• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

River19

And WTF do I keep getting hammered with the "Save 30% on your Holiday Vacation. Availability Limited" ads from Q........"Limited"? yeah no shit, friggin' hotel isn't open over the holidays you schmucks.......Marketing Team is surely on top of things.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Good point on staffing. It's a nightmare at a ski area under normal conditions. They will end up being unbelievably short staffed at that facility. Those who do work will have no choice, but to work 6-7 days a week and very long days. Service will undoubtedly suffer big time.

VTKilarney

There was nothing in the newspaper today about the delayed hotel opening, so LSC News 7 really got a scoop. I wonder if some college students were told not to show up to work next week.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Ha!! - always the politician. Is Threecy's press release more about the Hotel not opening or the controversy around EB-5 management?

I'm not saying the information isn't relevant, it's just that the article seems to focus mostly on EB-5.

VTKilarney

The website is still promoting hotel deals for Christmas week. Apparently marketing doesn't watch LSC News7.

River19

Ha!! - always the politician. Is Threecy's press release more about the Hotel not opening or the controversy around EB-5 management?

I'm not saying the information isn't relevant, it's just that the article seems to focus mostly on EB-5.

I'm sure the dialog/storyline from the Q is that the delayed opening is due to the state doing XYZ.....which of course comes back to root cause of why the state is involved in that capacity in the first place. Q has always been kinda low on the accountability ladder......sorry to reference some corporate operating systems there, but the company I work for tends to function correctly......perhaps Q could take some lessons there.

But effin' A Stenger is "Excited!".........

River19

The website is still promoting hotel deals for Christmas week. Apparently marketing doesn't watch LSC News7.

That was my point earlier....I was literally typing my post/rant this morning about the 1/15 targeted opening and as soon as I hit submit.....I go to FB and my twice daily blast of "30% off holiday packages" crap was hitting me in the face still.

VTKilarney

But effin' A Stenger is "Excited!".........
Good point. If Stenger says that he is "excited", then we all should be "excited". After all, the hotel will have an outdoor pool! That's enough to get Masskier "excited".

At least the webcam shows some snow falling, even if it's just an inch or so.

River19

Good point. If Stenger says that he is "excited", then we all should be "excited". After all, the hotel will have an outdoor pool! That's enough to get Masskier "excited".

At least the webcam shows some snow falling, even if it's just an inch or so.

More snow than the damn fan guns have made......

thetrailboss

Staff member
Some thoughts here:

First, as with any construction project, it is almost inevitable that delays will occur. When I drove up there in October, I was very surprised to see how much work remained. They were very ambitious to maintain that they would make the December 11th deadline. The fact that they continuously dug in and said that December 11th was a firm date was foolish. It would have been better to have a soft opening and to set the opening at a later date when they had a firmer grasp as to when the end was in sight. But they showed their lack of experience by just repeating what they said.

Second, it has been said, and I've asked it, but WHO is going to work here? They can barely get enough people to run the ski area. They have pissed off everyone in their backyard and nobody in the hospitality or ski industry take Q seriously. Sure, import some folks working on visas as Ginn did a few years back, but it is too late for that now.

Third, what the hell is Ary STILL doing there? He was supposed to be "gone" this spring. We were skeptical of that one.

And as to the refrain from a few that we are all just upset about sour grapes, I think that it should be clear that all is not right here and we're all pretty concerned. The few supporters must be pretty disappointed that they've been misled by the Q on this one.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Also, good theory about how LSC got wind of this. Certainly an intern at the mountain or a student gave them the tip. Makes sense that an LSC student might work there over the holidays with exams going on soon and that he/she got the awkward call from the Q-Enterprise saying that there was "a great disturbance in the Force".

(Love the Star Wars reference? Thank you, now send me my check, George Lucas ;) )

dlague

I am surprised this thread is so active. Is it me or does the same discussions seem to take place? I pop in hoping to see something different but .....

Smellytele

Also, good theory about how LSC got wind of this. Certainly an intern at the mountain or a student gave them the tip. Makes sense that an LSC student might work there over the holidays with exams going on soon and that he/she got the awkward call from the Q-Enterprise saying that there was "a great disturbance in the Force".

(Love the Star Wars reference? Thank you, now send me my check, George Lucas ;) )

George is out of the Star Wars business now it is Disney