• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Subaru

Geoff

16920870655_92d3836a45_c.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
How many pairs of skis will fit in that low rider? Think it's low enough to fit in a parking garage in a city? Not suggesting that's something you would encounter much given where you live. Just curious.

Geoff

How many pairs of skis will fit in that low rider? Think it's low enough to fit in a parking garage in a city? Not suggesting that's something you would encounter much given where you live. Just curious.

It's really wide. I bet you could jam a half-dozen pairs in the box. In an ideal world, I would have preferred a box half as wide to reduce drag.

I suspect city garages depends on the garage. The car is spec'd as 5' 6.1". The box is 9.8" and the crossbars sit a bit lower than the top of the roof rack. A bit less than 6'4" should get you into a lot of garages.

I need to find places to wash it while the box is on the roof.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't get that either. Isn't fuel economy improvement the main point of CVT? Fuel economy isn't really a consideration for most sports car buyers.

Geoff

Bump the Subaru thread

I had U Haul put a bolt-on trailer hitch on my Outback. An EcoHitch would have looked nicer but the U Haul one installed cost quite a bit less than an EcoHitch.
19507212780_8b79f488cb_z.jpg

Nokians are next on deck for the winter. I think I'm just going to stick with the OEM 18" wheels and mount/balance every 6 months. Winter wheels, TPMS, and paying for a tire shop to reprogram the car every 6 months looks like it would never pay back and this way, I know the tires are re-balanced every 6 months.

After living with it for 6 months, I like it a lot better than I thought I would.

thetrailboss

Staff member
We just retired our 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 today. She gave us 60k of reliable service. Traded it for a 2015 Toyota Highlander Limited for my wife. She LOVES it. Pretty nice ride. ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1441677875.150977.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1441677896.597531.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
6k miles per year? Everything must be really close by in Utah. I've never put less than 20K miles per year on a car.

thetrailboss

Staff member
6k miles per year? Everything must be really close by in Utah. I've never put less than 20K miles per year on a car.

We bought it with 93k on it; had it in VT for a year. In five years we put 57k on it: four years in Utah. Yep, stuff is real close.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Okay, that makes more sense. It read to me like you had it since 05 and only put 60k on it over those 10 years.

wa-loaf

We just retired our 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 today. She gave us 60k of reliable service. Traded it for a 2015 Toyota Highlander Limited for my wife. She LOVES it. Pretty nice ride. View attachment 17446View attachment 17447

My sister inlaw has one of those. Very nice, but no cargo room with the third row seats up. She's had to borrow my cargo box a few times.

thetrailboss

Staff member
My sister inlaw has one of those. Very nice, but no cargo room with the third row seats up. She's had to borrow my cargo box a few times.

I noticed that as well. But for what we do it's perfect.