• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

MEtoVTSkier

Is Qsenior that leveraged that he can't whip out the checkbook for whatever it's going to take to get the doors opened and the revenue stream flowing? Is it REALLY in the State's interest to further delay the opening and potential tax/fee revenues? Are they really STILL going thru and approving expenses with a fine tooth comb before releasing EB5 payments. Wouldn't one think that they'd be required to pass/fail any paperwork in 30 days? Will we see a lawsuit against the State of VT for the loss of income? From some of the pics posted, it sure looks like the insides are reasonably ready to operate, I'm sure they could function fine without a few knick nacks and furnishings until cash starts to flow. I'd say we are overdue for another VTDigger article of the State of Vermont's side of the story, because obviously Jr isn't going to say what's REALLY going on...

River19

Regarding the snow trail to the hotel......

My interpretation, given all the ramped up activity and expense we have seen the past few weeks, beds delivered, food trucks etc.

This feels very much like the decision to not open is out of their hands.......like a failed inspection for something etc. Or a lean from a contractor etc. who knows, but all signs point to this being a surprise to the Qlueless....

VTKilarney

This feels very much like the decision to not open is out of their hands.......like a failed inspection for something etc. Or a lean from a contractor etc. who knows, but all signs point to this being a surprise to the Qlueless....
That would definitely line up with the rumor I heard that a problem with the hotel was discovered that needed to be remedied. I haven't gone into details, because it's just a rumor, but so far my sources have been spot on.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Considering the occupancy inspection was late last week and then this delay in opening popped up, the theory that something failed inspection is probably accurate. I know that internally at the mtn, everyone was expecting to be open this weekend.

VTKilarney

If it is an inspection fail I wonder if Q would hit the contractor with the lost money.
The contractor has stated that they have not been paid for their services in a timely manner. If I were Q, I wouldn't poke too hard at that sleeping dog.

Last edited:

halfpintvt

attachment.php

I don't know why they haven't opened yet but they passed their State Fire Inspection with flying colors and the Town Zoning Admin issued them a Certificate of Occupancy on Friday.

Attachments

• STate Fire Inspection.jpg
    STate Fire Inspection.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 191

VTKilarney

It's definitely a head scratcher. It makes you wonder what's going on behind the scenes.

Who knows... they might open after all.

River19

Unless they are conjuring up a hotel and restaurant staff, or importing them on rafts of EB-5 checks any staff will be the usual faces from the area and this will be their 2nd or 3rd gig. As it is unlikely that premier hospitality talent in Northern New England would be unemployed this late into the Ski season.

But WTF do I know, I just know many of the usual faces that work the local restaurants, stores etc.

Big Wave Dave

Not at Burke. Nobody will work for Q.

this is silly. I have been to Burke twice this year and have noticed zero issues with staffing, grooming, instructor presence, etc. Stop making up mud, there is plenty to actually be critical of at Burke, but last I checked it was people running the place not machines.

where do you live again????

thetrailboss

Staff member
this is silly. I have been to Burke twice this year and have noticed zero issues with staffing, grooming, instructor presence, etc. Stop making up mud, there is plenty to actually be critical of at Burke, but last I checked it was people running the place not machines.

where do you live again????

You're right. Reading comprehension and context are so overrated. Had you actually read the conversation, instead of just dropping an insult, you would have seen that the discussion was on the Hotel and if it would open or not. So grooming, instructor presence, etc. have nothing to do with that. And besides, it's pretty well known that almost all of their experienced staff in those areas left and that they are pretty shortstaffed all around. If you have any understanding that is different from ours (based upon conversations with folks and the fact that there have been many, many want ads for some time for help) than let us know.

As to the comment about my address, pretty lame. I spent four days up there in October and another three in December. I also am going to be up there for a week shortly. And there is this thing called Email. So yes, I am pretty tuned into what is going on up there.

On my next visit I will be sure to conduct a count for you. :roll:

Last edited:

Boardguy

As to the comment about my address, pretty lame. I spent four days up there in October and another three in December. I also am going to be up there for a week shortly.

So after 632 pages we finally get to the real "big Burke announcement" - You are going to grace the NEK with a visit. The excitement up there must be palpable. I hope I am in town so I don't miss the parade. Context is context you said nobody will work for Q but as BWD noted people indeed do at the other mountain departments. So you are saying no one will ever work for Q at the hotel? Huh have to stay tuned for that outcome. I'm thinking that eventually the hotel will open and people will be working there. Hopefully sooner than later.

BenedictGomez

I'm thinking that eventually the hotel will open and people will be working there.

I'm thinking you're right.

I'm also thinking the hotel will be underfunded, highly vacant, and in shocking disrepair in fewer years than anyone might currently expect.

VTKilarney

Another happy Q Burke customer posted on Facebook that Q Burke shouldn't take reservations for the hotel when they can't actually open. The customer posted this after Q Burke responded:

No, I don't understand. Because you weren't truthful with us until 2 days ago, there are no ski resorts available for a family of 5 within 3 hours of my location that isn't 2x the cost of yours. I am not interested in paying $4000 at Smugglers Notch. It is very difficult to plan a vacation at any resort for 2 adults and 3 teenage children. We are required to stay in 2 rooms or a 2/3 bedroom suite which increases the cost of our trips. Your hotel was a perfect fit for all our needs. We are traveling 3+ hours away and I explained in DECEMBER when you cancelled our Christmas vacation trip that Jay was too far and a hotel would not work for us because one family member does not ski due to a long term injury. I was assured by your staff that your hotel would be ready by February vacation. I was agreeable to having our reservation moved. You kept my $1000 deposit and I did not book at another resort nor did I cancel within the last month because of your harsh cancellation policy. You have no right to do this to people who work hard for their money and plan well in advance. Something is very very wrong with how this hotel is being managed.

jimmywilson69

wow so they are keeping deposits and penalizing for cancellations???

I guess after 158 pages, I shouldn't be surprised by this.

VTKilarney

wow so they are keeping deposits and penalizing for cancellations???

I guess after 158 pages, I shouldn't be surprised by this.

I don't think that they are penalizing for their own cancellations. But they don't cancel until the last minute. That's not good for the customer when it's a holiday week.