• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

thetrailboss

Staff member
Bump.

Just getting back after some time in the NEK. Spent a lot of time at the Mountain. Was hoping to ride the Sherburne, but that did not happen. It went down on July 3rd and did not spin after that. I got the scoop as to what happened for those that are bikers or have a Bike Park Season Pass. Apparently, Burke had a major lightning strike(s) that destroyed Sherburne's electrical equipment and other electrical infrastructure. I say "strikes" because the employee told me that the Summit Ski Patrol Building lost power as did Sherburne which are at different points on the mountain. Sherburne needed a part that Poma did not readily have, so apparently Poma and Burke convinced Stowe (Vail) to provide it off a lift not running this summer. After that was installed the lift ran on diesel for a short time before going down again. No word on when it will be running again.

Knowing that other places have had lightning strikes (Sunapee, Sugarbush for example) that have disabled lifts, and hearing about the lengthy process of going through insurance (that covers this sort of occurrence), it may be a while before Sherburne is back up and running.

Other than that, a lot of energy in Burke with biking. Sucks that Sherburne is down because that is a fair chunk of $$$$ lost.

Dirt Church is a fun place. Lots of locals there Saturday night for the new NEK Hiking Book release.

thetrailboss

Staff member