• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

ablb

A friend of mine who rents condos on a nightly basis only had 50% occupancy for MLK weekend. That was unheard of prior to this year.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

I did weekend rentals in one unit last year and was completely booked the entire season. Also know others who rent and were empty this weekend.

VTKilarney

Very. One unit we bought in 1997, but the last two were purchased in 2012. Winter rentals have been stable but this past summer rentals were down substantially from 2013. I see very little evidence that current management cares at all about condo owners or their investments.

How interesting. A certain person here, claiming to speak on behalf of people such as yourself, insists that condo owners are as happy as they ever have been. Of course that person also claimed to be an "artist" who could "feel" that condo sales were up last year even though actual data showed that they were down by roughly 40%.

ablb

How interesting. A certain person here, claiming to speak on behalf of people such as yourself, insists that condo owners are as happy as they ever have been. Of course that person also claimed to be an "artist" who could "feel" that condo sales were up last year even though actual data showed that they were down by roughly 40%.

That's funny. I belong to three of the associations. You think Mountain Brook owners are happy?

ablb

Do I? No.

Bingo. Maybe I'm biased but the construction hasn't helped the rental market there. Most of those units are owner occupied though. Wintergreen is also mostly owner occupied. I would characterize it as a general unease among owners.

VTKilarney

A funny Facebook comment:

It doesn't take a genius to see that when it comes to hospitality this mountain has a very low " i Q"........
Like · Reply · 6 mins

JoeB-Z

A funny Facebook comment:

It doesn't take a genius to see that when it comes to hospitality this mountain has a very low " i Q"........
Like · Reply · 6 mins

Amen. The first rule in the hospitality industry is: be hospitable. The Ascutney family alienated everyone, spent money on the wrong things and went down the toilet.

This thread should have an admission price by the way.

I have two tickets for Burke from CSC and will get up there sometime this year. Let me see what I need to take into account: no wind, snow but not that day etc.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Amen. The first rule in the hospitality industry is: be hospitable. The Ascutney family alienated everyone, spent money on the wrong things and went down the toilet.

This thread should have an admission price by the way.

I have two tickets for Burke from CSC and will get up there sometime this year. Let me see what I need to take into account: no wind, snow but not that day etc.

+1 on the hospitality comment and (sad) comparison to Ascutney.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

VTKilarney

There is an article in Tuesday's Caledonian Record about skier visits at Q Burke being up 10% compared to last year. That could easily be explained by the MUCH better December we had compared to last year. The article doesn't give any details other than the fact that visits are up overall. Manager Todd Gagnon was quoted as saying; "[R]ight now Q Burke is in good shape with lots of skiers." In other words, "everybody's happy".

Last edited:

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
And that is a good answer. Fantastic. A friend went up and over the mountain on a snowmobile ride and said it was heavy crap all the way up......

Weird, I didn't know there is a snowmobile trail that goes over Burke Mountain?
Mid-Lodge up to the CCC road was wet cement. CCC Road up to the Poma mid-Station was dense powder. Mid-station up was powder. Not super blower stuff but it felt really good to ski in. It was the perfect snow to get the mountain in prime shape. I skied Rerun and never hit a rock.

Powder1_zps3c9a124b.jpg

Powder2_zps04878e97.jpg

This thread has become ridiculous. The hate has started to feed on itself. To what end I don't know. The pitchforks are out and I can't be part of it.
Burke has always had it's share of warts. Everyone expected the Q ownership to vanquish those warts. Well, there are still warts and it doesn't mean I love the mountain any less. I guess I'm just going to see how the long game plays out here but I'm done letting rumors and general grumpiness try to bring me down.

VTKilarney

If you can't see that this is bigger than Burke's usual warts, it's probably best to avoid this thread. You should also avoid their Facebook page. And don't read any letters to the editor in the Caledonian Record. And don't talk to anyone in town or on the lift. Follow those simple rules and you'll avoid disappointment.

You say you love the mountain, but you won't criticize someone who is harming it. That's rather odd.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Weird, I didn't know there is a snowmobile trail that goes over Burke Mountain?
Mid-Lodge up to the CCC road was wet cement. CCC Road up to the Poma mid-Station was dense powder. Mid-station up was powder. Not super blower stuff but it felt really good to ski in. It was the perfect snow to get the mountain in prime shape. I skied Rerun and never hit a rock.

Powder1_zps3c9a124b.jpg

Powder2_zps04878e97.jpg

This thread has become ridiculous. The hate has started to feed on itself. To what end I don't know. The pitchforks are out and I can't be part of it.
Burke has always had it's share of warts. Everyone expected the Q ownership to vanquish those warts. Well, there are still warts and it doesn't mean I love the mountain any less. I guess I'm just going to see how the long game plays out here but I'm done letting rumors and general grumpiness try to bring me down.

Nice shots. Similar conditions at Cannon today. Not blower, but not heavy either. It was interesting that between 8am and 9am the conditions changed quickly. Temps dropped a touch creating a thin crust and thickening the snow noticeably. It still rode really well after the change (maybe slightly tougher for skiers than boarders). Did you guys have that same change?

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
If you can't see that this is bigger than Burke's usual warts, it's probably best to avoid this thread.
You seem to have some sort of agenda to scream about the warts from the rooftops. Again, to what end I don't know :dontknow:. I feel that you are a big part of this hate feeding on itself. You nitpick everything and post every little piece of gossip until it seems like there is a raging inferno.
For instance today with the MBX being down.
Everyone is running around screaming about customer service. Well, back in the day the Willoughby quad would have issues that had an unknown time to fix it. There was no one in the lodge to explain every detail of what was going on. And there was never anyone there giving me a hot cocoa to make sure I was okay.
Like I said, the hate feeding the hate is not helping anybody and if anything, is making things worse for everyone.

VTKilarney

You seem to have some sort of agenda to scream about the warts from the rooftops. Again, to what end I don't know :dontknow:. I feel that you are a big part of this hate feeding on itself. You nitpick everything and post every little piece of gossip until it seems like there is a raging inferno.
For instance today with the MBX being down.
Everyone is running around screaming about customer service. Well, back in the day the Willoughby quad would have issues that had an unknown time to fix it. There was no one in the lodge to explain every detail of what was going on. And there was never anyone there giving me a hot cocoa to make sure I was okay.
Like I said, the hate feeding the hate is not helping anybody and if anything, is making things worse for everyone.

If it was just me you'd have a point. Spend some time in the community and you'll see that it goes well beyond me.

But I don't blame you one bit for moving on if this thread upsets you. The Internet is a big place so there's no point in hanging out in parts that are upsetting.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Nice shots. Similar conditions at Cannon today. Not blower, but not heavy either. It was interesting that between 8am and 9am the conditions changed quickly. Temps dropped a touch creating a thin crust and thickening the snow noticeably. It still rode really well after the change (maybe slightly tougher for skiers than boarders). Did you guys have that same change?

Any sudden temperature dip may have already passed by Burke before I got up the mtn. I never found any crust on anything. It all skied really well.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
If it was just me you'd have a point. Spend some time in the community and you'll see that it goes well beyond me.

:roll: I live here and that is EXACTLY why I'm seeing the hate feeding on the hate. There are so many rumors and misinformation flying around that it getting everyone's panties in a bunch.
Well pull out the wedgie and go skiing. Let Q make whatever decisions he's going to make because I don't think at this point he's going to please you no matter what. Are there things I disagree with, yes but I'm a big boy and don't need to start flinging poo about every decision that is made, maybe made, or rumored to be made.

thetrailboss

Staff member
FTN I think you have to admit that Burke is in much worse shape than before. The fact that management disdains their customer base adds insult to injury. We want the mountain to succeed and folks want to see a positive change.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone