• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

VTKilarney

Hotel rates have been posted on the new website. The rates are for two adults, "ski and stay" in a studio room:

Early Season (December 11th through December 25th, 2015) starting from $173.00

Holiday (December 26th – December 31st, 2015 ) starting from $403.00

Regular Season (Jan 2nd through March 26th, 2016 | excluding Jan 15-17 and Feb 13-20) starting from $271.00

Peak (Jan 15-17) & Presidents Week (Feb 13-20) starting from $353.00

Late Season (March 27 through Apr 9) starting from $190.00

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
It looks like the webcam is gone.

Lost it with the new website. This was the final screenshot I captured from it.

north-korea_1017069i.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryugyong_Hotel

VTKilarney

To assure potential future investors that everything is fine, they have apparently opened phase 1 of the hotel ahead of schedule:

Hotel 3.jpg

BenedictGomez

Hotel rates have been posted on the new website. The rates are for two adults, "ski and stay" in a studio room:

Holiday (December 26th – December 31st, 2015 ) starting from $403.00

Regular Season (Jan 2nd through March 26th, 2016 | excluding Jan 15-17 and Feb 13-20) starting from $271.00

Peak (Jan 15-17) & Presidents Week (Feb 13-20) starting from $353.00

Is it simply the fact that I am "God of SOTC", or do these prices seem kind-of high?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Is it simply the fact that I am "God of SOTC", or do these prices seem kind-of high?

I would not be surprised if there is some steep discounting once things get going. If they have not improved their snowmaking capacity, then NOBODY will pay $403 per night for Burke. Sorry it's the truth. Their lack of capacity is a serious issue and their "work" this year will not fix that problem.

deadheadskier

Staff member
See, I don't view $400 for Christmas week for two people including skiing to be that outrageous for premium slope side lodging. That works out to like $270 for the room and $130 for the lift tickets. It's not cheap, but about what I'd expect for that week.

Now, if it was $403 per person, that would be ridiculous for Burke.

thetrailboss

Staff member
See, I don't view $400 for Christmas week for two people including skiing to be that outrageous for premium slope side lodging. That works out to like $270 for the room and $130 for the lift tickets. It's not cheap, but about what I'd expect for that week.

Now, if it was $403 per person, that would be ridiculous for Burke.

But would you pay that for maybe half of the training slope (via the Poma), one route off the summit (Willoughby-Lower Bear Den-Lower Warrens) and maybe one route on the lower mountain? Many would not. That's worst case I know, but the last couple of seasons it has been pretty meager skiing up there in the early season/Christmas period.

River19

But would you pay that for maybe half of the training slope (via the Poma), one route off the summit (Willoughby-Lower Bear Den-Lower Warrens) and maybe one route on the lower mountain? Many would not. That's worst case I know, but the last couple of seasons it has been pretty meager skiing up there in the early season/Christmas period.

This will obviously be the key, you can't charge a premium price for a sub-premium product. So they need to make sure there are plenty of funds for finishing the hotel AND the snow making for the hotel pricing to remotely make sense. But they know that too.

mbedle

Has anyone seen any snow making upgrades taking place at the Burke. Is it possible to temporarily fix the snow making issues this season and complete the upgrades next season? I thought I read that the limiting factor was air and something about renting air compressors.

As far as the room rates, that is a really good deal for a room with a small kitchen. I am surprised that they will not have any regular hotel room available by opening date.

VTKilarney

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that there were no regular hotel rooms. They are suites, one bedroom, two bedroom, and three bedroom units.

River19

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that there were no regular hotel rooms. They are suites, one bedroom, two bedroom, and three bedroom units.

If so.......

If the hotel thing goes south they could easily convert those to condos........

Either way......the popcorn is popping and we'll all just sit back and see how things play out and hope that whatever the outcome it benefits Burke and the area.