• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Subaru

thetrailboss

Staff member
Strange. I had my windshield on my 2011 Impreza replaced in a few hours of cracking in New York. Maybe your guy was not prepared or there was a supply issue. I am looking to buy a Crosstrek soon. Any advice?

It was a supply issue because the windshield has special tinting for the EyeSight system.

On another note, apparently Subaru has an issue with thin windshields. So much so that there is a class action claim.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Strange. I had my windshield on my 2011 Impreza replaced in a few hours of cracking in New York. Maybe your guy was not prepared or there was a supply issue. I am looking to buy a Crosstrek soon. Any advice?

And the Crosstrek is nice. I did not go with it because it seemed too small for the price. Then again I have a kid and we do a lot of local and distant travel that necessitated having some more room. I don't know if the Crosstrek has EyeSight as an option.

For what it is worth my 2017 Outback now has about 12,000 miles and I am getting 30 mpg average.

benski

And the Crosstrek is nice. I did not go with it because it seemed too small for the price. Then again I have a kid and we do a lot of local and distant travel that necessitated having some more room. I don't know if the Crosstrek has EyeSight as an option.

For what it is worth my 2017 Outback now has about 12,000 miles and I am getting 30 mpg average.

The Crosstrek has eyesight. You can't get it with the basic though. I never ran out of room in my Impreza but came close, hence the Crosstrek is the right side.

benski

It was a supply issue because the windshield has special tinting for the EyeSight system.

On another note, apparently Subaru has an issue with thin windshields. So much so that there is a class action claim.

I am referring to the fact they were out of stock, not that they had some unique properties.

Warp Daddy

Hey not bad for altitude driving.

Here in the flatlands or hill country , get 34 mpg on my 2012 Outback Ltd 2.5 for summer travel 30 in the winter. Use our Rav Xle for. Local hopping

The new one we ordered is supposedly better mpg .

thetrailboss

Staff member
Worth every penny! Have it in my Outback and love it, especially the adaptive cruise control.

The only issue with mine is that when I am driving along and there is a car full-stopped ahead of me the car might not see it resulting in a hard brake.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Are you saying when it stops the car for you, it breaks too hard?

If I am following a car, and it "sees it", I am fine. It is awesome. But when I am cruising along with nobody in front of me and I suddenly come upon stopped traffic in the distance, it takes a bit too long for the car to "see" the stationary car in front of me and to react. So you go from 60 mph to 0 a bit too quickly. Granted you can adjust the delay on the steering wheel. I have done it once and may do it again.

SkiingInABlueDream

If I am following a car, and it "sees it", I am fine. It is awesome. But when I am cruising along with nobody in front of me and I suddenly come upon stopped traffic in the distance, it takes a bit too long for the car to "see" the stationary car in front of me and to react. So you go from 60 mph to 0 a bit too quickly. Granted you can adjust the delay on the steering wheel. I have done it once and may do it again.

What happens if the road is slippery in that situation? As in, too slippery to slow down in time, yikes!

ViciousV609

Purchased a 2011 legacy in 2014 this was febuary 2014 drove from jersey to rutland in a blizzard subie strong unstoppable with snow tires
cb2d6eda4e36a4caf4ab5c25a3c656dc.jpg
f6e7b6d2fbb65466a9340279e7f441bb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

benski

Purchased a 2011 legacy in 2014 this was febuary 2014 drove from jersey to rutland in a blizzard subie strong unstoppable with snow tires
cb2d6eda4e36a4caf4ab5c25a3c656dc.jpg

Did that effect the ventilation? My 2011 Impreza's ventilation smelled strongly of gas when I turned it on with the front berried in 3 feet of snow last year. The smell went away when i backed away from the snow.

ViciousV609

Did that effect the ventilation? My 2011 Impreza's ventilation smelled strongly of gas when I turned it on with the front berried in 3 feet of snow last year. The smell went away when i backed away from the snow.
I noticed allitle hesitation then i got out and knocked it all off after i took the photo but didnt notice and gas smell

bdfreetuna

You might want to get a hood with a scoop for the intercooler off a 2010-2014 Legacy GT.

For additional ventilation :lol:

skijay

I've followed this topic for a while. I finally was rewarded with the dreaded news EVERY Subaru owner doesn't want to hear, "you need to replace your head gasket". I thought for sure that the model year 2009 and above were no longer impacted. My 2.5 engine uses the Subaru super coolant, has been changed, and I've had the every 30k service done at the dealer. I'm at 155k and I am going to an independent mechanic for a second opinion and an estimate. the Subaru dealer wants $2,200 for the repair.

bdfreetuna

I've followed this topic for a while. I finally was rewarded with the dreaded news EVERY Subaru owner doesn't want to hear, "you need to replace your head gasket". I thought for sure that the model year 2009 and above were no longer impacted. My 2.5 engine uses the Subaru super coolant, has been changed, and I've had the every 30k service done at the dealer. I'm at 155k and I am going to an independent mechanic for a second opinion and an estimate. the Subaru dealer wants $2,200 for the repair.
That sucks. Thats how my 1998 Forester kicked the bucket at 200k ish miles.

All non-turbo Subarus need proactive 100k headgasket service. Expensive lesson to learn.

Even the new ones IMO. Turbos are the exception, way beefier HG design.

Sent from my LG-D850 using AlpineZone mobile app

Callaghan

I've followed this topic for a while. I finally was rewarded with the dreaded news EVERY Subaru owner doesn't want to hear, "you need to replace your head gasket". I thought the Bathmate was good. for sure that the model year 2009 and above were no longer impacted. My 2.5 engine uses the Subaru super coolant, has been changed, and I've had the every 30k service done at the dealer. I'm at 155k and I am going to an independent mechanic for a second opinion and an estimate. the Subaru dealer wants $2,200 for the repair.

I feel for you, brother. I hope you get a positive feedback from the independent mechanic, but I wouldn't hold my breath. It is what it is, sadly.

Last edited: