridge...can't be too bad.

jaytrem

Not sure if the "Huh" is disagreement or you just never bothered going all the way across. But, before the Slide Brook chair went in the shuttle busses heading south used to be a bit crowded at the end of the day. So rather than risk having to wait a bus or two we would shoot across the ridge. The Long Trail was almost always already packed down, and the couple climbs in my opinion were quick and easy. To me it was not only minimal effort, it was also a time saver and bonus Castlerock.

AdironRider

Do you mean Four Pines @ J-Hole? Bushwhacking out there is easier in my opinion.

I do. And I wasnt really referencing bushwhacking to get there, but rather it not a line of sight thing like with Four Pines where you can see how to get there, as well as the entire run, from the Sublette chair.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I thought slidebrook was "off limits" except for the tours SB runs? Feel free to answer in PM as opposed to the open forum.
I'm sure SB is tight lipped about it because they don't want people going in and getting over their head. But the access is open. Just don't expect a map or a rescue.

I would only go with M.Ellen with the Bash Badge at Smuggs as well. Ellen has good trees and is a good mountain. It just isn't as expansive as some other options. I like a bit more variety and to move about a bit more. Just my preference.

Huck It, you are looking at the wrong side of the ridge if you think Stowe pass would be great for Teardrop/Underhill. That entire ridge dropping back into the resort is unique and unrivaled in the east for hiking from a resort.

HowieT2

I was totally eyeballing that zone this morning! Looks like a lot of potential and easy connecting back into the resort via Northway or Brambles.

Decent cliffs or drops back there?

Thanks for pointing this out and confirming my hopes about that area. =)

Yup. Pm me and ill send you some video.

HowieT2

Is this "huh" because you disagree it takes minimal effort?

The ridge between ME and CR looks to be about a little more than a mile. Not bad really but maybe there is something I don't know about up there?

Exactly. Its doable but i wouldnt describe it as "minimal" effort. Maybe its just me.

HowieT2

No bushwacking, but its not close.

HowieT2

Not sure if the "Huh" is disagreement or you just never bothered going all the way across. But, before the Slide Brook chair went in the shuttle busses heading south used to be a bit crowded at the end of the day. So rather than risk having to wait a bus or two we would shoot across the ridge. The Long Trail was almost always already packed down, and the couple climbs in my opinion were quick and easy. To me it was not only minimal effort, it was also a time saver and bonus Castlerock.

Correct. Doesnt really make sense for me in the winter since i have an lp pass, but ive hiked it in the summer.

Huck_It_Baby

Huck It, you are looking at the wrong side of the ridge if you think Stowe pass would be great for Teardrop/Underhill. That entire ridge dropping back into the resort is unique and unrivaled in the east for hiking from a resort.

I know that teardrop and other stuff on the west side of Mansfield isn't going to bring me back to the lifts. I'm ok with that. That's what skins and a girlfriend with a car to pick me up is for =)

I can see the hikable stuff that leads back into the resort from looking at topos, photos, videos, etc. Looks awesome! Hoping I can link up with some of you guys this season. I will sadly be leaving my ski buddies behind in western NY and need to find a new crew!

thetrailboss

Staff member
I had the ME Plus for two seasons and it is a great value. You get the benefits of a long season because you get early and late season access while ME regular is early only and then only ME. ME Plus gets you 5 days at LP as well during prime season. Best deal.

As for other comments: Smuggs is good, but long lift lines and slow lift. Jay can be a haul from BTV. No buts about that. 1:30-2 hours in my experience. And Cochran's? Seriously?

BV: can be good, but short season and flat.