• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

MEtoVTSkier

Yep, it all just defies logic. Any income is better than no income. Like it was said earlier, how much would it REALLY cost to staff a bartender?

deadheadskier

Staff member
When I was an F&B Manager at Wisp in Maryland, I often feuded with the resort GM as he'd have me shut down services early and inconsistently on all but the peak weeks of the season.

He always put it this way. He would hold up a dollar bill and say, "You see this dollar bill? If we do everything right throughout the day, for every dollar we bring in we get to keep a quarter. However, if we realize it's going to be slow and don't operate, we get to keep the whole dollar." I would always argue he had faulty logic because the second dollar of revenue wouldn't exist. Ary must operate under similar concepts.

It was a bad way of doing business and no surprise to me they eventually declared bankruptcy and were forced to sell.

River19

I've never seen a ski area do that.

And you have also never seen a ski area slap a random letter in front of the name either..........none of it follows any real logic, just QLogic....

In order for me to follow some QLogic, I usually just ask myself "self, what would a straight up crack head do right here?".... and that gets me close to QLogic

MEtoVTSkier

When I was an F&B Manager at Wisp in Maryland, I often feuded with the resort GM as he'd have me shut down services early and inconsistently on all but the peak weeks of the season.

He always put it this way. He would hold up a dollar bill and say, "You see this dollar bill? If we do everything right throughout the day, for every dollar we bring in we get to keep a quarter. However, if we realize it's going to be slow and don't operate, we get to keep the whole dollar." I would always argue he had faulty logic because the second dollar of revenue wouldn't exist. Ary must operate under similar concepts.

It was a bad way of doing business and no surprise to me they eventually declared bankruptcy and were forced to sell.
I think his logic was flawed too... What about the dollar he had to hold up on the days not operated? He didn't generate it in the first place obviously, so you get to keep 100% of zero, it's still zero. Not to mention the overhead that is there anyways, no matter if you operate or not...

thetrailboss

Staff member
And you have also never seen a ski area slap a random letter in front of the name either..........none of it follows any real logic, just QLogic....

In order for me to follow some QLogic, I usually just ask myself "self, what would a straight up crack head do right here?".... and that gets me close to QLogic

Sad but true. I think he needs to go build airplanes.....the sooner the better.

DoublePlanker

and you have also never seen a ski area slap a random letter in front of the name either..........none of it follows any real logic, just qlogic....

In order for me to follow some qlogic, i usually just ask myself "self, what would a straight up crack head do right here?".... And that gets me close to qlogic

lol. +1

halfpintvt

I have heard a rumor again from 3 different people that the Mountain is filing for "Chapter 21". I don't know what that is. The only bankruptcy filings I am familiar with are Chapter 7 (straight discharge) and Chapter 13 (reorganization-work out a payment plan with creditors) Has anyone else heard this rumor? Does anyone know what Chapter 21 is?

River19

Never heard of Chapter 21 being "filed" like a bankruptcy, however I do believe in VT Chapter 21 has provisions governing or pertaining to Limited Liability Companies..........

I'm sure someone knows more than I do but......without any more real information it is tough to make sense of that rumor....

thetrailboss

Staff member
Never heard of Chapter 21 being "filed" like a bankruptcy, however I do believe in VT Chapter 21 has provisions governing or pertaining to Limited Liability Companies..........

I'm sure someone knows more than I do but......without any more real information it is tough to make sense of that rumor....

Chapter 21 is the labor code, so I doubt that.

thetrailboss

Staff member
There appears to provisions for mediation and arbitration under Chapter 21 in VT.

Right. For labor issues. And if you look closely you see that those sections have been repealed.

Perhaps it has to do with the Hotel and mediation/arbitration on the payment.

VTKilarney

Bankruptcy rumors are running rampant right now. Does the mountain itself have creditors? One rumor is that they took on debt to cover operational expenses.

At this point rumors are just rumors.

River19

TB - VT Title 11 Chapter 21 is all about LLCs which include everything from formation to dissolving the business etc. I find Sub chapters 5 to 8 interesting.

Of course this is all wildly unsubstantiated rumors.....which are stemming from the recent facts surrounding the $5.5 M owed on the hotel and knowing that it is budget whack a mole up on the mountain as far as operations go.

VTKilarney

If there is going to be a bankruptcy proceeding looking at state law is a waste of time. A bankruptcy would be a federal proceeding governed by federal law.

Could someone have mistaken "Chapter 11" for "Chapter 21"? Chapter 11 is intended for the reorganization of a business.

thetrailboss

Staff member
TB - VT Title 11 Chapter 21 is all about LLCs which include everything from formation to dissolving the business etc. I find Sub chapters 5 to 8 interesting.

Of course this is all wildly unsubstantiated rumors.....which are stemming from the recent facts surrounding the $5.5 M owed on the hotel and knowing that it is budget whack a mole up on the mountain as far as operations go.

Ah, OK. I misspoke. I said Title 21. I see Title 11, Chapter 21 is the LLC chapter (soon to go) and my understanding is that they do have at least one LLC running things and maybe other entities.

ChicoKat

Would anyone know if the mountain ski and bike operations are one in the same. Are they under separate entities?
Would hate to see the complete mismanagement and incompetence demonstrated this winter spill over to the bike park.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Would anyone know if the mountain ski and bike operations are one in the same. Are they under separate entities?
Would hate to see the complete mismanagement and incompetence demonstrated this winter spill over to the bike park.

Pretty sure it is the same entity. Though they may have separate operating entities, it all runs back to Ary.