• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Product: The Mountain Collective (TM) Pass

AdironRider

4 hour from SLC to Jackson is pretty much impossible unless you are going over the speed limit (good luck) the whole way in pristine conditions. Its more like 5 realistically, and in the winter its a rough trip, mostly due to wind.

Weekend trip sure, day trip not so much.

Getting more dirt on this pass. Each mountain is different, but as a full season pass holder for Jackson I now get 50% off lift tickets at all the mountains included on the mtn collective pass, but no lodging deals.

I must admit, at first I was skeptical about this pass, but now that all the details are clear (seriously Liftopia, your marketing of this pass sucks) its one of the better deals ever offered by this elite tier of resorts.

snowmonster

Yeah. Are we going to see you at Christmas?

We shall see...

4 hour from SLC to Jackson is pretty much impossible unless you are going over the speed limit (good luck) the whole way in pristine conditions. Its more like 5 realistically, and in the winter its a rough trip, mostly due to wind.
Looks like JH has to be a weekend hit!

jaytrem

You could break up the SLC/JH drive by hitting some smaller places on the way up or back. You got Pine Creek, Beaver, Pebble Creek and Pomerelle. Not sure if that's your cup of tea, but they might be worth a visit.

As for Aspen, is it worth getting on a plane and then having to drive 4 hours? There is some great scenery on the SLC/Aspen drive. About the only skiing in between is Powderhorn and then Sunlight, but Sunlight is just about in Aspen.

And I see Delta flys direct to Reno.

deadheadskier

Staff member
When I visited Aspen, I flew into Vail/Eagle direct from a connection in Chicago. Only about a 2 hour drive from Eagle/Vail airport to Aspen.. I'm sure flights into Eagle/Vail are super expensive these days though.

AdironRider

When I visited Aspen, I flew into Vail/Eagle direct from a connection in Chicago. Only about a 2 hour drive from Eagle/Vail airport to Aspen.. I'm sure flights into Eagle/Vail are super expensive these days though.

Ive made the flight from Jackson to Vail for work about 10 times now, depending on the season, it can be reasonable.

With gas prices what they are by the time you rent a car and drive from Denver it makes financial sense paying the extra 200 bucks round trip to get into the podunk ski town airports.

And IMO its not worth it to break up the drive from SLC for those little ski areas, and the lodging options are pretty weak. Id just sack up and do the trek Friday/Sunday nights. Sunday drive will be easier as all the momos will be to busy tending to their multiple wives and not drinking.

Geoff

As for Aspen, is it worth getting on a plane and then having to drive 4 hours?

And I see Delta flys direct to Reno.

I've flown into Aspen a bunch o' times. United has frequent service from Denver and high season jet service from Chicago/O'Hare. The airport is only a couple of miles from the center of town/Ajax and maybe 10 minutes from Snowmass.

jaytrem

And IMO its not worth it to break up the drive from SLC for those little ski areas, and the lodging options are pretty weak. Id just sack up and do the trek Friday/Sunday nights.

Worst opinion ever!!! One of my best days ever was at Beaver, about 4 feet of super light and almost nobody else using it. Far away from the maddening crowds of Snowbasin and God forbid Alta.

I understand that those aren't your type places, but I'm sure some of the folks on here like the smaller out of the way places. Did you really have that lousy a time at the 4 places I mentioned? If TrailBoss isn't into those type places, fine, but it's an option. As for lodging, what's the need for that. Drive/ski/drive, no need for lodging until Jackson Hole.

Yeah, that Aspen airport is convenient, picked up my wife during a lunch break once. Buttermilk that day, so it was okay.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Just got an e-mail from Whistler that they are joining the Mountain Collective Pass:
Starting today, a limited number of Mountain Collective passes are on sale at last year’s price. For only $349 USD, The Mountain Collective™ Pass includes two days of skiing or riding at each of the six destinations:

-Alta / Snowbird -Aspen / Snowmass -Jackson Hole -Mammoth
-Squaw Valley / Alpine Meadows -Whistler Blackcomb
Plus a 50 % discount on all additional days with no blackout dates.

Oh, to be an independantly wealthy ski bum.
I missed my calling in life.

FRITOLAYGUY

Its still not feasible to buy that living on the east coast.. The only 2 areas within driving distance of eachother are squaw/alpine and mammoth being a 3hr drive away, those 4days would pay for the pass otherwise its 2 seperate trips from the east coast and 2roundtrip tix making it not worth it, if i lived out west id buy this tomm.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Its still not feasible to buy that living on the east coast.. The only 2 areas within driving distance of eachother are squaw/alpine and mammoth being a 3hr drive away, those 4days would pay for the pass otherwise its 2 seperate trips from the east coast and 2roundtrip tix making it not worth it, if i lived out west id buy this tomm.

It's feasible in my mind, where I take a weeks vacation each month at a different western resort, depending on where the snow's falling.

FRITOLAYGUY

still though only 2 days are free at each one. and if u got 5weeks vaca to do that each month more power to ya lol. ANd if u do have that much vaca u should look into this instead , for 529 unlimited breck, abasin, keystone, 10 days at vail and beaver, Oh and Heavenly, northstar and kirkwood unlimited as well with the only blackout dates being holidays u wouldnt wanna be at a major resort to begin with , now thats a pass, not that other crap where u gotta take 5 seperate vacations. http://www.snow.com/epic-pass/passes.aspx

thetrailboss

Staff member
Snowbird joined the pass program FYI. Got an Email from them yesterday. This was already a good deal, now it is a great deal if you can swing it.