Big Burke announcement - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 846 FirstFirst ... 234561454104504 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Masskier View Post
    This is so important for Masskier's properties.

I jest but it is truth. Anyone that got in at Burke should see significant increases in values after this project kicks Burke into high gear. Stenger has gotten more done in a few months than Ginn got done in a few years and never finished.

But this whole "rustic" thing... c'mon. I like Jay's Tram Lodge. But it ain't rustic.

-Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Looks like the Jay-Burke combo pass deserves a second look.
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - H. D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by snowmonster View Post

No kidding right? It's tough to move away from the awesome times in Maine but once your in midwinter you would have no regrets.

I need to spend a summer or two up there, the riding is extra fun, town laid back.

Quote Originally Posted by snowmonster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snoseek View Post
    No kidding right? It's tough to move away from the awesome times in Maine but once your in midwinter you would have no regrets.

I need to spend a summer or two up there, the riding is extra fun, town laid back.
    There's a lot of great things to be said about skiing in Maine. Boyne does an incredible job investing in the SR/SL product. They both are great areas and there's a certain vibe and sense of community among the SR and SL crowds that is very attractive. During the bad seasons, they kill it more than any operator in the east IMO and offer a huge amount of terrain under one pass.

but, if I were an advanced skier from Boston who has little interest in skiing groomers and was willing to drive 3.5-4.5 hours every weekend to ski; Burke/Jay wins easily.

At the basic level there's Burke and Sunday River both 3.5 hours from Boston. Burke gets 250 inches of snow a year, the River 150. Burke is a MUCH easier 3.5 drive. The there's Jay vs Sugarloaf. Jay gets 350 inches, Sugarloaf gets 225. Jay is an exponentially easier 4.5 hour drive from Boston than is Sugarloaf.

It's no wonder why Stenger is going off with the investment in the area especially considering how he's got 4 million potential customers in metro Montreal that are only 2 hours from Jay and 3 hours from Burke.

This number may have been been stated before in a different thread but Stenger was actually quoted yesterday as targeting 150,000 skier visits to Burke.
    You can see my photos here - http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

I have yet to ski the NEK .... most of my trips last year were day trips and the 9 hours driving for 9 hours skiing, particularly given the snow last year, was not happening, but I'm really hoping to make a weekend trip up to visit Jay this year.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

PS: I left the Jay Peak / Burke AZ challenge open a bit longer in case anyone wants to squeak any more questions in to Steve Wright.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    There's a lot of great things to be said about skiing in Maine. Boyne does an incredible job investing in the SR/SL product. They both are great areas and there's a certain vibe and sense of community among the SR and SL crowds that is very attractive. During the bad seasons, they kill it more than any operator in the east IMO and offer a huge amount of terrain under one pass.

but, if I were an advanced skier from Boston who has little interest in skiing groomers and was willing to drive 3.5-4.5 hours every weekend to ski; Burke/Jay wins easily.

At the basic level there's Burke and Sunday River both 3.5 hours from Boston. Burke gets 250 inches of snow a year, the River 150. Burke is a MUCH easier 3.5 drive. The there's Jay vs Sugarloaf. Jay gets 350 inches, Sugarloaf gets 225. Jay is an exponentially easier 4.5 hour drive from Boston than is Sugarloaf.

It's no wonder why Stenger is going off with the investment in the area especially considering how he's got 4 million potential customers in metro Montreal that are only 2 hours from Jay and 3 hours from Burke.
    Like most of us, Im not a casual skier, but the easier drive argument always perplexes me. Maybe its just how Im wired, but 4.5 hours in a car is 4.5 hours in a car, no matter what type of road Im on.

I also fall into the gearhead category, so thats probably part of it.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I have yet to ski the NEK .... most of my trips last year were day trips and the 9 hours driving for 9 hours skiing, particularly given the snow last year, was not happening, but I'm really hoping to make a weekend trip up to visit Jay this year.
    Well you're in luck because it is less than a 7 hour round trip from Uxbridge to Burke and back
    You can see my photos here - http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Like most of us, Im not a casual skier, but the easier drive argument always perplexes me. Maybe its just how Im wired, but 4.5 hours in a car is 4.5 hours in a car, no matter what type of road Im on.
    I think they mean interstate driving versus two-lane back roads.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Thread Information