• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

VTKilarney

It seems as if the majority of construction jobs have gone to non-locals. It also seems as if the management jobs will go to non-locals.

So the job creation for the locals is pretty much limited to chamber maids and the like.

fbrissette

It seems as if the majority of construction jobs have gone to non-locals. It also seems as if the management jobs will go to non-locals.

So the job creation for the locals is pretty much limited to chamber maids and the like.

Did you expect it to be otherwise ? Management requires prior experience which is hard to find in remote areas.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Did you expect it to be otherwise ? Management requires prior experience which is hard to find in remote areas.

Not necessarily. Vermont, being a "tourist state", surely has qualified management locally that could have been tapped.

Remember that a big part of Stenger's deal is that it would create jobs for the locals.

fbrissette

Not necessarily. Vermont, being a "tourist state", surely has qualified management locally that could have been tapped.

Remember that a big part of Stenger's deal is that it would create jobs for the locals.

Not saying it is impossible, but certainly a challenge. There are undoubtedly many qualified Vermonters (including some local), but then you have to compete with other potential employers in the Burlington/Stowe area (for example) which are truly 4-season destinations. One of the challenge of all 'remote' areas is losing their qualified personal to 'urban' areas where the best jobs usually are.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not saying it is impossible, but certainly a challenge. There are undoubtedly many qualified Vermonters (including some local), but then you have to compete with other potential employers in the Burlington/Stowe area (for example) which are truly 4-season destinations. One of the challenge of all 'remote' areas is losing their qualified personal to 'urban' areas where the best jobs usually are.

Very true.

River19

I did see that is an opening at the Hotel for a new super hero........."Captain Banquet"............able to leap buffet tables in a single bound?

Anyone?

Anyone?

AdironRider

Banquet Captain is actually a pretty cherry gig. One of the better F&B positions out there. Non-management so you still get tipped fat, but none of that 2 something an hour minimum wage servers deal with. (I did it for a summer and was getting paid 15 an hour plus tips, which usually worked out to 15, plus overtime on top of all that) Usually plenty of time to ski in the winter, but gangbusters in summer.

I wouldn't want to do it if I had kids, but that applies to pretty much every F&B position.

River19

Banquet Captain is actually a pretty cherry gig. One of the better F&B positions out there. Non-management so you still get tipped fat, but none of that 2 something an hour minimum wage servers deal with. (I did it for a summer and was getting paid 15 an hour plus tips, which usually worked out to 15, plus overtime on top of all that) Usually plenty of time to ski in the winter, but gangbusters in summer.

I wouldn't want to do it if I had kids, but that applies to pretty much every F&B position.

Perhaps they should change the name on the site then to Banquet Captain vs. Captain Banquet.......I'm working on the super hero uniform as we speak......

thetrailboss

Staff member
Perhaps they should change the name on the site then to Banquet Captain vs. Captain Banquet.......I'm working on the super hero uniform as we speak......

It probably should be Banquet Captain but they misnamed it. Just shows that despite what they say about being sophisticated and all it is still amateur hour. Especially if us armchair resort operators can see that error. Although their marketing gal is pretty cute. ;)

AdironRider

Oh no doubt, I actually forgot the entire premise of this thread for a minute there, being the complete ineptitude of Burke's management.

Still a sweet gig for a young 20's guy or gal with great ski time.

crank

I thought the premise of this thread was just to keep this thread going.

BenedictGomez

"Stenger has said those safeguards make it easier, not harder, to attract investment"

That's hysterical!

"We screwed up so bad that increased government involvement makes it easier to get cash"

This Stenger character has gone full-blown huckster.

EDIT:

And this bit is not good. By not answering, we know the answer.

Donegan says any new investments in Q Burke will stay in escrow until a full financial review is complete. She will not comment specifically on whether Stenger has submitted documentation in a timely way. But she does say that EB-5 review is highly detailed and time-consuming for both the state and the project developers.

<------ Still awaiting full Federal investigation.

Masskier

In Today's Cal Record

[FONT=Verdana, Times New Roman, Times, Serif]EB-5 Projects Stenger: Construction Continues At Jay Peak, Q Burke, AnC Bio VT[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Times New Roman, Times, Serif]Mid-summer Hiatus At Jay Peak Townhouses Construction Now Back On Schedule[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Times New Roman, Times, Serif]By Robin Smith Staff Writer[/FONT]

thetrailboss

Staff member
http://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Some interesting quotes:

But Stenger and Quiros had already raised tens of millions of dollars for AnC Bio and Q Burke — and they had already begun construction on the latter. The fundraising suspensions threatened to hold up further work, leaving earlier investors in immigration limbo and imperiling hundreds of construction jobs.

Burke Mountain has been in business for 60 years, Stenger noted, as he drove through Lyndonville toward the ski resort he and Quiros bought in 2012. But, he argued, it has never capitalized on the ready supply of skiers from Boston, just three hours away.
"There's not one hotel in the community!" he exclaimed incredulously.
It was a bit of an exaggeration. A moment later, he passed the Lynburke Motel, a dreary brown building with a faded red sign advertising free Wi-Fi.
"Every weekend, that's full of skiers," he remarked with a touch of disdain.
In Stenger's mind, the dearth of accommodations spoke to something bigger.
"There's a tendency in Vermont — maybe it's in all small areas — that people underestimate their capacity. They think, How could something like this happen in Vermont? Well, why the hell not? Why the hell not?" he asked. "You look back on Burlington. People probably said at one point in time, 'IBM in Essex? Are you kidding?'"
Stenger drove halfway up Burke Mountain and parked his car just below the Mid-Burke Lodge, a relic of the resort's quieter days. Along the way, he gestured at a parking lot filled with pickup trucks.
"These are all workers," he said. "These are all people working on this projectright here."
Standing under a ski lift, Stenger looked with admiration upon his handiwork. Below him, two large, partially built hotels sprung up from the ski slope, framing Willoughby Gap in the distance.
"Beautiful. God, look at that," he exclaimed. "There's probably 300 guys in there right now, all from Caledonia and Orleans County — and some from Lamoille."

Three miles away, up another hill, Stenger slowed as he passed the Inn at Mountain View Farm. Across the street and down the road stood an elegant, three-story mansion with 35 rooms and a view in every direction.
Stenger had claimed just hours earlier that his developing days were numbered — that after completing his Newport projects, it would be "time for someone else" to take over. But as he puttered up the driveway, he let slip his latest plan: He'd been talking to the mansion's owner about turning the property into a retreat — or, perhaps, the home of a think tank.
It's on the market for $4.5 million.
Was the king of the Kingdom serious about buying the place? Did he really have another project in him?
"You gotta get the funds together," he said. "I think it's doable, but it's not on the front burner."