• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River 3-15, 16, 17 2004

Joshua

As promised, I went up to Sunday River Sunday night for a 3 night 2 day stretch.

Left Sunday afternoon a little bumbed because of the weather, and arrived to light snow. One inch fell overnight and me and my buddy were firsts on the mountain Monday morning

Monday: Warm at the base, windy at the top. Some packed powder, but mostly frozen granular. The mountain had some good bases but the harsh winter was showing its ugly face. Even with the inch of snow, things were icy at the top. Also got into a little trouble as my friend and I ducked a rope on a closed trail and got caught when we went back up the lift. Ski Patrol was waiting and wrote our names down. He was nice, and we felt stupid breaking the rules on the second run. All in all, a fun day. Not too warm or cold, and trials were fast.

Tuesday: Temps dropped fast Monday night and I knew things would be icy the next morning. Talk of a storm was all about, and my friend and I decided that first tracks were not going to be special so we skied half a day. It was icy and skied off, not very fun. We behaved and it was still better than being at work

Wednesday: It started snowing about 11pm and when we woke up there was about 3 inches. We knew the storm was going to the south, but it didn't stop tons of people from coming up the night before with hopes of a foot of snow. Yeah right. We had first tracks with fresh powder and it was very nice. Light snow was falling, 5 new trials opened and we had a blast for three hours in 30 degree temps and powder. After we ran out of freshies, we hopped in our car and came back to Mass, only to see Mount Snow 12+. Oh well, so be it.

Sunday River is beautiful, well groomed, nice people, and good food at the Matterhorn. Prices on the mountain are out of control.

Happy St. Patty's day to you all!!!

Joshua

Joshua

It is a steak house, and it was DELICIOUS!!! It is pricey, but the portions are HUGE!! There is a separate bar area that had nice music. The crowd was mixed, adults, young kids, etc.

I had the primie rib, a 12oz cut with garlic mashed potatos. It was awesome.

They also have brick oven pizza that seemed popular, and the inside was covered with old skiing stuff.

Greg

Staff member
Joshua said:
They also have brick oven pizza that seemed popular, and the inside was covered with old skiing stuff.
Doesn't that make the pizza hard to chew? :lol:

Lame joke. Sorry, I couldn't resist...

bigbog

re:.....

Greg said:
Joshua said:
Doesn't that make the pizza hard to chew? :lol:
Lame joke. Sorry, I couldn't resist...
:lol: Greg....it may be lame, but it's the best so far! :lol: :roll: :roll:

Uphill,
FWIW, I've ALWAYS found the Weekdays/nights bring out the diehard skiers who are more fun.....particularly in powder_day weather....with non-diehards working :wink:

$.01