• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Apple vs Samsung

dmc

I love my iPhone - it's what we use for my job.... It's all free and works great so I'm staying out of this...

Violating patents is a big deal.. We called companies out for violating our patents on my last job all the time..
They exist for a reason.

mattm59

Website
community.webshots.com
After looking at decent tablets, I narrowed it down to Ipod and Galaxy. 8 gig ipod $200, 8 gig galaxy $175...16 gig ipod is $100 extra, adding 8 gigs to a galaxy is $5.69....I added 32 gigs for $19.80. Love my Galaxy; it is nicer than my kids Ipod.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
They exist for a reason.
True. But patents can also slow down innovation when patents are given out too liberally. I don't think anyone is arguing that patents shouldn't exist but rather that the patent system is broken and patents are being given out that probably should not be. A patent for a phone with a curved edge is a bit much, IMO.

dmc

True. But patents can also slow down innovation when patents are given out too liberally. I don't think anyone is arguing that patents shouldn't exist but rather that the patent system is broken and patents are being given out that probably should not be. A patent for a phone with a curved edge is a bit much, IMO.

When I was in a startup we used patents to protect our inovation that we worked very hard on..
It took a long time to get those patents through and cost us money.. I can see that maybe some patents suck - but we had patents denied...

When we called in the patents we took a lot of crap - but we were losing money because people were just stealing our ideas...

dmc

Apple should get on the consumer beneficial memory expansion bandwagon, but using $5 micro sd cards instead of $100 cpu mods is probably patented by every other electronics mfg. out there now hahahah

No way... I use the "cloud" to move stuff on and off my iPhone/iPad/MAC..
I don't even need to attach to a computer or storage device now for upgrades - happens over the internet...
Very seamless environment between all the devices... loving it...

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
The problem IMO is that patents are designed to protect truly unique ideas ... not mundane design elements. Imagine if the first guy to create a ball patented the sphere. That's kind of what it's like (taken to an extreme, obviously). One of the patents violated was that when you scroll on a page and reach the end, it will overscroll and bounce back. Something like that, IMO, should not be patentable, and I thought I heard on the radio that a precedent was set for UI design back in the 80's.

Imagine patenting rounded corners on a web page? Or a Button?

The design of the phone I can see. But with touchscreen phones there aren't really that many design options.

Even beyond that, the damages were way beyond what Apple actually incurred. The damages were calculated based on the fact that everyone that bought one of those Samsung devices, WOULD HAVE bought an Apple device instead. This was even for phones that were exclusive to carriers that didn't carry the iPhone .... and doesn't account at all for people that actually DO want the Samsung phone. The real damages should have been less then 200m, and even that I think would have been ridiculous. $1b is just insane.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
When I was in a startup we used patents to protect our inovation that we worked very hard on..
It took a long time to get those patents through and cost us money.. I can see that maybe some patents suck - but we had patents denied...

When we called in the patents we took a lot of crap - but we were losing money because people were just stealing our ideas...

Most small business tech startups today are on the anti-patent bandwagen. It takes time away from designing a truly good product, and small business almost never have the $$ in the bank to actually enforce a patent if in fact it is ever infinged upon.