• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

oldtimer

""JOEY THE CLOWN""

my congrats to all those on this forum who have consciously resisted the opportunity to use the name of this entertainer as fodder for a joke.

River19

It's not fair to Joey..........especially to be wrapped up so close to Q-nutts jokes......

VTKilarney

Burke skied well today. The snow was firm but very edgeable. I'm not sure how long it will hold up on the weekend, but it was fine today.

The biggest problem is the lack of snow. They are essentially starting from scratch on non-snowmaking trails. Coverage wise, it looked like late March. Even the snowmaking trails are suffering. The Dippers, for example, have a lot of uneven terrain that isn't covered up by sufficient snow. It makes it harder to keep up speed when every thing underneath is translating through.

They are NOT expanding terrain for President's week - at least so far. They are refreshing existing surfaces. Snowmaking today was anemic. They have definitely cut back, even if they are still making it. Instead of the typical 30 guns they are only running 10 or 15.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Wow, it is a terrible season with very low skier days, and yet they CAN'T even properly run a decent promo:

Introducing Turn Back Tuesday Lift ticket deal - purchase 1 full day lift ticket at $60.00 and purchase up to an additional 6 full day lift tickets (same day) for just $19.56/piece. Celebrating our 60th year in operation, what better way than to pass on some savings.

I imagine that they get nobody buying this. The right thing to do to spur traffic would be to sell tickets at $19.56 each. Not $60.00 for the first (which nobody in their right mind would pay for the Q product right now). Besides, it is very unlikely that 7 people in a group are going to even show up on a Tuesday.

oldtimer

I am puzzled. There are lots of signs that point to the opening of a HOTEL at the base of Burke Mountain. I have heard of (and been party to) soft openings of establishments. But this is not soft opening. This is SILENCE.

WTF-

oldtimer

They will be lucky to sell 7 tickets all day.

Wow, it is a terrible season with very low skier days, and yet they CAN'T even properly run a decent promo:

I imagine that they get nobody buying this. The right thing to do to spur traffic would be to sell tickets at $19.56 each. Besides, it is very unlikely that 7 people in a group are going to even show up on a Tuesday.

VTKilarney

The hotel reservation system has been updated yet again. The earliest a reservation can be booked is now February 21st.

So to recap...
Christmas break: Deadline missed
MLK weekend: Deadline missed
President's Day weekend: Deadline missed

And to add insult to injury, they keep taking reservations and cancelling them.

Heopfully they can at least open the restaurant space so Joey the Clown can make his appearance.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The hotel reservation system has been updated yet again. The earliest a reservation can be booked is now February 21st.

So to recap...
Christmas break: Deadline missed
MLK weekend: Deadline missed
President's Day weekend: Deadline missed

And to add insult to injury, they keep taking reservations and cancelling them.

Heopfully they can at least open the restaurant space so Joey the Clown can make his appearance.

Considering their inability to even get a decent audience for their acts he'd be better off not even coming.

VTKilarney

Considering their inability to even get a decent audience for their acts he'd be better off not even coming.

Funny you mention that. The Joey the Clown event has been scrubbed from the website.

And the Valentine's dinner has been moved to the Kingdom Room in the Sherburne Lodge. I can't think of anything more romantic than Valentine's dinner in a ski area's cafeteria.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Funny you mention that. The Joey the Clown event has been scrubbed from the website.

And the Valentine's dinner has been moved to the Kingdom Room in the Sherburne Lodge. I can't think of anything more romantic than Valentine's dinner in a ski area's cafeteria.

Funny thing is that this is what, the third or fourth move for the Hotel opening, and now nobody cares.

VTKilarney

Funny thing is that this is what, the third or fourth move for the Hotel opening, and now nobody cares.

A Q Burke hotel opening delay is getting to be like the sun rising. We just expect it to happen.

It will be interesting to see what they do now. I've been hearing rumors for a couple of weeks that they would not open until May. But then again the hotel sure looks ready to go.

I've also heard a rumor that there is a specific problem with the hotel itself that has to be remedied. This could have accounted for the delay.

The only thing we know is that we just don't know. Ary seems to like it that way. I just feel badly for the people that have booked rooms for holiday periods that have been left scrambling.

thetrailboss

Staff member
A Q Burke hotel opening delay is getting to be like the sun rising. We just expect it to happen.

It will be interesting to see what they do now. I've been hearing rumors for a couple of weeks that they would not open until May. But then again the hotel sure looks ready to go.

I've also heard a rumor that there is a specific problem with the hotel itself that has to be remedied. This could have accounted for the delay.

The only thing we know is that we just don't know. Ary seems to like it that way. I just feel badly for the people that have booked rooms for holiday periods that have been left scrambling.

Let's be honest: after the first two delays nobody is now booking rooms. Anyone who wants to do so is dumb (no offense). Everyone is looking for them to actually open.

River19

Taking your significant other to a dinner in the basement of the Lodge for V-Day is a serious relationship limiting move.......I would be absolutely bullshit if I booked the Hotel dinner and was swapped to this.....then again I wasn't insane enough to think they would open and/or have their collective crap together to produce a quality evening.

RE: the hotel......WTF? I mean let's be clear here, we all doubted their December 11th date and leaned towards the "half empty" view knowing this ownership group continues to lower the bar with every opportunity and then fails to step over their lowered bar, but this kind of epic failure wasn't really on my radar personally.

The Christmas vacation/holiday miss followed quickly by the New Year's miss was sad but not all that surprising......the lack of real snowmaking improvement, disappointing but not that surprising.....Missing MLK weekend.....moving towards a head shaking disaster.......completely missing the President's Day/V-Day Weekend combo after shoving the building full of furniture etc. is a truly surprising epic fail from my perspective.

I mean damn, we knew they were clueless and inept but holy hell it's like they are specifically creating the most amazing "what not to do" business case for schools around the country. You have to really try hard to be this bad.....

VTKilarney

It's really odd how the signals are so mixed. They have definitely made snow on the "trail" that they cut to connect the hotel with High Meadow Pass. Why would you make snow there if the hotel was not going to open for ski season? This suggests that they truly anticipate opening by mid-March. But they have now pushed back reservations until late February, and we all know how little stock to put into their anticipated opening dates.

At some point the potential summer reservations are going to get skittish. I don't think that we are at that point yet, but if they keep playing this game into the spring it's a real possibility.

When it's all said and done, I can't believe that they haven't come up with a way to get the funds in place for the final pieces that are needed to open.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If they don't open for vacation week, it's not worth even turning the lights on until May 1st. May 1st soft opening with a few weeks to ramp up staffing and training for Memorial Day weekend.