• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

I just got an Email the other day about the Hotel's opening. It had a nice discount for a room and talked about the new restaurants and shops there. I also heard on the Channel 7 (LSC) story that they have 300 job openings. They could not fully staff the ski area last season due to, well, an obvious management issue. I really don't see how they are going to hire enough staff to run the Hotel.

What is the $15 resort fee listed in the fine print ?

yeggous

Really stupid to charge the fee. Just put it in with the room rate.

Yes, it is just the way to hide costs. They play this game to make the room look cheaper on paper. I consider it a dishonest business practice.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

VTKilarney

Is it true that the travel agent doesn't get a commission on the resort fee?

No matter how you slice it, it's a way to hide costs. Consumers HATE resort fees - and for good reason.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Really stupid to charge the fee. Just put it in with the room rate.

+ 1

It's kind of like buying airfare. You want to bring bags? That's $25 each bag. You want something to eat? You have to pay for that. You want a chance to get overhead carry-on space? Need to pay.

deadheadskier

Staff member
+ 1

It's kind of like buying airfare. You want to bring bags? That's $25 each bag. You want something to eat? You have to pay for that. You want a chance to get overhead carry-on space? Need to pay.

It's worse though because you can't refuse the service and fee. You can't say, "I'm not using the pool, I'm not paying the fee."

VTKilarney

And let's not forget that the hotel's facilities hardly justify any sort of resort fee.

LONGBOARDR

The resort fee is applied at all Q resorts.
Jay Peak for example does. 20?/day
They supply a coupon book of discounts to justify, not worth it IMO.
But if you do the math, it is quite the nice revenue enhancer.
Well worth the negative vibe in their eyes.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Right, but they could do the coupon thing and look like rock stars if they just snuck the fee into the room rate. Even though at the end of the day the consumer would pay the same, they don't feel as though they're being nickel and dimed on everything. It only looks even shadier because they slip the fees into the fine print.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Right, but they could do the coupon thing and look like rock stars if they just snuck the fee into the room rate. Even though at the end of the day the consumer would pay the same, they don't feel as though they're being nickel and dimed on everything. It only looks even shadier because they slip the fees into the fine print.

Especially since they have no competition per se.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

burski

If you put the fee in the room rate then it goes to the hotel revenue stream and needs to be split with EB5 investors. If you keep it separate it goes into Q's pocket alone.

thetrailboss

Staff member
If you put the fee in the room rate then it goes to the hotel revenue stream and needs to be split with EB5 investors. If you keep it separate it goes into Q's pocket alone.

That's a good point. Also consider that they are deeply discounted rooms at this point. So guess who is going to be taking the hit financially?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

whitemtn27

To be fair, on their website it says "All Rates are subject to a $15/day Resort Fee" right in the main body of the room details.

Now, I haven't been to Burke since the whole Q thing happened. I have stayed at Jay's Tram Haus which, although pricey, is really nice. We went for one of their end-of-season blowout deal weekends and had a great time. So I thought maybe we'd splurge and check out the new Hotel Burke.

Thing is though, these rates are... ah... not competitive. The 30% off promo brings the cost down to the right ballpark, but the $90 in hot tub fees for a long weekend bumps it back up above similar lodging elsewhere. Do they really think the product is worth a super-premium price point?

Smellytele

To be fair, on their website it says "All Rates are subject to a $15/day Resort Fee" right in the main body of the room details.

Now, I haven't been to Burke since the whole Q thing happened. I have stayed at Jay's Tram Haus which, although pricey, is really nice. We went for one of their end-of-season blowout deal weekends and had a great time. So I thought maybe we'd splurge and check out the new Hotel Burke.

Thing is though, these rates are... ah... not competitive. The 30% off promo brings the cost down to the right ballpark, but the $90 in hot tub fees for a long weekend bumps it back up above similar lodging elsewhere. Do they really think the product is worth a super-premium price point?
Should only be 45 extra for a long weekend.