• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gotta love that wind!

deadheadskier

Staff member
You on the left or the right?

I hope left.

damn. mother nature is so bad ass, except when she assualts your wallet occasionally. :lol:

Bene288

You on the left or the right?

I hope left.

damn. mother nature is so bad ass, except when she assualts your wallet occasionally. :lol:

This is at my mother's house. Her garage is on the right. Luckily my her prized Harley was spared, just a small ding on the gas tank. Her garage is a total loss (obviously), the neighbor's at least needs the roof torn off and reframed as the ridge beam snapped in half. Oh well, she's been wanting a new garage for awhile. Now begins the run around with the insurance company.

vdk03

bummer, best of luck with the insurance company. Hopefully she gets her new garage at little to no cost.

Geoff

When a tree breaks the ridge board, you can usually splice in a new section of ridge board with gussets screwed in on either end. Garages are easy to work on since everything is exposed. You just push everything back in place, replace the broken bits, and shoot everything with a framing gun. That shouldn't be a wildly expensive repair other than possibly having to re-shingle the roof. If it's a fairly new roof, you might get away with just replacing the top few courses.

I have a 5% deductible (value of the structure) for hurricane wind damage. The repair for tree coming down on my house during a named tropical storm would likely come completely out of my pocket. That's much improved from the policy I had 3 years ago where it was 10%.

Bene288

Now does your insurance owe the repairs to your neighbor's garage since the tree was from your yard?

The neighbor's insurance is paying for their repairs thankfully. My mother's homeowners is paying to get the tree off of the roof(s).

When a tree breaks the ridge board, you can usually splice in a new section of ridge board with gussets screwed in on either end. Garages are easy to work on since everything is exposed. You just push everything back in place, replace the broken bits, and shoot everything with a framing gun. That shouldn't be a wildly expensive repair other than possibly having to re-shingle the roof. If it's a fairly new roof, you might get away with just replacing the top few courses.

I have a 5% deductible (value of the structure) for hurricane wind damage. The repair for tree coming down on my house during a named tropical storm would likely come completely out of my pocket. That's much improved from the policy I had 3 years ago where it was 10%.

It's a little more involved than the pictures lead on. Their ridge beam is snapped through several bays of rafters, some rafters were sheared off and snapped 1' or so below the ridge beam (which is only 3/4" stock. Gotta love old buildings!) From the ridge and rafters snapping, about 60% of the roof's sheathing will need to be replaced. I'll try to get some better photos of their damage. In my professional opinion I would reframe the roof to modern specs.

That is unfortunate about your deductible. I fixed up a home in the Hudson Valley that had gotten flooded from Tropical Storm Irene. They had flood insurance, but the insurance company would not cover the water damage because it happened during a named storm. Even though the house flooded, they would need hurricane insurance to have coverage.

We're very happy it wasn't the house. A garage I can get done before it snows. A house...maybe not. With my luck it'll start dumping mid October. That wouldn't be a bad thing! Any time I start a larger project in September I always am racing to button it up before it snows.