• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Subaru

sull1102

Can you give more information?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
Once I hear more, whether from internal or public I'll let you know. It will be ALL Imprezas, Foresters, Outbacks, WRXs, possibly including the turboed versions as well as the naturally aspirated and it will be both stick shift and CVT models. Its an issue with the 2.5L that they put in everything. Model years is the big unknown, could be 06 and newer, aka the basic revision update they did, or could be even more than that and include back to 03 on some models like the Forester. This will be as big as when Toyota replaced Tacoma frames for free a few years ago and gave Enterprise and every other rental agency a ton of business for a year plus.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
Once I hear more, whether from internal or public I'll let you know. It will be ALL Imprezas, Foresters, Outbacks, WRXs, possibly including the turboed versions as well as the naturally aspirated and it will be both stick shift and CVT models. Its an issue with the 2.5L that they put in everything. Model years is the big unknown, could be 06 and newer, aka the basic revision update they did, or could be even more than that and include back to 03 on some models like the Forester. This will be as big as when Toyota replaced Tacoma frames for free a few years ago and gave Enterprise and every other rental agency a ton of business for a year plus.

Sounds like the article that was posted might be the issue....i.e. a defective spring in engines. Yikes.

sull1102

Mind explaining the internal part? I’m not aware of what you do.
And that's a good thing that allows me to share a little bit more than if you did know. I'm in the industry well above the retail level and not with Subaru, but it's a pretty small industry when you get to a certain point and you hear things through the grapevine. The article posted is almost spot on, there's also a chance that this is a way to admit to the head gasket problems that have troubled Subarus for going on 20 years now.

sull1102

Given the boxer engine, that'll require a lot more work vs. a traditional engine.
Ding, ding, ding, ding! 10 points for you sir. The boxer is great for driving dynamics, really the best option, but for things like this it is the worst. The whole motor will be coming out of the car for this particular recall and that will really boost those billable shop hours, good for the techs and good for techs looking for work because Subaru dealers will likely be looking into hiring a whole bunch more on pretty short notice.

Glenn

I'm sure the good ones will figure out ways to make it a faster job than the book rate indicates.

Edd

Fixing engine issues all the way back to 2003 sounds insane to me. But, I do have a friend who had his Tundra frame replaced after owning the truck for well over 10 years. No charge. Our 2010 Forester is still running strong at 125k but having engine defects fixed FOC would be a dream come true. I won’t get my hopes up.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

sull1102

Fixing engine issues all the way back to 2003 sounds insane to me. But, I do have a friend who had his Tundra frame replaced after owning the truck for well over 10 years. No charge. Our 2010 Forester is still running strong at 125k but having engine defects fixed FOC would be a dream come true. I won’t get my hopes up.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone
Everything I'm hearing days this recall will be in the same scale as Toyota giving out new frames on those Tacoma and Tundra trucks, best vehicles ever made

Edd

Since this is a Subaru nerd thread anyway I’ll post this pic of an aftermarket stereo we just installed in the 2010 Forester. It looks and sounds shockingly good compared to the previous unit.

IMG_3010.jpg

sull1102

Quick update on the upcoming recall, new line of thought is maybe Outbacks, Legacys, and Imprezas MIGHT not get called in because they are built in Indiana. The Fozzy, BR-Z, WRX, and WRX STI are Japanese built and the BR-Z has been mentioned time and time aagin

gmcunni

2015 outback failed an oil consumption test today (oil down about a quart every 3 months).... getting a new engine installed in a couple weeks.

gmcunni

Wow! Did they state what they thought the cause was?

no, but it was my wife at the shop today and she just wanted to get home so she wasn't asking many questions.

covered under warranty so that's good. I'll likely be taking it in so I'll try to get some details from the service mgr on it. But from what my wife said it is not uncommon. We had reported low oil 3 changes ago. the replaced something but that didn't fix it. last time we arranged to do a consumption test. they filled the oil and after 1200 miles we had to bring it back in. that was today. When wife went in they told her if it fails they need to replace the engine and she can't drive the car off the lot. She freaked. so it failed but they said it wasn't a bad lost amount so they topped her off with oil and ordered a new engine. said it would be in after Christmas. We needed the subi this weekend, taking the family to Breckenridge and the jeep isn't good for 4 people + gear.