• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Rt 114 is closed there for the next 3 weeks. It is a new approach to bridge construction in VT since Irene. They discovered it is easier and cheaper to go in and close a bridge and replace it all at once in a short time frame rather than screwing around with lane closures and dragging the replacement out for months.
They did put in a temporary pedestrian/biker bridge. Unfortunately, there is not enough room there for a temporary car bridge.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Rt 114 is closed there for the next 3 weeks. It is a new approach to bridge construction in VT since Irene. They discovered it is easier and cheaper to go in and close a bridge and replace it all at once in a short time frame rather than screwing around with lane closures and dragging the replacement out for months.
They did put in a temporary pedestrian/biker bridge. Unfortunately, there is not enough room there for a temporary car bridge.

So it's a long detour around it I imagine? Off the top of my head you could go towards Kirby off the Mountain Road and then down by the covered bridge and/or maybe off the Burke Hollow Road.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
So it's a long detour around it I imagine? Off the top of my head you could go towards Kirby off the Mountain Road and then down by the covered bridge and/or maybe off the Burke Hollow Road.

All depends on what you are driving. Going between Lyndon and Burke Mtn, regular cars and pickups can use the Hunger Mtn Rd/Maple Ln/Kirby Rd (50 yards of it). However, I think that route is subject to some weight restrictions. Same with the Kirby Rd/Ridge Rd.

Coming from the north if you want to get to the south end of East Burke village (market, EB Sports, etc.) You can grab White School off of 114 to Burke Green Rd, to Burke Hollow Rd.

Truck routes on the other hand end up sending traffic all the way up through Charleston!

http://eburkebridge.vtransprojects.vermont.gov/

halfpintvt

Just to clarify, the "temporary bridge" is open to one lane of vehicle traffic thru May 25th.

Per the bridge website:

Construction will start in April 2015. The bridge will be closed for three weeks – May 26 to June 15 to enable removal of the old, installation of the new bridge. Traffic will periodically be reduced to one lane during daytime hours in the weeks before and after closure. The project will be completed by mid-August, 2015.

MEtoVTSkier

VTKilarney

Here is a link to the season pass prices, including all tiers over the course of the year:
http://www.skiburke.com/assets/Uploads/sptgridpublic.jpg

A couple of thoughts:
1) For a couple, there is almost no incentive to purchase a pass before May 12th. The couple would only save $31 as compared to purchasing the pass up to October 12th.
2) How many corporate passes do they sell? They are 2.5 times the price of an adult pass. That's a hefty premium for a pass that only allows one skier at a time to use it.
3) They have sold between 30 and 54 "Q Burke only" college passes. You can infer this based on the tier that is presently for sale.

Last edited:

ironhippy

I'll probably never be in a position to buy a Burke pass, but that seems very confusing.
What's the difference between a Burke pass and a Judge pass? Why so many tiers, is that just based on when you buy the pass?
Also, why bother charging for a toddler pass?

It seems you would want to make it as straightforward as possible

VTKilarney

The tiers are based on when you buy the pass. That's very normal in the industry.

Except... the college passes have a different tier system that is based solely on how many are sold.

The Judge Pass is good for Burke and Jay Peak.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'll probably never be in a position to buy a Burke pass, but that seems very confusing.
What's the difference between a Burke pass and a Judge pass? Why so many tiers, is that just based on when you buy the pass?
Also, why bother charging for a toddler pass?

It seems you would want to make it as straightforward as possible

Agreed. They say that it works....apparently.

ironhippy

The tiers are based on when you buy the pass. That's very normal in the industry.

Except... the college passes have a different tier system that is based solely on how many are sold.

The Judge Pass is good for Burke and Jay Peak.

I am familiar with tiered pricing (as you mentioned most resorts have it), they way they have it laid out isn't completely obvious.

An extra 150$ for a jay pass seems like a great deal.

River19

Holy Crap......this praying thing really works........OK, onto praying for a pricing error giving me a new Ram Diesel rig for $100......

In all seriousness, that sounds like the best change they could have made, like a friggin' exorcism......