Big Burke announcement - Page 213

AlpineZone

Page 213 of 844 FirstFirst ... 113163203211212213214215223263313713 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,130 of 8436
    In related news:
    The Trout River Brewery is closed (as of Nov 1st).
    Rumor is the people that are going to take over the Pub Outback location are also buying Trout River. Whether they are buying the entire business or simply the brewing equipment remains to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by from_the_NEK View Post
    In related news:
    The Trout River Brewery is closed (as of Nov 1st).
    Rumor is the people that are going to take over the Pub Outback location are also buying Trout River. Whether they are buying the entire business or simply the brewing equipment remains to be seen.
    That would be VERY good news if it happens. The Trout River location in Lyndon was pretty lousy and Burke would be a major improvement.

I heard, though, that the Pub Outback's facilities had really been neglected. I hope that if this happens they put some money into renovations.

I have never stopped in east Burke when going to burke. Lyndon always seemed like a better location
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    That would be VERY good news if it happens. The Trout River location in Lyndon was pretty lousy and Burke would be a major improvement.

I heard, though, that the Pub Outback's facilities had really been neglected. I hope that if this happens they put some money into renovations.
    My thinking is they keep the brewery in Lyndonville since it is a good location for commercial traffic. Additionally, I don't think the shared septic system that the Pub Outback building is hooked up to in East Burke would be able to handle the output of a full scale brewery.

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    I have never stopped in east Burke when going to burke. Lyndon always seemed like a better location
    Lyndon has LOTS of casual dining options. This is both good and bad. It's bad because there is precious little room for a new entrant. A new restaurant has opened up in the former Vinny's location on Route 5. I wish them luck, but it's a tough spot for a restaurant.

The problem with being in East Burke is that there is NO reason to drive from Lyndon to Burke for casual dining, so you really are dependent on the people in Burke itself. That makes it a tough business, and I think the business that can make the best go of it are places like the Tiki Bar and the Food Truck that can keep their overhead very low. Burke's shorter than normal ski season does not help. From mid-March through well into May it is a dead season. The same can be said for early-November through mid-December. It's hard for a business to absorb those dead periods.

On the other hand, for all of the casual restaurants that Lyndon has, they don't have anything that is remotely upscale. So Burke could draw people from the Lyndon area for that type of dining.

I've always been underwhelmed by Juniper's, although I keep rooting for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    Same. If I were looking to open a year round restaurant in that area, it would be in downtown Lyndonville and not up by the ski area. I'd want my place to be where the year round population of people is.

Burke the ski area is actually closer to downtown Lyndonville, than Stowe the ski area is from downtown Stowe. Yet, in my few times through the area, there doesn't seem to be much of an association between the town of Lyndonville and the ski area of Burke. Maybe there is, but Lyndonville doesn't "feel" like a town to take a vacation in. I would think a nicer lodging facility and associated restaurant in the town of Lyndon would do just as much for that area as an on hill lodging facility.

There was recently one chef who tried something slightly more upscale in Lyndon. He was the owner of Timbuktu's. He had some genuine talent. And it went over like a lead balloon. He had to dumb down the menu, and then he was just one of the herd. The restaurant eventually closed.

I've never understood why there are so many casual restaurants in Lyndon, and also why nothing nicer has been able to make a go of it.

I do agree that Lyndon and East Burke feel entirely separated even though they are physically quite close.

BTW, a really good choice for those heading to Burke Mountain is the Kingdom Taproom in St. Johnsbury. It's well worth the short drive from the highway.

BTW, a really good choice for those heading to Burke Mountain is the Kingdom Taproom in St. Johnsbury. It's well worth the short drive from the highway.
    +++1

There was recently one chef who tried something slightly more upscale in Lyndon. He was the owner of Timbuktu's. He had some genuine talent. And it went over like a lead balloon. He had to dumb down the menu, and then he was just one of the herd. The restaurant eventually closed.

I've never understood why there are so many casual restaurants in Lyndon, and also why nothing nicer has been able to make a go of it.

I do agree that Lyndon and East Burke feel entirely separated even though they are physically quite close.
    A place need not be high end fine dining and "adventurous" to be good. The busiest restaurant in Stowe (by millions in revenue) is Piecasso. The place is absolutely jammed and it's so much more than just a pizza place. The chef they have has done all the high bro experimental type fine dining food in many places, but knows the market and what people want. I bet a similar restaurant would kill it in Lyndonville.

Thread Information