• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Subaru

steamboat1

I have a 2011 Imprezza Outback Sport. Been averaging 28mpg on my trips back & forth to VT. with a set of Blizzack WR70 winter tires. During the summer with regular all season tires mpg is close to 31mpg. The car was only rated for 27mpg hwy so I'm happy. On the other hand the car was rated 21mpg city. My actual mpg has been closer to 19mpg.

gmcunni

we'll need gas receipts and certified odometer readings otherwise you will be labeled a fraud and your statements of "fact" will be dismissed as conjecture and attempts to promote Subaru, for whom you are obviously a mole sent to circumvent the truth.

gmcunni

hybrid crosstrek next year
562170_10151334041306689_1867827917_n.jpg

wtcobb

Interesting. Not that much better mileage, but it's a first-gen hybrid for Subaru.

My first question: will it still come with a manual, or go the way of all other hybrids?

Puck it

Cannonball just got one of these recently, not the hybrid of course. I think he likes it so far.

Cannonball

Cannonball just got one of these recently, not the hybrid of course. I think he likes it so far.

Yup. Been planning to post up a review here. Hope I can address some of the issues brought up in this thread (back when I was shopping). Got 3k on it so far, figured I'd put a little more on before reviewing just to be able to cover more bases.

gmcunni

Yup. Been planning to post up a review here. Hope I can address some of the issues brought up in this thread (back when I was shopping). Got 3k on it so far, figured I'd put a little more on before reviewing just to be able to cover more bases.

what's the short version - love it, like it or hate it?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
28/34/31 city/highway/combined XV Hybrid
25/33/?? city/highway/combined XV

Couldn't find a combined number for the regular XV on Sub's web site. But considering city only increases 3MPG and highway only 1MPG, it is safe to assume the combined must be less than 3MPG improvement.

How much more are they going to charge for the Hybrid? Are they setting themselves up for failure with extremely minimal differences in MPG? That just doesn't seem worth it. The price difference would have to be less than a grand to make the hybrid worth it.

ScottySkis

Couldn't find a combined number for the regular XV on Sub's web site. But considering city only increases 3MPG and highway only 1MPG, it is safe to assume the combined must be less than 3MPG improvement.

How much more are they going to charge for the Hybrid? Are they setting themselves up for failure with extremely minimal differences in MPG? That just doesn't seem worth it. The price difference would have to be less than a grand to make the hybrid worth it.

Why so little savings on gas?

Cannonball

FYI: 28 combined for the reg. Which is about what I'm averaging, although that's climbing quite a bit as I break it in.

Yeah, I don't really get why the improvement is so minimal. And really wonder if it would be worth it. I'll admit that I haven't researched the hybrid much since it was announced since I didn't want to kick myself for jumping the gun. But this makes me feel better. Probably wouldn't have gone with a first gen hybrid anyway.

bigbog

we'll need gas receipts and certified odometer readings otherwise you will be labeled a fraud and your statements of "fact" will be dismissed as conjecture and attempts to promote Subaru, for whom you are obviously a mole sent to circumvent the truth.
Nice lines on that Crosstrek Cannonball......

...If they could somehow squeeze 40-50mpg with that WRX...and 40-50mpg for the weekend/off-road crowd:cool: (too much blast-off drink today..;-)

Last edited:

Geoff

New question: Looking at the Outback and Crosstrek. AFA the outback, I would tend toward the 4 cylinder. Not doing any towing or racing. Any reason why I would want to consider the bigger 6 cylinder for a ski car?

Bumping this thread, I haven't seen SkiDork's Subaru but I know he bought one. I presume it's an Outback with the 4 cylinder engine and CVT? I'm curious how it performs driving up the pass. If you're going 50 mph at Goodrow Lumber, can you hold 50 going up the hill with the family in the car?

I used to drive a 1986 S-10 Blazer with 115 hp. That really struggled going up the Sherburne pass. My 2002 Mazda Navajo (Ford Exploder) with 160 hp / 225 ft-lbs was better. Every car I've owned since had way more horsepower & torque and I stopped noticing that I was climbing the pass. With only 170-ish foot-lbs of torque, I'm wondering what an Outback does on that hill.

Cannonball

Been meaning to post a follow up about the Crosstrek for a while, but wanted a few months and a few thousand miles of use first. I'm there now. Bought it in Feb so I've had it for 5 months including winter, spring, and summer conditions. Have put 12K on it including 2 trips from Boston to Philly and many, may trips from MA to NH. So here's a digested psuedo-review from my experience:

Background/disclaimer: I am NOT a car guy. Other than a '78 LeMans in high school this is the first "car" I've ever owned. I've had mostly pickup trucks, but also a few Broncos. From reading other car threads on here I know a lot of you are into cars. You know and care about subtle handling differences, 0-60, etc. That's cool. I'm sure it matters. I just don't have enough experience with those subtleties to really make fine-scale comparisons. As a "truck guy" who didn't need a truck anymore I was looking for a) MPG, B) affordability, C) AWD, D) enough space for wife+dog+gear. Most other considerations didn't carry much weight.

Thought it would make sense to address some of the concerns/knocks mentioned earlier in this thread:
"The crosstrek is a waste of money IMO. 4-5K more for a lifted Impreza? Sorry Ill take the Impreza with coilovers and save 3k."
I sort of addressed this before. That's an apples-oranges cost comparison. The crosstrek doesn't really have a base-model option so a comparably equipped imprezza is only about $1,200 less than a Crosstrek. But still, there is some truth to the point. $1,200 for the ground clearance beefed up suspension and a couple other things might not be worth it to everyone. It was worth it to me.

"Heard they are severely underpowered."
Yeah, I've heard that a lot too. But I haven't noticed it. As stated I'm not a car guy so maybe the Crosstrek is weak compared to some cars people are used to. I'm used to 8cyl pickup trucks. I'd say the Crosstrek merges and passes about the same...as in without any trouble.

"XV doesn't get that great of gas mileage, does it? On par with the larger Outback if I am not mistaken? Certainly much less than the Impreza hatch which is the only really good AWD vehicle for gas mileage out there."
It seems pretty good to me. I've averaged 30MPG over the 12K miles. But actually it's a little better than than since it crept up quite a bit after break in. In the past 3 months I've been averaging 31MPG. From what I've followed 2013 Outbacks average around 25MPG and Imprezas are about the same as the Crosstrek.

"I think you are going to be dissapointed with the XV. My wifes best friend got one and its so underpowered you end up getting much worse gas milage than advertised as your goosing it everywhere to keep up with traffic."
Kind of a combo of the above 2 comments. So I'll just say that I haven't noticed a lack of power and I'm getting better mileage than expected. = Not disappointed.

That was about it for other peoples concerns. Now my concerns:
Will I be able to carry everything without a truck? Hmmmm, not always. So far I've been OK with it 90% of the time. It kind of sucks to be limited in what I can pick up at Home Depot and hauling yard brush is not so great. I've borrowed trailers and that worked out pretty well. I'm considering buying a trailer now. It's definitely more challenging and time consuming to think about carrying stuff. Can just trow my bike, kayak, etc in the back. But with roof racks and tow hitch it's been pretty manageable.

I do a lot of work down muddy, dirt roads. Will I get down there?
So far the thing has been a champ on fire roads, cranberry bog connectors, etc. One I stop worrying about paint scratches it will probably be even better.

How will I like driving it? I've always preferred the upright posture of a truck seat.
I'm actually really digging driving it! Multiple times I've driven through a full tank (>400miles) without a rest and felt fine. It's comfortable, moderately quiet, and well laid out.

So anyway, not much a real car review by car guy standards. But bottom line is that I'm really liking it and would easily recommend it.

And I like the look......
P1000784.jpg

my 2009 outback's transmission completely shit the bed at 100K...according to the mechanic it's a common problem for this year/model...called subaru and they basically said 'we consider that a wear and tear part, you're out of warranty, too bad for you, go pound sand'

maybe i'm wrong, but 100K seems a little early to me for a trans to die...very disappointing, especially for a make that touts reliability