• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

VTKilarney

On February 3rd, the Caledonian Record ran an article about EB-5 projects. The article focused on analysis that was presented to the House Commerce Committee by reports from the Agency of Commerce and Community Development and the Vermont Joint Fiscal Office at the request of the Legislature.

Some highlights:
- There has been a "slowdown" in NEK EB-5 projects.
- Ariel Quiros is planning a $10 million, non-EB-5 expansion and airplane assembly at Newport State Airport in Coventry. (From what I can tell from media reports, the airport project was never intended to be an EB-5 project, but it was supposed to be a $20 million investment.)
- Many of the EB-5 projects were to be completed or underway this year, but that time frame slowed significantly with increased federal oversight of EB-5 projects and competition among developers for those dollars.
- Growth at Jay Peak Resort has added 1,500 jobs.
- Analysis shows that, despite these new jobs, the population of Orleans County is not growing.
- Full build out of the new projects at Q Burke would generate about 40 percent of the impact of Jay Peak, with a greater impact on the local road system.
- Economist Tom Kavet, who regularly provides fiscal forecasts for the state, said that, "Given changing estimates of project magnitudes and likely delays in financing that may affect the remaining development projects, it is unlikely that significant public spending will be necessary to support the planned development,”

VTKilarney

Riiiiiiight

I doubt even Killington employs 1500 people mid-season.
I suspect that the number includes ancillary job creation. In other words, the added position at the Rent-to-Own store for the guy who rents big screen televisions to the people making minimum wage at Jay Peak.

VTKilarney

i was under the impression it was for pass-holders only.

Here is what they posted on their Facebook page:
Communication was sent directly via email to our Season Pass Holders but for those that haven't heard yet, we have officially announced our Q Burke Mountain Resort Town Hall meeting to be held on Saturday, February 7th from 5:30-7:30pm in the Kingdom Cafe. This meeting un-ironically coincides with our Season Pass Holder Appreciation weekend across that same date. Separate details will be announced directly to our SPH's concerning their appreciation weekend but in the interim, this town hall meeting is open to the public. Let's gather as a community to discuss our strategies relating to snowmaking, and general operations since the beginning of the season.

BenedictGomez

- Growth at Jay Peak Resort has added 1,500 jobs.

BWAahahahahahahah!!!! Oh...that's a GOOD one!

- Analysis shows that, despite these new jobs, the population of Orleans County is not growing.

LULZ. I almost spit up my mountain dew.

- Economist Tom Kavet, who regularly provides fiscal forecasts for the state, said that, "Given changing estimates of project magnitudes and likely delays in financing that may affect the remaining development projects, it is unlikely that significant public spending will be necessary to support the planned development,”

TRANSLATION: Stuff wont be happening.

VTKilarney

How did you guys miss this ? ;)
Aired yesterday on the 5:30 news slot.
http://www.wcax.com/category/166239/video-landing-page?clipId=11102768&autostart=true
Sweet! The aquatic center is opening next year!

I found it odd that Ary said that they have about 100 construction workers on site when the NEK Economic Development Initiative reported in October that: "At present there are 100-200 employees on the job each day primarily doing concrete work. As the project goes forward, the number of workers on site will increase to approximately 400."

BenedictGomez

If that turns out to be the case I pity Newport, Vermont. A huge section of their downtown is now rotting behind a chain link fence.

Whether it's winds up being the case or not I do not know.

But it is the only way to interpret the economist's impressive lingual gymnastics.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Sweet! The aquatic center is opening next year!

I found it odd that Ary said that they have about 100 construction workers on site when the NEK Economic Development Initiative reported in October that: "At present there are 100-200 employees on the job each day primarily doing concrete work. As the project goes forward, the number of workers on site will increase to approximately 400."

Haven't seen and Act 250 stuff for it yet. Maybe that would have to come out very soon for it to start construction within the next year.

My guess is once the framing is done the number of workers will increase substantially. The interior finishing work takes more people than framing to get completed quickly.

VTKilarney

Phase 1 = Hotel, Aquatic Center, Tennis Center
Phase 2 = ?

Guesses =
Addition of day lodge/cafeteria at Mid-Burke to better support racers and non-hotel guests.
Parking structure at Mid-Burke.

You seriously think that there is a phase two? Talk to me when the aquatic and tennis centers are done.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
You seriously think that there is a phase two? Talk to me when the aquatic and tennis centers are done.

Did I say anything about how confident I am that it will actually get built or when?
I'm sure the Quiros' have some plan in mind but they too are waiting to see how Phase 1 pans out. Phase 2 is likely very much a pie in the sky.

VTKilarney

Did I say anything about how confident I am that it will actually get built or when?
I'm sure the Quiros' have some plan in mind but they too are waiting to see how Phase 1 pans out. Phase 2 is likely very much a pie in the sky.
We're on the same page then. I watched the video a second time. Ary definitely confirmed that the aquatic and tennis center were part of phase 1 which would be built this year and next year. So we are going swimming next year! Anyone know a good place to order bathing suits? It's nice to see that, according to Ary, Burke is seemingly immune to the delays to NEK EB-5 projects that the state report disclosed.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
The Tennis/Aquatic Center is the "Weather Proof" component the Quiroses need to make the entire plan work.
It is the equivalent of Jay Peak's water park and ice arena. Do you think the hotels at Jay would be enjoying nearly the occupancy rates without the hockey tournaments and people coming with families for a weekend of waterparking (and maybe skiing or hiking depending on the season).
Maybe it gets scaled down from whatever the original plan was going to be, but I think something will get built one way or another.

VTKilarney

The Tennis/Aquatic Center is the "Weather Proof" component the Quiroses need to make the entire plan work.
It is the equivalent of Jay Peak's water park and ice arena. Do you think the hotels at Jay would be enjoying nearly the occupancy rates without the hockey tournaments and people coming with families for a weekend of waterparking (and maybe skiing or hiking depending on the season).
Maybe it gets scaled down from whatever the original plan was going to be, but I think something will get built one way or another.
I agree to a certain extent. The one difference is that East Burke is busy in the summer thanks to Kingdom Trails. Jay Peak would be completely dead in the summer without Jay Peak's investment in the golf course, hockey rink, water park, etc. Q Burke is not entirely dependent on their own internal projects to drive summer business. But... your point is well taken that they most likely would be unable to rely solely on Kingdom Trails.

I can't imagine that anything is going to be scaled down. Ary gave no indication in the interview, and I am told that he should be believed and that I've been overly cynical in the past. So that's what I'm doing - taking Ary for his word. See you at the pool in 2016! I'll even buy Masskier a round of drinks when we are celebrating the opening of the aquatic center next year.