• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Subaru

Warp Daddy

Really?! I thought the interior of the 10' - 14' model year was a real step down from the previous version. It's all hard plastic and poorly organized. The 2015 seems to have them back on track design wise. Almost bought a 13', but the interior was one of a few things that made me go with a VW. VWs have their issues, but they sure now how to do interiors well!

Yep we loved the leather heated seats ! BTW Hard plastic describes just about every car we have ever owned , mostly saabs , Toyotas and a few assorted Vws and all the domestics .all hard their fair share of hard plastic .

And as far as layouts , opinions are like , WELL ya know the drill ;):razz::razz:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Lots of hard plastic doesn't bother me. I've been riding around in a new Impala rental car this week. Weirdest interior I've ever seen. It's like they unfolded a leather suitcase and stapled it to the dash.

AdironRider

One requirement I have is to be able to drive the 2 miles from my condo to the parking lot wearing ski boots. I've been booting up in the condo since 1998.

Who is this Manuel Tranny guy? A Portuguese cross dresser? :)

Once I collapse the Mountaineer and GTI down to one car that can be both daily driver and deal with hauling stuff, my Killington driveway, and unplowed ski area parking lots, I may get a summer toy that is more engaging to drive.

Coilovers on the GTI and you are basically there.

Geoff

Coilovers on the GTI and you are basically there.

Nope. You haven't seen my Killington driveway during mud month. I have around 10 days every year where the GTI can't move from either deep snow or mud and deep ruts. The deep snow is kind of a big deal since it's on the epic powder days. A Golf R on airbags with a skid plate instead of the fiberglass water shield under the oil pan might do it but they didn't import the Golf R with DSG so I can't drive it with ski boots. I've destroyed the fiberglass water shield under the oil pan several times over the last 13 years I've driven GTIs. I now leave it parked on those days.

deadheadskier

Staff member
they didn't import the Golf R with DSG so I can't drive it with ski boots.

Years ago, I used to make the 8 mile drive to Stowe from my house driving a MT Honda Accord with ski boots on. Took some getting used to, but it can be done. ;)

Cornhead

Years ago, I used to make the 8 mile drive to Stowe from my house driving a MT Honda Accord with ski boots on. Took some getting used to, but it can be done. ;)

Ha, driven my auto SHO with ski boots on before, don't know if I'd try my MT Rex tho, I have all I can do to engage the neutral safety switch with my boots on to warm it up.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

darent

Lots of hard plastic doesn't bother me. I've been riding around in a new Impala rental car this week. Weirdest interior I've ever seen. It's like they unfolded a leather suitcase and stapled it to the dash.
:grin: well put about the Impala!!

gmcunni

good day with the new subi yesterday.

picked up a used THule box a month ago. found it mounted to far back to allow the rear hatch to open enough to be useful. got lucky and drilled a new hole and was able to move the box forward about 2 inches. then used the new "lift gate memory" function to limit how high the rear gate opens. Can't get it fully open but plenty of room to get gear in and out now.

BONUS - am able to pull in the garage with the box on!! have about 2 inches of clearance :)

saturday was a good day too with the subi, drove it to ski shop to get some new gear for the family and drop off my skis for a tune, scored gas for $2.89 which is crazy cheap in CT.

o3jeff

good day with the new subi yesterday.

picked up a used THule box a month ago. found it mounted to far back to allow the rear hatch to open enough to be useful. got lucky and drilled a new hole and was able to move the box forward about 2 inches. then used the new "lift gate memory" function to limit how high the rear gate opens. Can't get it fully open but plenty of room to get gear in and out now.

BONUS - am able to pull in the garage with the box on!! have about 2 inches of clearance :)

saturday was a good day too with the subi, drove it to ski shop to get some new gear for the family and drop off my skis for a tune, scored gas for $2.89 which is crazy cheap in CT.

What are you getting for gas mileage? Do you have the 4 or 6 cyl?

WoodCore

What are you getting for gas mileage? Do you have the 4 or 6 cyl?

With the 6 cylinder I'm averaging 26mpg on the highway and up to 21 in town depending on the weight of my foot!

Geoff

With the 6 cylinder I'm averaging 26mpg on the highway and up to 21 in town depending on the weight of my foot!

I'm still struggling between HID plus H6 versus the fuel economy with much less performance of the 4 cylinder engine. The H6 and HID make the car much less of an appliance.

I drive speed limit + 9 on the highway and use cruise control whenever possible. Will that get me 26 highway with the H6? What's the MPG falloff driving in subzero weather?

Tin

I'm relieved to see these "oil consumption" lawsuits popping up. My GF has an 09 Outback Wagon and the last few times it was down anywhere from 1.5-2 quarts when I changed the oil, but zero signs of leaking. Thinking of going a little heavier weight to slow it down.

Edd

I'm relieved to see these "oil consumption" lawsuits popping up. My GF has an 09 Outback Wagon and the last few times it was down anywhere from 1.5-2 quarts when I changed the oil, but zero signs of leaking. Thinking of going a little heavier weight to slow it down.

That's disturbing. I didn't know about this but Googled it a bit. What's the engine and tranny setup on your girlfriend's car?

mlctvt

What oil are you using? The oil type makes all the difference. We have 2 turbo Subarus. Both would go through Mobile M1 fast while none synthetic would be fine with no oil needed to be added until over 3000 miles on the oil change. The Subaru forum consensus was to use Rotella T6 5W-40 which is what we run now. No more oil usage between changes.
Be careful to always check your levels in modern cars at least weekly, low oil is the number one reason for engine failures today. Especially with the long oil change intervals people run today.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Be careful to always check your levels in modern cars at least weekly

for real?

I haven't routinely checked the oil in a car I've owned in probably 15 years and those were older cars with known consistent engine issues.

Cannonball

It's pretty out of control right now. My '13 Crosstrek has had oil issues. My mother's '14 Impreza has had it bad. She's been in an out of the shop consistently since she bought it. It's situation is so universal that I've had 2 weird, random conversations about it:
1) called the service dept at the dealer (about a different major issue) they literally answered the phone with "We are aware of the oil issue"
2) a random guy in a random convenience store parking lot stopped me and said: "I work for Subaru, how do you like your car? Are you having issues with the oil?"

But my real problem is with my starter and Subaru's major mishandling of the problem (a story for another time). I like my Crosstrek in almost every way but I am really unhappy and concerned with Subaru right now. My wife is in the market for a new car. We had planned on a Forester, but I don't think so anymore. We'll probably stick with Honda for her.

Tin

for real?

I haven't routinely checked the oil in a car I've owned in probably 15 years and those were older cars with known consistent engine issues.

I do it just out of anxiety these days. My Volvo goes through oil as well and no signs of leaks anywhere, engine area is spotless.

That's disturbing. I didn't know about this but Googled it a bit. What's the engine and tranny setup on your girlfriend's car?

It's an 09 Outback 2.5i, 5-speed. Apparently it is the piston rings dating are the cause and after 12 years people are finally pissed. When her oil pressure sending unit was spewing everywhere and she was down to about 2 quarts the oil light never even came on.

She already had the good old paper head gasket issue at 48k, luckily it was covered under warranty. In the past year I've had to do a coil, an axle (weirdest, scariest set up I've seen too, just pop in, no pin), 2 oil pressure sending units because they were pissing everywhere, belts, plugs (one twice), wires, and I'm sure more. It got to the point where we had to park it in doors because after a rain it would hardly run and misfire. They are very, very easy vehicles to work on but it seems like they need a lot of it.

I was putting Penzoil High Mileage 5W-30 in it, I will try the Rotella next time.

Tin

It's pretty out of control right now. My '13 Crosstrek has had oil issues. My mother's '14 Impreza has had it bad. She's been in an out of the shop consistently since she bought it. It's situation is so universal that I've had 2 weird, random conversations about it:
1) called the service dept at the dealer (about a different major issue) they literally answered the phone with "We are aware of the oil issue"
2) a random guy in a random convenience store parking lot stopped me and said: "I work for Subaru, how do you like your car? Are you having issues with the oil?"

But my real problem is with my starter and Subaru's major mishandling of the problem (a story for another time). I like my Crosstrek in almost every way but I am really unhappy and concerned with Subaru right now. My wife is in the market for a new car. We had planned on a Forester, but I don't think so anymore. We'll probably stick with Honda for her.

They are better off just paying the lawsuits, recalling vehicles to put in new piston rings? Might as well just throw a new engine in because of the amount of labor needed.