• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

thetrailboss

Staff member
There is also a High School race (supposed to be) on Friday. Hoping for the best on that one. Also looks like an FIS race there Sat/Sun so I assume they will need top to bottom on that run. HS and younger USSA races can get away with midstation on the poma. I have to think that for what BMA kids are paying, there better damn well be snow on that training hill!

One would hope, but we are talking about this guy:

Ary-Quiros.jpg

I wonder if there will be a move by BMA to manage the risk of Q by either moving or somehow taking over the mountain (again) since the dumb management is really posing a serious threat to the school.

VTKilarney

I wonder if there will be a move by BMA to manage the risk of Q by either moving or somehow taking over the mountain (again) since the dumb management is really posing a serious threat to the school.

That's actually an interesting idea. I am sure that Quiros would love to unload the ski area operation if he knew that he could still develop and run the hotels, aquatic centers, etc.

I think that a more likely scenario would be that BMA completely takes over the training hill including a right to make snow there without interference from Ary. They could even be responsible for their own grooming.

thetrailboss

Staff member
That's actually an interesting idea. I am sure that Quiros would love to unload the ski area operation if he knew that he could still develop and run the hotels, aquatic centers, etc.

I think that a more likely scenario would be that BMA completely takes over the training hill including a right to make snow there without interference from Ary. They could even be responsible for their own grooming.

They need more than that training hill for the school. Remember that several other ski trails on the mountain, including the Dippers and the Willoughby trails are all F I S sanctioned.

VTKilarney

Hotel reservations have been pushed back. The earliest date is now February 12th.

So best case scenario is that they will open on Friday of President's Day weekend. But a prudent person would wonder if they are going to miss President's Day weekend this year.

VTKilarney

Q Burke threw in the towel and closed for the day. I don't blame them one bit for closing.

flakeydog

FYI- the High School race for tomorrow has been moved to the following week. I suspect that they bumped the race and are using friday to make snow and/or condition the race trail for the FIS race on Sat/Sun. Any observations from those closer to the hill?

VTKilarney

The emailed snow report now claims that they have a total of 53 trails. Just a couple of days ago it was 50, and before that it was 36.

Hopefully someday they will figure out how to count accurately.

VTKilarney

Temporary maintenance to adjust the trail list :D

Maybe they are adding this job announcement:

HEAD OF TRAIL COUNTING:

Must be able to count past 36. Must be able to make numbers up when directed by your superior. Ability to work for a megalomaniac is preferred.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I think they are "updating their website". The email snow report had something about "how do you like our new look".

All kidding and criticism aside, this thaw has been terrible for the non-snowmaking trails on the mtn. They are pretty much back to square 1. I was up a the mtn a lunchtime today (not for skiing) and snapped a few shots. Just ridiculous conditions for February. The groomed trails were probably okay today since the temps were still above freezing.

BurkeBase%20Lodge-Feb4_zpsxrndydtz.jpg

Burke-BMA-Feb4_zpsjdb4tlcu.jpg

Mid-Burke%20Hotel-Feb4_zpse6s1h34e.jpg

Burke-bridge%20to%20the%20hotel-Feb4_zpslikmiki5.jpg

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think they are "updating their website". The email snow report had something about "how do you like our new look".

All kidding and criticism aside, this thaw has been terrible for the non-snowmaking trails on the mtn. They are pretty much back to square 1. I was up a the mtn a lunchtime today (not for skiing) and snapped a few shots. Just ridiculous conditions for February. The groomed trails were probably okay today since the temps were still above freezing.

BurkeBase%20Lodge-Feb4_zpsxrndydtz.jpg

Burke-bridge%20to%20the%20hotel-Feb4_zpslikmiki5.jpg

Wow. That is pretty sad.

VTKilarney

They had better pray for snow. If they don't get a decent amount of natural snow between now and President's Day weekend, they are going to be in a world of hurt.

They gambled on building a hotel before improving snowmaking. In hindsight it was a bad gamble.