• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

VTKilarney

So what does it mean when they say that the Q Burke project is "still under state suspension"?

burski

my prediction, the Q burke hotel does not get fully completed by this group, hopefully they at least get thru the remainder of this year and get one side of the hotel open and the main common areas. I would be amazed if any future projects happen at Burke by this group. This will be a long ugly battle, its almost certain there is illegal activity here, whether it will ever by proven and anyone will ever be proven guilty is another story. Hopefully this group goes away, Burke has been made a bit better and someone else comes in to finish/operate the hotel and resort.

River19

my prediction, the Q burke hotel does not get fully completed by this group, hopefully they at least get thru the remainder of this year and get one side of the hotel open and the main common areas. I would be amazed if any future projects happen at Burke by this group. This will be a long ugly battle, its almost certain there is illegal activity here, whether it will ever by proven and anyone will ever be proven guilty is another story. Hopefully this group goes away, Burke has been made a bit better and someone else comes in to finish/operate the hotel and resort.

Sadly this possibility is beginning to come into my consciousness as well......when you think about how Ponzi-type schemes typically fall apart and apply that lens to this whole saga....some pieces start to fit.

Inability to quickly produce financial documents which should be readily on hand (ie. they shouldn't have to create them)

Multiple complicated inter-related entities with the same small group of people involved with all of them

Previously supportive business partners distancing themselves from the group when some things start to get a little unclear...

Total inability to even come up with a plan to return investors money let alone being able to do it

Every regulatory body near these projects throwing out the caution flag and wanting to dig in but running into barriers to doing so

Maybe some of this explains while an obviously over matched Jr. was put in charge of things.......

And maybe the whole thing is a conspiracy theory and everything is on the up and up.....but usually where there is smoke, there is fire.

And there has been smoke for a while around this thing......

thetrailboss

Staff member
So I just read that article. Damn, not good at all. I love how they downplay it as "a voluntary" investigation. Doesn't sound too voluntary. And I also love how the State now realizes that they could be in trouble too and are distancing themselves.

I sincerely hope that there is nothing wrong here, but it is sad that the State wasn't properly overseeing things initially. It could have avoided a lot of trouble.

This line is particularly disturbing for Burke fans:

The Department of Financial Regulation has asked the developers to also hold money in escrow for Q Burke and suggested that the developers could get a bridge loan for the project. Stenger and Quiros have balked at the idea, insisting that it will “cripple” the project’s ability to continue construction.

“DFR has requested all projects use an escrow account but realizes that in the case of QBurke Resort Hotel the project is already underway and that escrowing funds would not work for an already under construction project,” Stenger said by email. “We are working with DFR right now cooperatively to assure the review is complete and construction funds are fully available to the project.”

It perhaps explains the slow progress.

burski

Wow, not a good day for Burke news, just heard that long time BMA headmaster is leaving BMA after this winter to take over Vail's academy

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
north-korea_1017069i.jpg

mbedle

Sell what, a half finished hotel on a 20 year struggling ski resort? Plus the hotel is a separate entity from the ski area (albeit owned by the same people). It might end up like Bolton and have two different owners (the base is separate from the ski terrain). The worst possible thing they could do at this point is stop construction on the hotel. If I was a regular visitor to Burke or owned a home there, I would be praying right now that this doesn't fail.

DoublePlanker

Who would buy it and inherit all these problems? I think the problems have to get sorted out before somebody would buy it. Unless they can sell some assets clean.

VTKilarney

You are assuming that a purchaser would pay the construction cost. With my scenario they would pay pennies on the dollar. It's better for an investor to get something than nothing. Ask the folks at Jay how their exit plan is going.

BenedictGomez

Agreed, but I am not sure where Vtdigger is getting their numbers and how accurate they are.

Lets hope they're not accurate for Burke's sake.

So I just read that article. Damn, not good at all. I love how they downplay it as "a voluntary" investigation. Doesn't sound too voluntary.

It's not. The SEC doesnt knock on your door and ask, "pretty-please?" - that's not how it works.

Hopefully Peaks buys it. I'd love to have Burke and Jay on my season pass.

A man can dream

MTN could outbid SKIS if they both sought it. Jay Peak on the cheap with all the capital improvements would be a boon, but I'm not really sure anyone would want Burke. If it was forced in a package deal, they could try to sell-off Burke though.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It's not. The SEC doesnt knock on your door and ask, "pretty-please?" - that's not how it works.

Exactly! The $22k in "donations" to Mr. Shumlin stopped the state oversight; but the Feds are a different story. Nothing lately from the "Washington" Delegation about how awesome Stenger et al are.

thetrailboss

Staff member
A perhaps well-timed Email just came from Q proclaiming:

Things have kicked into high gear and we now have anywhere from 300 construction workers (plus) onsite daily to keep our target opening date of December 11th. Some highlights from our construction company, PeakCM include:
* Framing for the South West balcony roof overhand is complete.
* Boilers in the main mechanical room have been installed.
* Sprinkler rough-in is complete in the west wing attic.
* Fireplaces and heat pumps have been installed in the West residential floors.